ADVERTISEMENT

UCF Re-Watch UCONN 56-17

UCF49USF42

Golden Knight
Apr 2, 2018
We are exactly 9 weeks away from game 1 vs FAMU, thanks to @Knightshift I am going to be re-watching all 13 games between now and then. Will be posting my notes from each game with a focus on what went right and what went wrong every drive for the offense and defense. Going to try and focus and not dwell on things like "I'm going to miss KZ, which I am."

Figured everyone else can use the week to re-watch the same game and add their own thoughts to the thread as well. Good way to re-live the season and maybe discover some new things and remember other moments.

Will try and focus on some of the players who will be returning and some of the younger ones who may have a bigger role.

This game I remember got everyone excited with the offense looking just as good as last year. It ended up being true, however it is hard to take too much from the game considering UCONN was the WORST DEFENSE IN THE HISTORY OF MODERN COLLEGE FOOTBALL. Defensively was mostly fine besides for not being able to tackle David Pindell, which was a huge problem. If UCONN could have executed better once they got into UCF territory, they could have put up close to 30 points, but then again they are UCONN. Also very strange that Keenan Johnson and Eric Mitchell were ahead of both Causey and Nate Evans on the depth chart, as it was obvious from game 1 they were NGE.

Here are my notes, I do these mostly when traveling, so on a plane or in the airport. There will be hundreds of misspellings and typos, take it for what it is worth.

UCF UCONN Notes

Drive 1 UCONN Really tough watch A-ROB down like that, such a relief it wasn’t as bad as it looked.

Collier gets absolutely shook out of his shoes by Pindell, he got that start with KG serving his targeting First Half suspension. We will see after we do this re-watch, but he seemed like a liability last year when he was out there after a promising True Freshman year.

UCONN moved the ball to around the 35 and then Richie Grant litterally had a solo turnover, forced fumble fumble recovery.

Drive 1 UCF We went SUPER fast, which set the tone for the entire year. Nixon had a bad drop, but it was smooth other than that. Key 3rd down run by KZ. Gabe made an INSANE TD catch, but it was called back after review. My rule (If the guy makes an insane catch let the play stand.) AK runs it in next play 7-0

Drive 2 UCONN UCONN goes 3-and Out which I believe was the only 3 and Out we forced on the day. UCONN had a critical drop.

Drive 2 UCF Huge run by Taj, great block by JJ and Wyatt, ran a trap, but pulled the left tackle, great play design. Next play 10 seconds latter KZ makes an insane throw outside the pocket on the run to Nixon Touchdown. Biggest advantage KZ has over Mack is his scrambling and throwing outside the pocket IMO. One of the best to ever do it. So great with a broken play. 14-0

Drive 3 Uconn Something of note, very bizarre Keenan Johnson was the starting Nickel considering how good Causey ended up being. We could not tackle Pindell… Stop was after a couple nice run stuffs put them in a 3rd and long and check-drown led to a punt after Uconn entered UCF territory

Drive 3 UCF Lots of KZ runs on this drive… was limping at one point. So this was the only drive we were stopped on. Very bizarre we had 2nd and 2 got 1 yard, 0 yards then on 4th and inches at midfield we punt. should have went for it, but maybe in CJH’s first game he wanted to play it conservative. Would put converting a 4th and 1 vs that awful defense at probably around 90% he certainly wasn’t that conservative the rest of the year. Rare bad punt by Mac

Drive 4 UCONN We had stopped them, but a terrible offsides penalty by Keenan Johnson gave them a First Down. A couple great plays against the run by Trysten Hill on this drive. Then 5! missed tackles on 3rd and 9 on Pindell give UCONN drive extending first down. Rough drive for Eric Mitchell, wonder why he started the year over Nate Evans, he missed 3 tackles alone on this drive. UCONN FG 14-3

Drive 4 UCF UCFast drive, 4 plays 76 yes 53 seconds. 45 yard bomb to Tre sets up 10 yd slat to Gabe for the TD, just a beautiful throw on the Bomb to Nixon, moves the safety with his eyes. 21-3 UCF

Drive 5 UCONN Pindell really was great in this game, felt bad for the guy all year. He was a baller. UCONN converted a 4th and 2, nice play design. Another missed tackle by #3 on this drive. UCONN scored on basically the same play they ran 4 times, or a variation of, a play action then the backside tight end slipping through underneath for an easy drop=off. Worked on 4th and 2 and worked on the touchdown. 21-10

Drive 5 UCF 3 straight Play Action passes to Snelson that were laughably easy. UCONN had to call TO UCF was going so fast. Eventually UCF scored on a 3rd down pass to Otis. Where the TE (Coulbs) just drove the two defenders out of the play, very easy UCONN defense really was like playing against air at times. 28-10

Drive 6 UCONN UCONN moving the ball well, both BAM and Clarke did have two excellent coverage plays 1on1. Fortunate to go up half 18, could have easily been 11 or 15. Outstanding play by Richie Grant ( I am sensing a theme)

UCF runs clock out, not a true possession

HALF 28-10

Drive 6 UCF Super Sexy deep ball from KZ to Gabe on the sideline to start the drive, called incomplete, honestly looked good. UCF actually had to convert a couple 3rd downs this drive; including one to Tristan Payton! Easy TD run for Otis, did an outstanding job setting up blockers. 35-10

Drive 7 UCONN Pindell scrambles for another first down on 3rd and long. Another 3rd and long conversion, this was taking advantage of Pat in zone coverage, which would be a theme throughout the year. (Dan Orlovsky also called it before it happened, I though he was excellent doing UCF games this year) UCONN tried to run that same play on 3rd and short that I referenced earlier and UCF was all over. Loss of 4. (2nd HALF RANDY) then on 4th down after I just criticized his zone coverage skills, he makes a great play! Shades of Bobby Wagner!

Drive 7 UCF on 3rd down UCF runs a pick play to AK on a Wheel route, same play they would use to score TD against latter in the year vs Cincy. KZ makes an insane play after Jake Brown gets beat in pass protection, but Gabe couldn’t come up with it. KZ basically had a perfect night considering the drops. This was probably Gabe’s worst game of the year, big play called back, bad drop, also had a fumble called back. True Nixon then scored on incredibly easy slant. 42-10

Drive 8 UCONN Long TD run by Pindell that gets called back, after Pindell shook Eric Mitchell out of his shoes. UCONN long drive due to just Pindell scrambling and not being able to stop him, UCF completely shut down the standard UCONN running game. Eric Mitchell did make some good plays vs the run. UCONN tried to run the same play AGAIN on 3rd and short, Randy Charlton made a great play to knock it down. Then on 4th down, Richie Grant (Again) makes outstanding play to stop drag route short of the first down, with some help from Clarke. UCONN moved the ball pretty easily all game, but couldn’t finish drives at all.

Drive 8 UCF Greg McCrae time, oh yea he is really good, nasty 20+ yard run making multiple guys miss. Another drop, this time by Snelson. Then Taj Decapitates a poor UCONN man’s head. UCF goes for it on 4th and 2 WIDE open Greg McCrae on wheel route out of the backfield. 49-10, that was it for the starters on offense 49-10 14:47 left 4th quarter.

Drive 9 UCONN Backups in on defense, looking at some guys who could contribute. Mason actually made a nice pass rush move, but had no chance to stop Pindell with his athleticism. Then Nate Evans makes an incredible play, no idea why he didn’t start at the beginning of the year. Then crazy play, horrible missed tackle by Kyle Gibson. Then he ends up fumbling, caused by Causey (Another guy I’m not sure why it took so long to get into the lineup.)

Drive 9 UCF Mack in at QB, first pass in short screen to Marlon. Another completion to Marlon, who remains TOUGH to tackle. Then zone Read keep for Mack, and yea he is fast… Great blocking, especially by Hescock! Loved seeing how hyped everyone was for Mack.

Drive 10 UCONN Were you guys aware Tua and KZ knew each other? The Backup D LINE, Turnier, Mason, Davis were mot very impressive. UCF fell for that same play UCONN has ran about 10 times again. UCONN coverts another first down and a scramble TD for Pindell. 56-17, rough angle taken by KG.

Drive 10 UCF (Not a complete Drive, UCF ran out clock) A few nice physical runs by Bentavious on the final drive, will be interesting to see how much PT he gets.

Final 56-17

UCF had 56 points on 9 completed drives that is 6.2 points per possession, a bonkers number (We should have went for it on that one drive as well.)
UCONN 17 on 10 1.7 Points per possession.

Yards per play UCF 9.3
UCONN 5.6

https://www.espn.com/college-football/boxscore?gameId=401019470

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.