ADVERTISEMENT

Nm

Meanwhile the Texas primary that was supposed to have dismal turnout after their passage of election security measures actually had a higher turnout than the last midterms (2.9 million vs 2.6 million in 2018).

Meanwhile the Texas primary that was supposed to have dismal turnout after their passage of election security measures actually had a higher turnout than the last midterms (2.9 million vs 2.6 million in 2018).

About 30% of ballots in Texas were rejected this year in the most populous counties in the state, compared to that number usually being around 1%. I saw an interview with one lady whose ballot was rejected because her ID didnt match the ID she used when she registered. Except, she registered 40 years ago, so obviously she doesnt have the same ID.

The total # of votes might have been up, but only 2.9 million voting in a state of 29 million is still ridiculously low.

That's the problem with no verification of votes. A lot is possible forgery.

Possible forgery isnt proof of forgery. You could possibly be a serial killer, but if there is no evidence of it, then we shouldnt treat you like one right? Also, do you think people in nursing homes just shouldnt be able to vote?

Plus, the article also doesnt mention who these fraudulent votes were for, which in an article by a conservative publication, I find kind of interesting.

People commit fraud for way more complex scenarios than voting. Naive to think we don't need modern identification sources to count votes.

This had nothing to do with ID, it was literally saying it was fraudulent because health care workers assisted them with their ballots, not that they filled out ballots for the wrong people. It is a technicality. So what is your solution? Anyone who needs assistance just shouldnt be able to vote?

For this specific scenario there should be multiple witness to help along the witness signing a non coercion disclosure. Yeah I don't trust so random nurse to fill out the ballot for a resident.

Why dont we just do this. When someone registers to vote they leave a stool sample, then when we cast our ballots we all rub a little shit on it, and we can make sure the DNA matches? I mean, DNA would be better than ID right? I dont think some of you are going to be satisfied until we start going to these types of routes.

We have biometrics, mfa (if not voting in person), and ID verification. This happens to open accounts at banks because they don't want....wait for it..... fraud
Key words “to open an account”. Do you provide the same level of identification to utilize your bank account as you do to open it? Of course not, because that level of scrutiny is biased toward a failure to complete a legitimate transaction. Much like added identification requirements on casting a ballot is biased towards a failure for a legitimate ballot to count. It’s two differing opinions. Voting mechanisms (and bank transactions) for the most part err on the side of potentially allowing a fraudulent transaction rather than inadvertently denying legitimate transactions.

Possible forgery isnt proof of forgery. You could possibly be a serial killer, but if there is no evidence of it, then we shouldnt treat you like one right? Also, do you think people in nursing homes just shouldnt be able to vote?

Plus, the article also doesnt mention who these fraudulent votes were for, which in an article by a conservative publication, I find kind of interesting.
This is a faulty analogy . There are specific laws against murder . If there are no voter ID laws then proving forgery or not becomes difficult if not impossible right? By removing all security measures with voting then do you really have fraud when fraud occurs because after all there is no law or security measures in place to violate . It's only criminal if there is a law regulating the behavior right?

Since 1794 to 20218 we managed to run elections fairly well baring the issues after the civil war and the when black men obtained the right to vote . Today though any mention of voter ID , security measures the left decries racism. I just keep thinking why does the left assume every black person is too stupid to vote,obtain free IDs and participate in legal voting? It's the racism of low expectations placed on people of color and or poor people.

We need standards to protect and secure the ballot so when our side wins or loses we all have faith in the system . Right now all this unfettered, poorly monitored and controlled voting systems just infuses distrust into the system. The Republic can't stand if we collectively lose trust in the vote .

About 30% of ballots in Texas were rejected this year in the most populous counties in the state, compared to that number usually being around 1%. I saw an interview with one lady whose ballot was rejected because her ID didnt match the ID she used when she registered. Except, she registered 40 years ago, so obviously she doesnt have the same ID.

The total # of votes might have been up, but only 2.9 million voting in a state of 29 million is still ridiculously low.
It’s a midterm primary. The numbers are always small.

Reactions: Nautiknight
Not even close. You go to withdrawal money from a teller you will be asked your ID. If you want to go use online banking you're authenticating via credentials and IP address is confirmed. If IP address is not on a previously verified address you will be asked for multi factor authentication. You don't get to randomly grab money out of the bank without any verification.

The only reason not to verify accounts is to allow fraud. No other reason you would allow it.
I buy things every day with a credit card or debit card number or check with no verification of my identity beyond a signature or the card number. Because the system of money flow is to optimize the chances of a successful transaction at the expense of ensuring 100% fraud prevention. The purpose of holding elections is to elect popular candidates, not ensuring 100% fraud prevention. To that end, minimizing the chances of nullifying legitimate votes is the primary objective. As it should be. We aren’t developing aircraft which need a 99.9999999% success rate and are expensive advanced systems developed over years. You are talking about a voting apparatus mostly operated by volunteers with technologies funded by taxpayer dollars. And at the end of the day you could have the most advanced technology there is but it’s still going to be administered by the neighborhood grandparents and rely on their ability to see your photo ID and determine if it is truly you standing in front of them. We aren’t putting men on the moon here There is no inherent predisposition for one party to benefit from fraud over another either. And the scale of fraud that can currently occur unchecked has no impact on election outcomes.

Reactions: Cubs79
Dumbest take ever. The elections are down to a few states and any fraud can undermine our democracy. Dropboxes and no voter ID is just to allow fraud. Funny only one party wants to not verify votes. 🤔
It’s the accurate take. The system is designed to err on the side of counting every legitimate vote vs potentially nullifying legitimate votes by ensuring 100% fraudless elections. Just because you disagree with the system doesn’t make these facts incorrect.

It’s the accurate take. The system is designed to err on the side of counting every legitimate vote vs potentially nullifying legitimate votes by ensuring 100% fraudless elections. Just because you disagree with the system doesn’t make these facts incorrect.
So the integrity of our elections matters? Or it doesn’t? I can’t keep up.

The system is incompetent and thus counts every legitimate vote and a good number of illegitimate ones and most places couldn’t even tell the difference. Almost any state actor of significant means could easily compromise our elections as could a private individual who has $400 million to throw towards election offices. Or hell, you could just go the Soros route and flood State’s Attorneys races with money in urban jurisdictions so that your chosen candidates have 10 - 100x the exposure of any of their rivals. Since most of us feel the need to vote but only really pay attention to the Presidential race, it’s a highly effective strategy. Win the judiciaries and you can pretty much control the whole thing.

Why does anybody really care whether or not Bubba from Appalachia or Tyrone from Atlanta votes? It's not like it makes much of a difference in reality.

So the integrity of our elections matters? Or it doesn’t? I can’t keep up.

The system is incompetent and thus counts every legitimate vote and a good number of illegitimate ones and most places couldn’t even tell the difference. Almost any state actor of significant means could easily compromise our elections as could a private individual who has $400 million to throw towards election offices. Or hell, you could just go the Soros route and flood State’s Attorneys races with money in urban jurisdictions so that your chosen candidates have 10 - 100x the exposure of any of their rivals. Since most of us feel the need to vote but only really pay attention to the Presidential race, it’s a highly effective strategy. Win the judiciaries and you can pretty much control the whole thing.
You seem to be off on a tangent. If your idea of a high “integrity” election is one with a 100% accurate tally of votes, then congratulations, there has never been a presidential election with “integrity”. You are lost on this easy fraud that any “state actor” could commit to change the true will of the people. Sorry you ate it up, but Trump was lying to you.

You seem to be off on a tangent. If your idea of a high “integrity” election is one with a 100% accurate tally of votes, then congratulations, there has never been a presidential election with “integrity”. You are lost on this easy fraud that any “state actor” could commit to change the true will of the people. Sorry you ate it up, but Trump was lying to you.
I could care less what Trump thinks. I have a good deal of very relevant experience with cyber and system security. It’s not my primary job but I have enough that I lead and consult on mission critical DOD systems. I have far more expertise in this area than Trump or anyone one this board, save maybe BS. I can tell you that there are 8th graders that can compromise our voting systems. Not to mention that so many of them rely on volunteers with little or no vetting to implement the security measures.

No system is 100% secure. That’s an unreachable goal. But our systems are damn near wide open and a good deal of the public feels it. We need to solve both the security and the perception problems.

Bit my first question still remains: is integrity a big deal or not? Are we not allowed to question election results because it hurts the integrity but at the same time we can’t do anything to secure the elections so we don’t have questions because it hurts the integrity. You’ve taken quite the position there.

I buy things every day with a credit card or debit card number or check with no verification of my identity beyond a signature or the card number.
MC/Visa is not the same as deposit/withdrawl from a bank account, with one exception ...

Furthermore, I do not recommend people use debit cards for this reason ... because they do not have the same 'fraud protections' while the level of 'access' to your bank is too easy.

You basically just undermined your argument right there ... that people -- like yourself -- really no idea how bad 'convience' can be versus the risk of 'fraud.'

Same with accessing your bank or retirement accounts from your everyday account and browser ... don't do it. Use a dedicated account and browser for financial-specific access.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT