ADVERTISEMENT

UNC & GT Out, SMU & Navy in?

A

anon_gi3vk9zbfmw0w

We are currently less than six weeks out (forty days) from UCF's first scheduled game of 2020, and reality is starting to kick-in for this fanatical season-ticket holder. I'm not interested in going back and forth behind a keyboard on a message board about numbers, deaths, percentages, risks, etc.

Personal agendas/biases aside, just read the room. Campus is going to be nearly unrecognizable in the fall: classes, social gatherings, tailgates, dorms - everything is going to be regulated/distanced to non-existent.

From a college football perspective, at worst, the season will be moved to the Spring with uncertainty still remaining (related to COVID numbers improving or getting worse, if fans would be allowed in the spring or not, how the NFL Draft would affect top prospects, etc.). At best at this point, I'm thinking UCF's chances of playing the 2020 season in the Fall would involve no fans in the seats and a heavy conference schedule.

I get it, I know that sucks. Trust me, as the interest piles up on the credit card I used to pay for season-tickets, I understand why playing without fans would upset a lot of people. But at this point, I'm resigned to the fact that playing without fans is better than nothing. It's not official, but I've given up hope regarding the UNC and Georgia Tech games. The ACC is (reportedly) going to play conference games, plus-one non-conference tilt. For the Tar Heels, that will be a match-up in Atlanta against Auburn. And for the Yellow Jackets, that will be their in-state game against Georgia. End of story...

At this point, I think the best thing that could happen to beef-up UCF's remaining nine-game schedule (remember, FAMU was canceled as well) would be for the AAC to institute a round-robin 10-game schedule for just the 2020 season. This would allow conference members to play the entire league.

I know they looked horrible in their bowl game against FAU, but SMU did win ten games last year (and were ranked for some time). They have a high-powered offense led by a very experienced quarterback. This last minute, UCF would be hard-pressed to find a team to play in '20 that would be much better. SMU is not UNC, but I think they're a better program at this point than Georgia Tech (minus the P5 label). Navy is not great, but having them on the schedule is more legitimate than playing FAMU. That's something...

@SMU/or vs SMU, @Navy/or vs. Navy, @ECU, vs. Tulsa, @Memphis, vs. Tulane, @Houston, vs. Cincinnati, vs. Temple, @USF - that could be the schedule.

It remains to be seen if the AAC would go with a +1 model (like the ACC and Big 12 are reported to be interested in). If so, UCF could just keep their home game vs FIU (probably most likely), or they could scrap it without penalty (if that's what the AAC decides to do, conference only plus-one) and look for another game (P5 team? Good luck...). Could it possibly be easier to find a P5 school willing to come to Orlando if there are no fans?

Just a thought...but I wouldn't bet against things heading this way soon.

I agree. Given what it looks like the ACC is doing... it's most likely we just keep our schedule +1 (FIU).

Times are uncertain so nobody wants to take a risk or do more than they have to. This would be easiest for us too.

The Marlins are a perfect example of how FB would go this fall.

Looks like another day of postponed games. Marlins/Orioles and Yankees/Phillies. Phillies is awaiting test results since they played the infected Marlins on Sunday. Multiple problems with this, Phillies would probably have to be tested the next few days before being cleared. The other problem, if Phillies test positive, that pretty much guarantees that football players will infect one another if they have it.

Marlins is up to 17 players who are positive now.

Last edited:
Reactions: Knight Strength
Crazy times. I need to take up a hobby for this fall. I watched a football game simulation recently and it was pretty enjoyable.

I'm going back to school and capitalizing on my first semester having a lot of free time with no football and not a whole lot going on in general.
There you go! I've been able to do most of what I need career wise plus doing virtual conferences and taking virtual workshops.

UNC and GT games are very flimsy right now, but technically haven’t been officially called off. I’m sure Danny White is working the phones as we speak.

ACC announced 10 conference games plus one OOC game. The OOC game has to be played in the school’s state.

It was assumed that GT/UGA would still be played according to those guidelines, but now there are reports that the SEC is likely to play only conference games. That move could save the UCF game in Atlanta against GT.

Even the UNC game isn’t dead yet. It was assumed UNC would choose Auburn (over UCF) for their OOC game, but that game was scheduled to be played in Atlanta (not eligible to be played under ACC guidelines). The neutral site game could have commenced in Charlotte, but now that looks unlikely per the SEC report. Would UCF entertain the idea of flipping their home & home with UNC, going to Chapel Hill this year, and having UNC play in Orlando down the road?

UNC and GT games are very flimsy right now, but technically haven’t been officially called off. I’m sure Danny White is working the phones as we speak.

ACC announced 10 conference games plus one OOC game. The OOC game has to be played in the school’s state.

It was assumed that GT/UGA would still be played according to those guidelines, but now there are reports that the SEC is likely to play only conference games. That move could save the UCF game in Atlanta against GT.

Even the UNC game isn’t dead yet. It was assumed UNC would choose Auburn (over UCF) for their OOC game, but that game was scheduled to be played in Atlanta (not eligible to be played under ACC guidelines). The neutral site game could have commenced in Charlotte, but now that looks unlikely per the SEC report. Would UCF entertain the idea of flipping their home & home with UNC, going to Chapel Hill this year, and having UNC play in Orlando down the road?
I’d be fine with it if they don’t flip the script and not come here in return.

I'm sure this series will never get played. Because we already have another series scheduled, it's easy to let it go and move on. It's not like one of us just decided to screw the other and they were left with an open week and lost a ton of money.

I don't understand these moves being made by the P5 conferences. I smell a rat.

So BC is stuck playing UMass because it's the only FBS option in the state. It's a two hour trip for one team. At the same time FSU could have FIU come up and play. That is a 7 hour drive. Washington DC is a 7 hour drive from Boston. That really opens up their options. A trip is a trip. You should either allow them or not.

We are currently less than six weeks out (forty days) from UCF's first scheduled game of 2020, and reality is starting to kick-in for this fanatical season-ticket holder. I'm not interested in going back and forth behind a keyboard on a message board about numbers, deaths, percentages, risks, etc.

Personal agendas/biases aside, just read the room. Campus is going to be nearly unrecognizable in the fall: classes, social gatherings, tailgates, dorms - everything is going to be regulated/distanced to non-existent.

From a college football perspective, at worst, the season will be moved to the Spring with uncertainty still remaining (related to COVID numbers improving or getting worse, if fans would be allowed in the spring or not, how the NFL Draft would affect top prospects, etc.). At best at this point, I'm thinking UCF's chances of playing the 2020 season in the Fall would involve no fans in the seats and a heavy conference schedule.

I get it, I know that sucks. Trust me, as the interest piles up on the credit card I used to pay for season-tickets, I understand why playing without fans would upset a lot of people. But at this point, I'm resigned to the fact that playing without fans is better than nothing. It's not official, but I've given up hope regarding the UNC and Georgia Tech games. The ACC is (reportedly) going to play conference games, plus-one non-conference tilt. For the Tar Heels, that will be a match-up in Atlanta against Auburn. And for the Yellow Jackets, that will be their in-state game against Georgia. End of story...

At this point, I think the best thing that could happen to beef-up UCF's remaining nine-game schedule (remember, FAMU was canceled as well) would be for the AAC to institute a round-robin 10-game schedule for just the 2020 season. This would allow conference members to play the entire league.

I know they looked horrible in their bowl game against FAU, but SMU did win ten games last year (and were ranked for some time). They have a high-powered offense led by a very experienced quarterback. This last minute, UCF would be hard-pressed to find a team to play in '20 that would be much better. SMU is not UNC, but I think they're a better program at this point than Georgia Tech (minus the P5 label). Navy is not great, but having them on the schedule is more legitimate than playing FAMU. That's something...

@SMU/or vs SMU, @Navy/or vs. Navy, @ECU, vs. Tulsa, @Memphis, vs. Tulane, @Houston, vs. Cincinnati, vs. Temple, @USF - that could be the schedule.

It remains to be seen if the AAC would go with a +1 model (like the ACC and Big 12 are reported to be interested in). If so, UCF could just keep their home game vs FIU (probably most likely), or they could scrap it without penalty (if that's what the AAC decides to do, conference only plus-one) and look for another game (P5 team? Good luck...). Could it possibly be easier to find a P5 school willing to come to Orlando if there are no fans?

Just a thought...but I wouldn't bet against things heading this way soon.

A few things of note here. The ACC made a requirement that all teams play conference games and their OOC must be played in that school's state. This means UNC playing in Atlanta vs Auburn is a non-starter. UNC coming to Orlando to play UCF is also a non-starter. There is also talk that the SEC may go the way of the Big Ten and Pac-12 and go conf-only, if that does indeed happen, than UCF at GT is still on the table as a possibility. But with that said, UCF + 1 against FIU still seems most likely at this time.

Reactions: Knight Strength
A few things of note here. The ACC made a requirement that all teams play conference games and their OOC must be played in that school's state. This means UNC playing in Atlanta vs Auburn is a non-starter. UNC coming to Orlando to play UCF is also a non-starter. There is also talk that the SEC may go the way of the Big Ten and Pac-12 and go conf-only, if that does indeed happen, than UCF at GT is still on the table as a possibility. But with that said, UCF + 1 against FIU still seems most likely at this time.
Yeah, I’m mean you’re responding to something I wrote a few days ago before all the news broke yesterday about the ACC and SEC.

I also addressed the updated info in this thread above as well...

ADVERTISEMENT