ADVERTISEMENT

UCF vs Colorado Game Thread ⚔️⚔️🖤💛

Colorado’s DBs blanketed our receivers. Our WRs can’t get separation and KJ looks hesitant making decisions on where to throw the ball. KJ had time to throw and held the ball too long. We should have had several big plays since Colorado sold out on the run and made our running game look below average. It looked like he was going to throw that screen to our WR even if Hunter was playing press. Hunter could have had 2 more ints as KJ made bad reads all game. KJ made some good plays with his feet, but has to get better passing.

I don’t like read option offenses. A QB has to be a passer first. If he can run that’s only a bonus. Plus, if you lose your QB due to injury from running, your season is over. That’s why we don’t see RPO offenses in the NFL. You don’t risk losing passing QBs. They’re too valuable. Gus has to recruit better passing QBs

Kight had a bad game. In the passing game he gave up multiple pressures and got pushed back on practically every sweep and running play. That DE was in our backfield all game. Colorado shut down our running game and was more physical than us.

Colorado looked a lot faster than our defense. We looked slow….very slow. Sanders is the real deal. We put pressure on him but he made play after play with his feet. He kept getting away from what looked like multiple sacks. He’s an NFL talent and playmaker. Our run defense is better than last year but Colorado’s RBs made big plays. Too often, I saw them squeeze through some small holes which looked like no gainers for explosive plays. We have better players from last year, but it looks like so does everyone else in the Big 12. We’re way overrated in Vegas.

Reactions: eastbuff and Yaes
They definitely quit. I think maybe they beat Cincy, but they could go winless other than that the rest of the season.

I think we beat Cinci and pull off some random Oklahoma State win like last year. I’m sticking to my post in the TCU game thread. 5-7 season.

IF we beat the gators, I’ll eat crow and maybe look forward to the Gasparilla bowl 🙄

I'm an Old School CFB fan. Because of my screen name, I realize I'm always going to be crapped on here no matter how many years I've been cheering for the Knights. They've been my second-favorite team for a long time now. But as an outsider who became a fan, I have to say it: If you want a big time football program, you've got to ACT like big time football fans.

The Knights were 3-0 going into yesterday's game but halfway through the game, we already had people calling for Gus's head. I'm told this was perfectly fine behavior because of past transgressions. Ooookay. 🫤

College football is a game is played by 18-22 year olds. Do you think they are deaf to all the social media bitching by fans? Tell me, how exactly is this kind of fan chatter builds up the confidence the team needs going into the Florida game?

Listen, I'm no Polly Anna. I get pissed off with the best of him. Hell, the Mrs. leaves the TV room when I get on a roll. But you can get angry without burning down the house. A few individual yahoos can be found in every fan base who go on "fire everybody" rants after losses. But they tend to be drowned out by the legends of disappointed -- but reasonable -- fans. I would expect the same is true of this fanbase. One would hope this board is an anomaly because the reaction to yesterday's loss here is bush league embarrassing.

Last edited:
The team has gotten worse each year under Gus. He’s not building something. He’s not building anything. Almost every starter is a transfer and the allegedly good recruiting classes are meaningless if they don’t contribute. He’s run off good QBs and kept mediocre ones. He actually paid K.J. to come here and suck. He’s cycled through coordinators with no change in outcome. I’ve had enough.

I'm an Old School CFB fan. Because of my screen name, I realize I'm always going to be crapped on here no matter how many years I've been cheering for the Knights. They've been my second-favorite team for a long time now. But as an outsider who became a fan, I have to say it: If you want a big time football program, you've got to ACT like big time football fans.

The Knights were 3-0 going into yesterday's game but halfway through the game, we already had people calling for Gus's head. I'm told this was perfectly fine behavior because of past transgressions. Ooookay. 🫤

College football is a game is played by 18-22 year olds. Do you think they are deaf to all the social media bitching by fans? Tell me, how exactly is this kind of fan chatter building up the confidence the team needs going into the Florida game?

Listen, I'm no Polly Anna. I get pissed off with the best of him. Hell, the Mrs. leaves the TV room when I get on a roll. But you can get angry without burning down the house. A few individual yahoos can be found in every fan base who go on "fire everybody" rants after losses. But they tend to be drowned out by the legends of disappointed -- but reasonable -- fans. I would expect the same is true of this fanbase. One would hope this board is an anomaly because the reaction to yesterday's loss here is bush league embarrassing.
There is some truth to what you say and fans would be smart to listen to you about what you are pointing out. On the other hand, despite his excellence in recruting, after all this time, he and his decisions regarding QBs, his seeming lack of ability to develop one, his dated offense, and his hiring practices have created a frustration level among fans who have just had enough. They don't see any reason why UCF shouldn't be able to compete in the XII at the highest level except for Gus. Perhaps Frost's beating him so soundly in the Peach Bowl makes fans question him all the more. Let's face it he is certainly no longer an offensive genius and people are tired of hearing it. It's old and tired and predictable. On the other hand, I am sure you are right, the young players are not deaf to all the social media bitching by fans.

Started out the season predicting 8-9 wins. After playing two schlubs I downgraded us to 6-7 wins and am now down to 6-6. In year 3, really not liking what I see from Gus's teams. He's a positive guy. He is recruiting well but it just doesn't seem to translate to the field yet (understand we're only really in year 2 of recruiting with a P4 patch on our uniform). What I find most offsetting is that he doesn't identify his weaknesses and change. Even O'Leary eventually hired a guy to go run the offense (Taaffe 2009-2014), and offense went very well until that guy retired after 2014). He let go. I really think Gus needs to let go of calling games and live or die with somebody having that responsibility.

I can't talk to defense because I just can't put my finger on exactly what is lacking other than "they just don't look like they make a lot of plays, and our turnover margin is abysmal. Turnover margin is a major factor on your win/loss column." When we've had elite teams the turnover margin was very high. We've had 3 different DCs in 4 seasons (these rankings have everybody ranked by points/game given up).

In 2021 ranked#49; Turnover margin #43
In 2022 ranked #46; Turnover margin #102
In 2023 ranked #62; Turnover margin #102
In 2024 (so far) ranked #78; Turnover margin #77....really too early for the numbers to start to flatten out.

There is a noticeable trend throughout Malzahn's tenure at UCF and delves into Auburn. The team will win games people don't expect, but then get completely destroyed in games where they are heavily favored. It's gotta to be devastating to team morale not only losing games they are favored but getting blown out or falling apart in front of a home crowd.

In terms of Malzahn and his role. He specifically said in fall camp that the team failed previously because he gave too much control to coordinators and this team will be his team. He used those exact words in one of the last years in Auburn as well, before the wheels completely fell off.

College football is a game is played by 18-22 year olds. Do you think they are deaf to all the social media bitching by fans? Tell me, how exactly is this kind of fan chatter builds up the confidence the team needs going into the Florida game?

Gus has never been the coach for UCF and a few of us have said so. He crumbles when needed most. F Gus and his short ass bus. This is not a knee jerk reaction, he sucks at preparation. We can't even win AAC bowls anymore with this douche bag. Go away Gus, please! Look at his assistants that went on to be head coaches, they suck too! Norvell is a good example, great at mid tier but not capable of P4.

And when these "kids" started getting paid to play they opened themselves to accept the scrutiny and complaints. Their allegiance now is to the dollar and not the schools or fans so yeah, the door is wide open on telling them to pound sand.

But it all starts with that piece of shit at the top, Terry the tik toker.

Gus has never been the coach for UCF and a few of us have said so. He crumbles when needed most. F Gus and his short ass bus. This is not a knee jerk reaction, he sucks at preparation. We can't even win AAC bowls anymore with this douche bag. Go away Gus, please! Look at his assistants that went on to be head coaches, they suck too! Norvell is a good example, great at mid tier but not capable of P4.

And when these "kids" started getting paid to play they opened themselves to accept the scrutiny and complaints. Their allegiance now is to the dollar and not the schools or fans so yeah, the door is wide open on telling them to pound sand.

Great post!!

This. Getting him away from UCF will give the University a chance

Leading the country in rushing with no passing game in 2024 is like being the best butter churner. It’s anachronistic. It doesn’t matter.

• Haha
Reactions: UCFsbarro
This. Getting him away from UCF will give the University a chance
True…look, I have gotten to like UCF and its fans throughout the years. The sooner Malonze is gone the better. He’s a control freak, a paranoid old man that’s clueless about roster construction and doesn’t know how to evaluate talent.

Don’t get fooled by the recruiting b.s.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT