ADVERTISEMENT

UCF vs Alabama QB's in the NFL

scottb411

Four-Star Recruit
Gold Member
Sep 23, 2011
With UCF in a battle with Alabama for a QB recruit who wants to play in the NFL, I thought it would be interesting to see how the two schools compare:

From the article below:

https://www.thesportster.com/colleg...labama-crimson-tide-qb-who-played-in-the-nfl/

...it starts off with:

"The thing about Alabama is it has never been known for its quarterbacks."

Since 1999, UCF has had quite of bit of success at QB with two first round picks in Daunte Culpepper and Blake Bortles with Culpepper making three trips to the Pro Bowl and Bortles taking the Jaguars to the AFC championship game this year. Alabama has had A.J. McCarron and Brodie Croyle during that same time frame that have both served as backups in the NFL.

With UCF's Milton on track as a Heisman candidate this year at UCF, I think the choice is clear on which university is the better fit for developing QB's in college football.

Last edited:
With UCF in a battle with Alabama for a QB recruit who wants to play in the NFL, I thought it would be interesting to compare how the two schools compare:

From the article below:

https://www.thesportster.com/colleg...labama-crimson-tide-qb-who-played-in-the-nfl/

...it starts off with:

"The thing about Alabama is it has never been known for its quarterbacks."

Since 1999, UCF has had quite of bit of success at QB with two first round picks in Daunte Culpepper and Blake Bortles with Culpepper making three trips to the Pro Bowl and Bortles taking the Jaguars to the AFC championship game this year. Alabama has had A.J. McCarron and Brodie Croyle during that same time frame that have both served as backups in the NFL.

With UCF's Milton on track as a Heisman candidate this year at UCF, I think the choice is clear on which university is the better fit for developing QB's in college football.
Totally agree. I’m 100% confident that Brock Purdy’s path to a possible NFL career would be best through UCF and not Alabama.

Totally agree. I’m 100% confident that Brock Purdy’s path to a possible NFL career would be best through UCF and not Alabama.

The kid is obviously star struck with Bama, not so sure he is their top QB pick and when the music stops next week he doesn't get left without a chair there. I think Iowa State is the real competition.

Iowa State has put far less talent in the NFL than UCF recently. Interesting that he would consider going there. I suppose he could start right away. Who was the last successful NFL player to come out of there?

Reactions: Poolside Knight
Iowa State has put far less talent in the NFL than UCF recently. Interesting that he would consider going there. I suppose he could start right away. Who was the last successful NFL player to come out of there?

Iowa State has had two QB's in the NFL since 1999 that only started due to the 1st string QB being injured and were mostly backup QB's in their career:

Sage Rosenfels and Seneca Wallace

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Iowa_State_Cyclones_to_play_in_the_NFL

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sage_Rosenfels

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seneca_Wallace

You you can say this about a lot of schools since 99 when Daunte was drafted. UM, FSU, UF , OSU etc.

They have 7 current NFL to our 14. Only notable I saw was an OG Osemele.

Iowa State has had two QB's in the NFL since 1999 that only started due to the 1st string QB being injured and were mostly backup QB's in their career:

Sage Rosenfels and Seneca Wallace

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Iowa_State_Cyclones_to_play_in_the_NFL

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sage_Rosenfels

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seneca_Wallace
He seems to be one of those recruits that heavily weighs Power 5 affiliation. That's happened before with UCF trying to recruit someone but it's usually for ACC or SEC Programs. I don't get recruits going to places like Purdue and Iowa State. Killins for example knew better

It's clear by him delaying his decision to signing day that Alabama is slow playing him waiting on that other QB to reconsider. You would figure a little pride would set in and he would say screw them and go somewhere that would take him today.

Last edited:
He seems to be one of those recruits that heavily weighs Power 5 affiliation. That's happened before with UCF trying to recruits someone but it's usually for ACC or SEC Programs. I don't get recruits going to places like Purdue and Iowa State. Killins for example knew better

It's clear by him delaying his decision to signing day that Alabama is slow playing him waiting on that other QB to reconsider. You would figure a little pride would set in and he would say screw them and go somewhere that would take him today.

Didn't Alabama recently have some other QB commit to them? I know I'm looking at this with my Black & Gold glasses on but is Alabama looking for 2 QBs in this next class? There are two studs to go through (one has 3 years left and the other has 3 more years left). I would say that UCF and Iowa are both in the hunt. I think the selling point to this guy is that he will reliably be #3 or #4 next year but will be red shirted. He should have a great line to provide him protection and if he excels, should be #2 and should get play time when we pull Milton in Q4. Let him know that the coach wants him to develop as he is Heupel's first QB for the school. A lot could be riding on that.

Didn't Alabama recently have some other QB commit to them? I know I'm looking at this with my Black & Gold glasses on but is Alabama looking for 2 QBs in this next class? There are two studs to go through (one has 3 years left and the other has 3 more years left). I would say that UCF and Iowa are both in the hunt. I think the selling point to this guy is that he will reliably be #3 or #4 next year but will be red shirted. He should have a great line to provide him protection and if he excels, should be #2 and should get play time when we pull Milton in Q4. Let him know that the coach wants him to develop as he is Heupel's first QB for the school. A lot could be riding on that.
last time I checked no but I think Saban wants Brevin White over Purdy. If White would have committed on Sunday they probably would have pulled Purdy's scholarship and told him to walk on if he still wanted to come

I think if Alabama was currently in play he would have already committed. If Alabama was completely out of play he would have already committed also.

I don't care if he chooses one of the other 2. We won't miss him for 3 years from now anyway. By then we'll have a few guys that will be just as good if not better.

I think if Alabama was currently in play he would have already committed. If Alabama was completely out of play he would have already committed also.

Alabama told Purdy after his visit that the staff was going to select one of the 3 QB offers they had extended, the other 2 shit out of luck.......

And CJH is paying him an in house visit tonight to sway him and he will be the only HC meeting with him before he makes his decision.

Last edited:
One of the biggest complaints of many fans over the years has been that we need a QB coach.

We had that in coach K and recently in Frost and Heupel. All proven winners on multiple levels (ex-QBs) who worked very well with college QBs :) Whether it's your HC or an assistant, the QB coach on staff should be a BIG part of a recruit's decision. OC Taffe worked well with Bortles except for his mechanics.

QBs need all the support they can get. It goes beyond the program.

Reactions: Knightrodamus
Alabama told Purdy after his visit that the staff was going to select one of the 3 QB offers they had extended, the other 2 shit out of luck.......

And CJH is paying him an in house visit tonight to sway him and he will be the only HC meeting with him before he makes his decision.
I don't care how much Alabama has won that would piss me off and move on. I thought only USC could get away with that.

Goes back to the GOL adage, the last one smiling at you wins.

OC Taffe worked well with Bortles except for his mechanics.

I'll disagree with this from the standpoint that most of us don't remember what a project Blake was when he got here. Funny to say now, but Godfrey was WAY beyond Blake in every aspect of playing the position.

The coaching staff worked wonders coaching Blake up, yeah still has flaws to this very day but he got us where we had never gone before.

Reactions: UCFhonors
Don't tell Colin Cowherd any of this. His head would explode. AAC players in the NFL - no fecking way!

Reactions: Mikesi
I'll disagree with this from the standpoint that most of us don't remember what a project Blake was when he got here. Funny to say now, but Godfrey was WAY beyond Blake in every aspect of playing the position.

The coaching staff worked wonders coaching Blake up, yeah still has flaws to this very day but he got us where we had never gone before.
How was Godfrey way beyond Blake? Godfrey never got beyond watching his first receiver when he was in the pocket, then he'd run. Blake matched Godfrey's arm strength which anybody could witness watching them practice. Godfrey was faster than Blake but the opposing defenses started waiting for him to run outside because he was afraid to run in between tackles :)

My point was that Taffe spent a lot of time with Blake watching film and it paid off. Godfrey's pocket mechanics sucked as he stood 15 yards behind the line of scrimmage to see and was unable to slide in the pocket.

How was Godfrey way beyond Blake? Godfrey never got beyond watching his first receiver when he was in the pocket, then he'd run. Blake matched Godfrey's arm strength which anybody could witness watching them practice. Godfrey was faster than Blake but the opposing defenses started waiting for him to run outside because he was afraid to run in between tackles :)

My point was that Taffe spent a lot of time with Blake watching film and it paid off. Godfrey's pocket mechanics sucked as he stood 15 yards behind the line of scrimmage to see and was unable to slide in the pocket.

Mmmm......OK, who did they choose to redshirt because the other guy wouldn't been able to beat out Calabrese....and yes I cringed when I had to type that name. There's reasons why Jeff was highly recruited and they wanted Blake to play TE.

Anyone who went to practice knows this. And it was awesome to see Blake’s development. He worked his ass off too.

Mmmm......OK, who did they choose to redshirt because the other guy wouldn't been able to beat out Calabrese....and yes I cringed when I had to type that name. There's reasons why Jeff was highly recruited and they wanted Blake to play TE.

Many forget that Godfrey was an early Jan enrollee while Bortles enrolled over the summer so Jeff had a huge leg up on Blake that first season.

By season 2, staff installed game plans for Bortles to enter games in first half regardless of score.

UCF always recruited Bortles to be a QB. It was some other dummy programs that wanted Blake as a TE.

ADVERTISEMENT