ADVERTISEMENT

UCFast is missing one thing...

KnightVision82

Diamond Knight
Jan 26, 2004
A men's track team.

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/spo...0190617-eyuex22wr5hybao3ez7v66ek5q-story.html

I hope this guy comes here. A 6'3" speedster as a WR who has burners but really wants to play football and track in college.

Dear Danny White,
Since we got a raise in our AAC TV contract money could we please get a men's track
team going?
Don't care if we have to start a women's billiard team to make it happen :)

Thank you!

A men's track team.

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/spo...0190617-eyuex22wr5hybao3ez7v66ek5q-story.html

I hope this guy comes here. A 6'3" speedster as a WR who has burners but really wants to play football and track in college.

Dear Danny White,
Since we got a raise in our AAC TV contract money could we please get a men's track
team going?
Don't care if we have to start a women's billiard team to make it happen :)

Thank you!

There are plenty of talented WR who want to focus on football. In the last decade we have never lacked for WR talent.

Those extra TV $$ need to go mostly into football & M Basketball, then baseball, then strategic, modest increases to other sports that already exist.

Expensive, unnecessary, and provides little or no returns. I personally love track (ran 100m mostly, also tried throws and jumps) but it would cost us heavily.

How many elite recruits/year do you guys think will come to UCF only if we have a track team?

How much money/year will a mens track team cost?

How much money/year will the added women's sports teams costs?

Reactions: Brc75
Men’s track used to be popular with football players but who was last great football player that was great at track?

YawningSimilarFinnishspitz.gif

???

Reactions: Stormthecourt?
Having a men’s track team may attract a few more speedsters to UCF, but more importantly
we can develop the players that we have to run even faster. You can never be too fast.

Honestly, I would venture to guess that AK is the same speed or slower than the day that he arrived at UCF. Can anyone dispute that?

Reactions: AAC6800
If UCF starts up a new Men's Varsity Sport Program like Track, to stay in compliance with Title IX, UCF would have to find/start up a new girls program.

That's why UCF will never do it as DW is putting the limited funds he has back into programs and current facilities.

AK may be slower, definitely can't dispute that. But speed isn't what limits him the most. More speed won't help him break through tacklers. AK, already having great speed, needs size and strength.

Our sports performance coaches are fully capable of training speed, power, and sprint mechanics as they are needed for the sport of football.

Further, the degree of specialization that goes into training for track is so great that it will take time, physical energy, and recovery away from improving a well rounded football player. Track is only linear (straight ahead). Running track all off season will completely neglect a RBs need to move laterally (side to side). WRs and other skill positions have the same needs.

Also, the nail in the coffin for track is that speed is genetic. There isn't much an athlete can do to increase their speed, and speed peaks at an early age (relative to muscular maturity and strength). This is well researched.

Now, they can definitely get slower by adding too much size (some of us speculated about a certain MLB) but football is a balance of speed and strength. Athletes need both.

Ultimately, our sports performance coaches are well educated and experienced enough to take care of our athletes speed.

And people in the sports performance field dont get paid much so we're already getting those benefits cheap.

God help us if someone becomes academically ineligible because they were boarderline in the fall and they participated in a spring sport and failed more classes. And some athletes are sure to get hurt in track. We could really be screwing ourselves.

Track would provide almost no chance of benefit over the current set up and there would most certainly be elevated risk.

There isn't much an athlete can do to increase their speed, and speed peaks at an early age (relative to muscular maturity and strength). This is well researched.
This is an absolute false statement. Most athletes arrive in college as 18 year olds and can DRAMATICALLY improve their speed throughout their college years with the proper training that goes on in any track program.

Why do you think that some improve their speed so much for the NFL combine after getting outside private trainers?

God help us if someone becomes academically ineligible because they were boarderline in the fall and they participated in a spring sport and failed more classes.
That’s a reach reason not to have a track team. Track athletes are often some that have the best grades.

And some athletes are sure to get hurt in track. We could really be screwing ourselves.
Not really true either. Most athletes that run track, when playing football get less less injuries for a variety of reasons. Additionally, track injuries are rarely serious and there are virtually no injuries involving contact or lateral movement

And during the spring, does the athlete skip track for spring practice? Or do they skip spring practice to run track?

Way too many drawbacks to adding a track team just for that one or two football players we might get every five years.

Reactions: Knight_Light
There are plenty of talented WR who want to focus on football. In the last decade we have never lacked for WR talent.

Those extra TV $$ need to go mostly into football & M Basketball, then baseball, then strategic, modest increases to other sports that already exist.

yeah, an extra 3 to 5 mil a year doesn't very far.

I think I’ll go with the recommendations of Frost and Killins...

Will those 2 pay for the 2 new additional sports that UCF Athletics would have to fund?

Why even break something down that will never happen?

College Football is now basically a 11 month sport...and to take away a player from 3-4 months of Spring Practice/Workouts/Weight & Conditioning Training, etc...is now not the way to excel on the football field.

I like to yell "UCFast!" when I have the old premature eeje. I then eat a oatmeal creme pie as fast as I can and run away before she sees me cry.

Reactions: ahabmw
If UCF starts up a new Men's Varsity Sport Program like Track, to stay in compliance with Title IX, UCF would have to find/start up a new girls program.

That's why UCF will never do it as DW is putting the limited funds he has back into programs and current facilities.

I agree the funding would be difficult and not worth it, however it doesn't mean we also have to necessarily start a new women's program. The requirement is equal funding, so we could come into compliance by increasing the funding of the women's programs we already have.

The problem those here seem to ignore is, coaches have a limited time to spend with players. They can't go over. SO, having a track team would let the football coaches coach football. A common remark heard about NFL rookies is the lack of time coaches had to instill refinements etc in a player. Having a track team is like getting a free coach and free player development time. Looking at it that way, we're like usf- behind the game playing catch-up to Houston, Memphis, Cincy, and Uconn (hahah only thrown in for laughs).

PS. to defeat the whole argument- 1 loss in 2 years.

Reactions: Stormthecourt?
This is an absolute false statement. Most athletes arrive in college as 18 year olds and can DRAMATICALLY improve their speed throughout their college years with the proper training that goes on in any track program.

Why do you think that some improve their speed so much for the NFL combine after getting outside private trainers?

It is correct. Pick up any undergrad exercise physiology book and you will find my statement is supported by the majority of research. You can really trust me on this.

Athletes who do improve speed during college or combine training do so for a few reasons. The training principle of specificity is probably the biggest reason. An athlete who has to train for a sport as dynamic as football doesn't have the time, energy, or physical resources to put into only improving their 40 time. Once they leave their college team, they work exclusively on getting better at a 40 yards distance. They are training for the test. That is specficity.

They can focus exclusively on the technical and mechanical aspects of running 40 yards as fast as possible, as well as the other handful of tasks. And like I said, technique and mechanics are already being trained by our football sports performance coaches.

Athletes who do not improve technique or mechanics at all may still improve speed by increasing their muscular strength. The increase in strength enables them to produce more power (combination of strength and speed) which may allow them to get further with each individual step.

If our sports performance coaches are competent, we won't get any additional benefit from competing in track.

That’s a reach reason not to have a track team. Track athletes are often some that have the best grades.

If you knew how many of our starters sit in the back of class, talking amongst each other, on their phones, and fail classes you might have a new perspective on increasing the demands of their schedules. It's sad and, as a fan, scary.

Not really true either. Most athletes that run track, when playing football get less less injuries for a variety of reasons. Additionally, track injuries are rarely serious and there are virtually no injuries involving contact or lateral movement

Please link or list evidence that track provides some kind of protective benefit. Track is a sport of maximal intensities. Participation in track by football players will most likely increase the number of injuries.

Please link or list evidence that track provides some kind of protective benefit. Track is a sport of maximal intensities. Participation in track by football players will most likely increase the number of injuries.
You have to first provide a link that “track will most likely increase the number of injuries” since that was your original argument. I never got injured when I played both as I was in much better physical condition and had much better endurance during games and practice

If you knew how many of our starters sit in the back of class, talking amongst each other, on their phones, and fail classes you might have a new perspective on increasing the demands of their schedules. It's sad and, as a fan, scary.
Not sure how running track makes you fail classes. If you’re irresponsible, you’re irresponsible.

I think we have as many players failing classes by partying, knocking up chicks, etc

I agree the funding would be difficult and not worth it, however it doesn't mean we also have to necessarily start a new women's program. The requirement is equal funding, so we could come into compliance by increasing the funding of the women's programs we already have.

Actually, the requirement is NOT equal funding.

Directly from the NCAA website, the main Title IX requirement is...

1. Provide participation opportunities for women and men that are substantially proportionate to their respective rates of enrollment of full-time undergraduate students;

2. Female and male student-athletes must receive athletics scholarship dollars proportional to their participation;

It is correct. Pick up any undergrad exercise physiology book and you will find my statement is supported by the majority of research. You can really trust me on this.

Athletes who do improve speed during college or combine training do so for a few reasons. The training principle of specificity is probably the biggest reason. An athlete who has to train for a sport as dynamic as football doesn't have the time, energy, or physical resources to put into only improving their 40 time. Once they leave their college team, they work exclusively on getting better at a 40 yards distance. They are training for the test. That is specficity.

They can focus exclusively on the technical and mechanical aspects of running 40 yards as fast as possible, as well as the other handful of tasks. And like I said, technique and mechanics are already being trained by our football sports performance coaches.

Athletes who do not improve technique or mechanics at all may still improve speed by increasing their muscular strength. The increase in strength enables them to produce more power (combination of strength and speed) which may allow them to get further with each individual step.

If our sports performance coaches are competent, we won't get any additional benefit from competing in track.
It’s quite simple. If running track didn’t make you a faster runner, then football players alone would be medaling or winning the NCAA and Olympic sprint and hurdling events. They are not. However, athletes who have participated in track alone or both sports are the fastest sprinters on the track and the football field

Why don’t you just ask AK what HE thinks?That’s the most reliable source for UCF fans

I ran track in college and I blew away my high school times.

Football coaches concentrate on many aspects of football. There is plenty of time for that for skill players, but they can’t teach speed like my track coaches did and by me participating in actual track meets.

Remember, we are UCFast. We aren’t talking about a track team for offensive lineman. We are talking about making 4.5 WRs, RBs and maybe DBs into 4.3-4.4 guys.

Last edited:
The problem those here seem to ignore is, coaches have a limited time to spend with players. They can't go over. SO, having a track team would let the football coaches coach football. A common remark heard about NFL rookies is the lack of time coaches had to instill refinements etc in a player. Having a track team is like getting a free coach and free player development time. Looking at it that way, we're like usf- behind the game playing catch-up to Houston, Memphis, Cincy, and Uconn (hahah only thrown in for laughs).

PS. to defeat the whole argument- 1 loss in 2 years.
I see, so Heup and the boys are also "track" coaches, wink, wink. They also volunteer with the boys and girls club of America, which the athletes are required to join. They are pastors at the local church our players attend. They legally adopt every player once they commit. They DNA test women for the most likely to birth elite athletes and then impregnate 25 of them a year so that in 18 years we begin harvesting the greatest recruiting classes the world has ever known. Yes! Yes! Brilliant!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT