ADVERTISEMENT

**UCF v Temple**

One bright side. How many teams can give up over 700 yards of offense and still WIN? Replace Russo's name with Tua or Lawrence.

If UCF misses the playoff but goes 13-0, perhaps they'll get a matchup with one of the non-potent offenses. UF, ND, Michigan, Kentucky I would take UCF on a neutral field.

Incorrect. If you are in a P5 conference, winning is usually enough. But if your a G5 team AND hope to keep a Top 10 ranking, you have to DOMINATE everyone you play because you generally are not playing other ranked teams, or will you have the opportunity to do so until the bowl game. Just not a lot of opportunites for "impressive" wins, hence the need to dominate. Giving up 40 plus points to Temple is bad. Period.
Eh Temple beat Maryland and lost to Boston College by 10 on the road.
Of course they'll get murdered by Houston next week because just like Memphis they wont forget how they had us against the ropes.

Incorrect. If you are in a P5 conference, winning is usually enough. But if your a G5 team AND hope to keep a Top 10 ranking, you have to DOMINATE everyone you play because you generally are not playing other ranked teams, or will you have the opportunity to do so until the bowl game. Just not a lot of opportunites for "impressive" wins, hence the need to dominate. Giving up 40 plus points to Temple is bad. Period.

Is that you Kirk?

One bright side. How many teams can give up over 700 yards of offense and still WIN? Replace Russo's name with Tua or Lawrence.

If UCF misses the playoff but goes 13-0, perhaps they'll get a matchup with one of the non-potent offenses. UF, ND, Michigan, Kentucky I would take UCF on a neutral field.
Id play any of them except Kentucky only because of how psyched they'll be to finally play a New Years Six bowl game.

Is that you Kirk?
Just stating the facts. It is what it is. Perception is everything with the voters. If you want to win the AAC, just keep winning and that will take care of itself. But if you want to be ranked as a Top Ten team nationally, you have to play like a top ten team, which means dominating lesser competition, which unfortunately is all UCF has to play; no real opportunities to beat equal or better competition until the bowl. The offense is a top ten offense, no doubt about it. They can score on anyone. Defensively, however......again, cant be giving up over 40 points to Temple and keep a Top Ten ranking. And if you do have a game like that, expect the critics to come out full force.

Not sure who on espin said it but KZ said he’s not worried about the CFP, just going 1-0 each week. Cuts to studio and hot air says I don’t think the CFP is worried about central Florida either. What a bunch of clowns.

Reactions: ucfversusbcs
Yea our defense needs turnovers to make a difference. Our o scores too quckly and our d needs tos in krdwr to stay fresh.

Just stating the facts. It is what it is. Perception is everything with the voters. If you want to win the AAC, just keep winning and that will take care of itself. But if you want to be ranked as a Top Ten team nationally, you have to play like a top ten team, which means dominating lesser competition, which unfortunately is all UCF has to play; no real opportunities to beat equal or better competition until the bowl. The offense is a top ten offense, no doubt about it. They can score on anyone. Defensively, however......again, cant be giving up over 40 points to Temple and keep a Top Ten ranking. And if you do have a game like that, expect the critics to come out full force.
Ohio State gave up 49 to Purdue...but Tyler. Wazzu lost to piss poor Southern Cal. The writers prop up a good portion of the SEC teams with one loss.
Of course, if a 3 loss p5 team beats a ranked p5 team, it means the 3 loss team is good. Yet we struggle with a 3 now 4 loss team, we suck.
Kinda silly if you ask me.

Yea our defense needs turnovers to make a difference. Our o scores too quckly and our d needs tos in krdwr to stay fresh.
They just need more reliable players on the depth chart.
Most importantly offense needs to be set the pace, be aggressive and be efficient. We're lacking.

Best of luck to the Cows on their trip to Philly. If that same Temple team shows up they are in trouble.
other than some major game prep and scheme issues on the Defense this team seems to not realize how big the punch is coming from the other side. I love DW but him talking so much is putting a massive bullseye on us, I doubt Temple comes out with the same energy vs USF

Reactions: HammerB08
Is that you Kirk?

Vegas had this game pegged at UCF by 10-12 points. It really isn't a shocking result in that sense, but I guess since it was high scoring it looks worse and is a talking point, but UCF put up 12 more points. Let's see how Temple fares the rest of the year.

other than some major game prep and scheme issues on the Defense this team seems to not realize how big the punch is coming from the other side. I love DW but him talking so much is putting a massive bullseye on us, I doubt Temple comes out with the same energy vs USF
lol i wouldnt be surprised if Armstead sits against Houston next week.
They get killed by 50. Reason? Left their hearts at Spectrum Stadium.

Best of luck to the Cows on their trip to Philly. If that same Temple team shows up they are in trouble.

Fair point. I think we're taking a lot of teams best shots. FAU, Memphis, and Temple come to mind. I'll be interested to see how Temple looks going forward.

Ohio State gave up 49 to Purdue...but Tyler. Wazzu lost to piss poor Southern Cal. The writers prop up a good portion of the SEC teams with one loss.
Of course, if a 3 loss p5 team beats ... team, it means the 3 loss team is good. Yet we struggle with a 3 now 4 loss team, we suck.

And that goes with what I was talking about.....perception. Whether they are good or not, your still talking about Purdue (B10, or whatever the current number is) and freaking USC. USC could be 0-8 and they are still USC. Temple could probably beat both of those teams, but ....Temple...perception is that they are an AAC team who is not on the same level as a P5 conf team, therefore they should be dominated. Im not saying it right, but it is what it is. As long as UCF is in the AAC, they are gonna have to work harder than the P5 teams when it comes to impressing AP voters, Coaches voters, whoever. I no longer live in FL but I try to discuss and promote UCF as much as I can, as I always have. First thing I hear from friends is "how can they be a Top Ten team ,they dont play anyone all year". Which I take to mean, to the average person, if your not P%, your nothing on the CFB landscape.

Vegas had this game pegged at UCF by 10-12 points. It really isn't a shocking result in that sense, but I guess since it was high scoring it looks worse and is a talking point, but UCF put up 12 more points. Let's see how Temple fares the rest of the year.

The first halves of these games have been defensive nightmares. At least they are making halftime adjustments.

And that goes with what I was talking about.....perception. Whether they are good or not, your still talking about Purdue (B10, or whatever the current number is) and freaking USC. USC could be 0-8 and they are still USC. Temple could probably beat both of those teams, but ....Temple...perception is that they are an AAC team who is not on the same level as a P5 conf team, therefore they should be dominated. Im not saying it right, but it is what it is. As long as UCF is in the AAC, they are gonna have to work harder than the P5 teams when it comes to impressing AP voters, Coaches voters, whoever. I no longer live in FL but I try to discuss and promote UCF as much as I can, as I always have. First thing I hear from friends is "how can they be a Top Ten team ,they dont play anyone all year". Which I take to mean, to the average person, if your not P%, your nothing on the CFB landscape.
You have to respect USC. 0-8 or not they demand respect *

You have to respect USC. 0-8 or not they demand respect *

I always go back to when UCF beat Bama. Bama was awful that year....but it was Alabama, which made it a huge win! A win over an very good non-power 5 team still doesnt mean as much in voters minds as beating a team that is perceived to be good based on name value....but still sucks. Its why most of the country wouldnt give UCF a fair shake last year until they beat Auburn. Same deal as when they beat Baylor. So if UCF had the opportunity to play and beat USC, that would mean everything, cause even though USC might not even be as good as Temple (and they might not be) its still USC, and that would get peoples attention.

Yet we struggle with a 3 now 4 loss team, we suck.
Agree. Oklahoma has won with average to bad defenses for a decade. They've given up massive yardage to every crappy team in the Big 12 at one time or another. No one held it against them.

Serious defense is a thing of the past except for select teams in the SEC. Now that the pass interference rules are more strictly enforced it keeps good passing teams like Purdue in games with supposedly great defensive teams like Ohio State. The same as UCF beating Auburn's vaunted defense.

A win over an very good non-power 5 team still doesnt mean as much in voters minds as beating a team that is perceived to be good based on name value....but still sucks. Its why most of the country wouldnt give UCF a fair shake last year until they beat Auburn. Same deal as when they beat Baylor. So if UCF had the opportunity to play and beat USC, that would mean everything, cause even though USC might not even be as good as Temple (and they might not be) its still USC, and that would get peoples attention.
Lol yet UCF beats Pittsburgh and all of a sudden focus on their record.

Reactions: Stormthecourt?
Agree. Oklahoma has won with average to bad defenses for a decade. They've given up massive yardage to every crappy team in the Big 12 at one time or another. No one held it against them.

Temple beat Maryland, lost by 10 to BC on the road too. Theyre 1-1 against the P5 and played both tough. Yet that narrative has no clout.

Everyone needs to remain calm, we just dropped a fifty burger, with a very average, at best, performance by Milton. He has to find his timing and accuracy that has made him so successful. Without it, he's a tiny Blake Bortles. Can make plays happen, is inconsistent, but has enough talent at the skill positions to carry the offense.

Temple beat Maryland, lost by 10 to BC on the road too. Theyre 1-1 against the P5 and played both tough. Yet that narrative has no clout.
Plus UCF scored more points on Temple than Maryland or BC, or anyone else Temple has played this year. I'd have to check but I'm guessing UCF has probably scored the most points of the majority of their opponents scheduled teams. Still doesn't matter to the CFI.

Which pretty much makes Temple an average FBS team....maybe 50's, low 40's? And what should a top ten team do to an average FBS team. Dominate. What UCF did to Pitt, another average FBS team, they should have done to Temple. Should have done to Memphis. But they didnt. UCF is a team with a great great great offense, and a below average defense. Facts.

Reactions: Poolside Knight
That’s Ok. So is Oklahoma and a few other top teams I’m sure.

Yeah......you are probably right about that. Ill admit that I tend to be very critical of my teams for whatever reason. The thing is I think they are capable of being much better; the 2nd half defense has looked very good. Why arent we seeing that from the get go? On the positive side of things: at least they are making 2nd half adjustments, something we didnt see around here for years!

With our schedule being what it is, there was never going to be a realistic shot at a playoff spot. Just keep winning this season and enjoy the ride. Scheduling FAMU for next season was a poor decision. Even if we had to play 7 road games, a 3rd P5 school would have been better, or even a good MWC team if we could get them here and then away in 2020. Maybe DW realizes there is nothing we can do except win out and hope for a miracle. Although, if our defense doesn't get better, we won't win out. Navy is going to run for a crap ton of yards. Cincy and USF have to be licking their chops waiting for a shot at our D. If our Offense has an off night, we could get run out of the building. Thankfully, 2 of the last 3 are at home.

Plus UCF scored more points on Temple than Maryland or BC, or anyone else Temple has played this year. I'd have to check but I'm guessing UCF has probably scored the most points of the majority of their opponents scheduled teams. Still doesn't matter to the CFI.

I honestly expect them to "outscore" whoever they play. They are more than capable of winning 60-50, 50-40 type of games. Heck, when the team doesnt score on a drive I feel like the underachieved, and that is regardless of the opponent. I just wish they didnt HAVE to score so many points so often. Need more 35-17 type of games than 55-40.

BC and Maryland both gave up 35 to them.

I honestly expect them to "outscore" whoever they play. They are more than capable of winning 60-50, 50-40 type of games. Heck, when the team doesnt score on a drive I feel like the underachieved, and that is regardless of the opponent. I just wish they didnt HAVE to score so many points so often. Need more 35-17 type of games than 55-40.
Need to jump on top of these teams early so they can force one and start turning the ball over &
Have our offense demoralize them. Hard to survive living dangerously without slipping up

You mean like Ohio State dominating Purdue, or Oregon dominating Arizona, or Kentucky dominating a 1-3 SEC Mizzou team, or the result of 20 or 30 other games that have taken place this season where "dominant" teams didn't dominate. It's about wins, and winning hardware (at least playing for some). I'love take an unimpressive win over a loss any game.

How about Notre Dame beating Vandy 22-17, or them beating Pitt 19-14...that's not very "dominant" for the current #4 ranked team...but they get a pass because of the name on their jersey...and the committee doesn't seem to hold that against them.

Last edited:
Which pretty much makes Temple an average FBS team....maybe 50's, low 40's? And what should a top ten team do to an average FBS team. Dominate. What UCF did to Pitt, another average FBS team, they should have done to Temple. Should have done to Memphis. But they didnt. UCF is a team with a great great great offense, and a below average defense. Facts.

That’s Ok. So is Oklahoma and a few other top teams I’m sure.

Two teams ahead of UCF. Details doesnt look that impressive. Ignored though.
TOSU - 1 loss - 68th defense - failed against the aura of purdue's tyler story - lost to the 96th ranked defense team - theyre 10th
Oklahoma - 1 loss - gave up 48 to texas, struggled against army - 59th in defense - and theyre 7th

For sh1ts and giggles. Some top 10 defensive teams.

#8 from CUSA Southern Miss 3-4 overall record.
#5 from CUSA UAB 7-1 overall record. Lost to Coastal Carolina

Reactions: Mikesi
Yeah......you are probably right about that. Ill admit that I tend to be very critical of my teams for whatever reason. The thing is I think they are capable of being much better; the 2nd half defense has looked very good. Why arent we seeing that from the get go? On the positive side of things: at least they are making 2nd half adjustments, something we didnt see around here for years!

Randy Shannon's defense obviously has a way of keeping a fan base of a 21 game win streak on edge or humbled.

Reactions: Poolside Knight
ADVERTISEMENT