ADVERTISEMENT

Update: Only 200 Season Tickets left for 2019 Season

But you know, UCF is like, you know, a school. If they are here for four years to finish a degree, it's ok too. [roll]

UCF is not like most Universities....as most of UCF's undergrad population are AA transfers while for other Univ...they are incoming Freshmen.

For an academic calendar year, UCF generally enrolls approx 7,400 Freshmen and about 11,000 AA/Community College transfers.

NOTE: I wish UCF could expand their Freshmen enrollment to 9,500 plus per year with more 1000 & 2000 level courses and more on-campus housing...but Dr Hitt wanted to expand the 3000 & 4000 course level with Direct Connect AA Transfers instead.

One main hurdle UCF Athletics and UCF Alumni Donations as a whole run into is that most AA Transfer students never live on-campus and are less likely to join an Univ Club/Sorority/Frat/Organization as compared to the number of Freshmen that live on-campus and join organizations/clubs and attend campus events.

Reactions: Knight Strength
Best way create facilitate school spirit and connected alumni....end the direct connect program. Too many students of our students are here for just four semesters with no real connection to the school. Ideally we dramatically increase on campus housing as well.

I think you're dead wrong and a fool. My son who has 3.5 unweighted GPA and average test scores did not get accepted this fall for UCF. If not but for the direct connect program , he could not become a Knight. There are plenty of young people who want to go to UCF or college but because it's all about a damn test score and not about the kid, they don't make the cut. Frankly , my son is smarter than many of the student athletes who get in with bare minimum but because they play a sport, they get in and take general studies. What ever.

I have the Florida Prepaid Program and in a couple years my son will be a Knight after finishing up at Seminole State. He is, however, planing to be a Marching Knight this fall. He is enrolling as a non degree seeking student to march in the band. I can tell you he loves UCF and was crushed when he was told no. The direct connect program works. To me going to college is about learning and about a career path. Why would anyone want to reduce that in a person's life? Your logic to kill it so UCF gets better fans is selfish at best. Is UCF in the education business or are do they exists to generate entertainment revenue from football?

I was a season ticket holder from 1994 to 2010. Now that my son is headed that way, I picked up a couple tickets for this year.

I think you're dead wrong and a fool. My son who has 3.5 unweighted GPA and average test scores did not get accepted this fall for UCF. If not but for the direct connect program , he could not become a Knight. There are plenty of young people who want to go to UCF or college but because it's all about a damn test score and not about the kid, they don't make the cut. Frankly , my son is smarter than many of the student athletes who get in with bare minimum but because they play a sport, they get in and take general studies. What ever.

I have the Florida Prepaid Program and in a couple years my son will be a Knight after finishing up at Seminole State. He is, however, planing to be a Marching Knight this fall. He is enrolling as a non degree seeking student to march in the band. I can tell you he loves UCF and was crushed when he was told no. The direct connect program works. To me going to college is about learning and about a career path. Why would anyone want to reduce that in a person's life? Your logic to kill it so UCF gets better fans is selfish at best. Is UCF in the education business or are do they exists to generate entertainment revenue from football?

I was a season ticket holder from 1994 to 2010. Now that my son is headed that way, I picked up a couple tickets for this year.
I went back to school at 29 years old and had to do direct connect too. I finished at Valencia with a 4.0 and, because of my sports/military background, I became a dedicated UCF Knights fan. But I'm in the minority. I also have the experience of having taught 5 undergraduate courses at UCF. In my experience, students coming in from Valencia and Seminole sort of snuck in the back door. They are less invested in the university as a whole and have less team spirit. I am thankful for direct connect but I agree with those who say it dilutes school spirit (in it's current form). Glad you son will get in but there is reason to believe some small changes could really help with the quality of education, graduate potential, and school spirit.

Reactions: Knight_Light
This issue has nothing to do with path of arrival to UCF IMHO. Lack of “school spirit” and football attendance is not a unique thing to UCF among the current generation of students many of whom would prefer to sit in the AC in a circle and text each other with comments about their comments on social media. I have a lot of gator friends who constantly lament student spirit and attendance at football games because “it’s all foreigners and out of staters getting in now instead of legacies and locals”. Whatever.

And. Get off my lawn.

Uh, reduction of direct connect means more freshman admitted at somewhat lower standards than is current, but still significantly higher than the standards to enroll in community college. The total number of UCF students/graduates wouldn't change....how is that follish?

I think this was somewhat misinterpreted. I think most feel the DirectConnect is a great program for kids that want to go to their school of choice, but as a consequence, it does not nurture as much school spirit as being there the full 4 or 5 years. I compare this to the service academies and OCS. The cadets are at the academy for 4 long grueling yrs and OCS grads are in training for mere 16 weeks. OCS gives folks a chance to become military officers if they don't make the academy. Both come out officers, but the academy grads are definitely the more spirited of the bunch because they were naturally there longer and feel more attached to the program As KL being the most level-headed guy here, he explained the facts and challenges perfectly, as usual.

I think this was somewhat misinterpreted. I think most feel the DirectConnect is a great program for kids that want to go to their school of choice, but as a consequence, it does not nurture as much school spirit as being there the full 4 or 5 years. I compare this to the service academies and OCS. The cadets are at the academy for 4 long grueling yrs and OCS grads are in training for mere 16 weeks. OCS gives folks a chance to become military officers if they don't make the academy. Both come out officers, but the academy grads are definitely the more spirited of the bunch because they were naturally there longer and feel more attached to the program As KL being the most level-headed guy here, he explained the facts and challenges perfectly, as usual.
I pretty much disagree. You either have spirit or you don’t. Whether 2 or 4 years. If going To Valencia or any other State College changes that you wouldn’t have it anyway.

Reactions: Wings0fred
I pretty much disagree. You either have spirit or you don’t. Whether 2 or 4 years. If going To Valencia or any other State College changes that you wouldn’t have it anyway.
You don't understand because you've never been there. Come see me when you have some loops under your belt. 2016 vs 2001. Nuff said.

I graduated in 98 dicknose.
356x237.jpg

We haven’t had that spirit here since 1969. And still. Those voices are calling from far away.

Wake you up in the middle of the Knight.

Reactions: Stormthecourt?
Skidog, I suspect your analogy is correct when it comes to the service academies. However, this a side trail, my brother went to Ga Tech for his BS and MS in mechanical engineering which the Navy paid for. He was ROTC and went onto nuke power school and became a Naval officer and we third in command of the Vaun Steuben sub out of Kings Bay. I suppose his allegiance in football was to Ga Tech and not Annapolis . Though he did teach at the Naval Academy for a few years too. His wife and kids all went to Auburn ,he has his PhD from Auburn and you will never see him wear a Ga Tech shirt. It's all Auburn all the time.

When I started UCF in the fall of 86, then President Trevor Colburn said look to your left and look to your right during his orientation speech. He then said half of you will not graduate. My son has the same GPA I did graduating high school at 3.5 unweighted and a better SAT score than I had and he does not get into UCF. It's where he wants to be. He was wait listed and in the end his 5 letters of recommendation, being part of FRC robotics , marching in band, obtaining Life Scout, all those hours of community service didn't mean jack crap. It came down to a test score. My kid has epilepsy and I can tell you depikote the drug he was on in 9th and 10th grade impacted his memory and such. Prior to becoming epileptic at the age of 13, my son was a straight A kid.

While I agree that Seminole and Valencia may be a back door approach and maybe some look down on it, I can tell you life sometimes gives people a shitty deck of cards. My son got a shitty deck handed to him. In spite of that he has overcome a lot and loves UCF. He may be an outlier . I don't know. What I do know though he will make a good student. He works hard and is bright. He is off that damn drug.

I also know this. A good friend of mine who is an usf bull because they offered chemical engineering and UCF didn't, went to Polk Community College. He is now a vice president of Norboard , makers of OSB. My sister went to Tallahassee CC and then FSU in computer science,she is a big wig at Tripple A in Tampa. I know a lot of successful people who did the state college route and went big schools and do well. The back door thing doesn't mean crap to me. My sister is a die-hard Seminole fan and unfortunately my buddy is a Bulls fan. Going to community college or state college has not diluted their school spirit.

Reactions: OvilleNative
Skidog, I suspect your analogy is correct when it comes to the service academies. However, this a side trail, my brother went to Ga Tech for his BS and MS in mechanical engineering which the Navy paid for. He was ROTC and went onto nuke power school and became a Naval officer and we third in command of the Vaun Steuben sub out of Kings Bay. I suppose his allegiance in football was to Ga Tech and not Annapolis . Though he did teach at the Naval Academy for a few years too. His wife and kids all went to Auburn ,he has his PhD from Auburn and you will never see him wear a Ga Tech shirt. It's all Auburn all the time.

When I started UCF in the fall of 86, then President Trevor Colburn said look to your left and look to your right during his orientation speech. He then said half of you will not graduate. My son has the same GPA I did graduating high school at 3.5 unweighted and a better SAT score than I had and he does not get into UCF. It's where he wants to be. He was wait listed and in the end his 5 letters of recommendation, being part of FRC robotics , marching in band, obtaining Life Scout, all those hours of community service didn't mean jack crap. It came down to a test score. My kid has epilepsy and I can tell you depikote the drug he was on in 9th and 10th grade impacted his memory and such. Prior to becoming epileptic at the age of 13, my son was a straight A kid.

While I agree that Seminole and Valencia may be a back door approach and maybe some look down on it, I can tell you life sometimes gives people a shitty deck of cards. My son got a shitty deck handed to him. In spite of that he has overcome a lot and loves UCF. He may be an outlier . I don't know. What I do know though he will make a good student. He works hard and is bright. He is off that damn drug.

I also know this. A good friend of mine who is an usf bull because they offered chemical engineering and UCF didn't, went to Polk Community College. He is now a vice president of Norboard , makers of OSB. My sister went to Tallahassee CC and then FSU in computer science,she is a big wig at Tripple A in Tampa. I know a lot of successful people who did the state college route and went big schools and do well. The back door thing doesn't mean crap to me. My sister is a die-hard Seminole fan and unfortunately my buddy is a Bulls fan. Going to community college or state college has not diluted their school spirit.
Most people default to being fans of the most successful program that can claim. How long would the Auburn fan stay loyal if GT started winning championships? Your son is already a Knight and he will do well at UCF and after!

Most people default to being fans of the most successful program that can claim. How long would the Auburn fan stay loyal if GT started winning championships? Your son is already a Knight and he will do well at UCF and after!

These are "Wal-Mart fans", Auburn grads are not changing teams because Bama or GT is winning more.

Your kid sounds like a fighter. He may end up doing better than you because he had to find a different way. Rejection in life isn't always a bad thing, unless it's Alex Morgan rejecting me, that's the worst.

Reactions: Knight Strength
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT