ADVERTISEMENT

USF AD Mark Harlan leaving to take Utah AD job

JAFFX2

Golden Knight
Gold Member
Sep 18, 2016
http://www.orlandosentinel.com/spor...-sp-usf-ad-harlan-leaving-20180601-story.html

SF Director of Athletics Mark Harlan is leaving the school after four years to take the same job at Utah. It’s a return to the Pac-12 for Harlan, who before arriving in Tampa in 2014, served as a senior associate AD at UCLA. He’ll be stepping into some big shoes as he replaces longtime Utes AD Chris Hill, who recently announced his retirement after 31 years on the job. It was under Hill’s guidance that the school negotiated a spot into the then Pac-10 back in 2011.

:joy::joy::joy:

That is a horrible hire by Utah. I wonder if DW turned them down.

That is funny, but what is even funnier is that DW is considered as a top 4 candidate for the vacant Kansas opening!!!!

https://www.rockchalktalk.com/2018/...ty-of-kansas-top-athletic-director-candidates

By far my favorite candidate at this point, White has been the AD at UCF since 2015. Prior to that, he was the AD at Buffalo from 2012-15, and the Senior Associate AD at Ole Miss from 2009-12. Obviously we know about the turnaround of the UCF football program over the past couple of years, but he also orchestrated similar turnarounds with impressive coaching hires for UCF’s men’s and women’s basketball teams, as well as the baseball team.

"Danny White should be the target
But I’m guessing he’s holding out for a big-time football job."

"Nice wrinkle with hiring White. He could get us Frost in three years when Nebraska fires him for only averaging 9 wins a season."

Kansas......seriously WTF are they thinking??? More delusional than Nebraska fans!

Last edited:
Reactions: firm_bizzle
Does anyone know what Danny a White’s salary is now? Incentives? Where does he rank amongst ADs? He’s probably getting as much recognition as any AD right now and I’m sure his pay is top 15-25

A good AD is a bigger deal to a G5 school than the football coach. For a P5 school, not as much.

Last edited:
Does anyone know what Danny a White’s salary is now? Incentives? Where does he rank amongst ADs? He’s probably getting as much recognition as any AD right now and I’m sure his pay is top 15-25

A good AD is a bigger deal to a G5 school than the football coach. For a P5 school, not as much.

This is what was posted not too long ago......

UCF is making Danny White one of the highest-paid athletic directors in the country.

According to a source, university leaders have signed White to a new five-year rolling contract which will see his annual compensation increase from $630,000 to $1,030,000.

It's a $400,000 raise from a contract signed last November, but a lot has changed in the past six months with White's National Championship initiative generating priceless exposure for the university.

Outgoing school president John Hitt, incoming president Dale Whittaker and key donors convened in recent months to work on a package to pay White like a National Championship athletic director to ensure he'll remain in Orlando for years to come.

The new contract means White likely will enter top 20 territory in terms of AD compensation. Based on the latest available numbers for the 2016-17 academic year, an annual salary of $1,030,000 would have placed 16th overall.

UCF is making Danny White one of the highest-paid athletic directors in the country.

According to a source, university leaders have signed White to a new five-year rolling contract which will see his annual compensation increase from $630,000 to $1,030,000.

It's a $400,000 raise from a contract signed last November, but a lot has changed in the past six months with White's National Championship initiative generating priceless exposure for the university.

Outgoing school president John Hitt, incoming president Dale Whittaker and key donors convened in recent months to work on a package to pay White like a National Championship athletic director to ensure he'll remain in Orlando for years to come.

The new contract means White likely will enter top 20 territory in terms of AD compensation. Based on the latest available numbers for the 2016-17 academic year, an annual salary of $1,030,000 would have placed 16th overall.
There has got to be rumblings behind the scenes of us going P5 next expansion or at the very least P6. If we stay at status quo, I don’t see justification in paying him top 15 Money to be the 51st most likely team to be invited to Invitational. Maybe his Dad has some pull amongst other ADs and Presidents?

Thanks! Quality response!

IMO, he’s worth every penny of it at this time. Doubt a lot of donors to the Excellence fund and donors in general feel that he’s overpaid or their money isn’t going to good use if he’s seeing any of that fund money

I don’t see justification in paying him top 15 Money to be the 51st most likely team to be invited to Invitationa
I can’t agree with you here. He’s worth that much. There are a boatload of reasons why.

Where do you think we would be with the Keith Tribbles of the world? You get what you pay for in general and great ADs deserve top dollar.

I can’t agree with you here. He’s worth that much. There are a boatload of reasons why.

Where do you think we would be with the Keith Tribbles of the world? You get what you pay for in general and great ADs deserve top dollar.
If in 5 years we are still in AAC and it isn’t P6, we will still be in same boat as Boise. Begging for a seat at big boys table. Like I said he has to be having discussions with people in Power to justify the top 15 pay. Other than 1 good football year , which I think is more we have a great QB than anything else, what has he done that if we go back to a few losses a year in football that would mean he was worthy of the 60% pay increase? Baseball team still disappoints, basketball hasn’t reached potential, softball took a huge step back, no one really cares about tennis and they weren’t top 10 anyway etc. I’m glad he’s here and we are better than before but no G5 AD is worth 1 mil a year.

Danny White has been an amazing hire. He has hit home runs in his coaching hires since he arrived.

0D9Mv.gif

Danny White has been an amazing hire. He has hit home runs in his coaching hires since he arrived.

0D9Mv.gif
I like the hires and what is going on. But if we stay G5 give me specific examples why he deserves the same amount of money as AD of say Clemson gets. Baseball team is still not good enough, basketball hasn’t done anything that hasn’t been done before.

Reactions: Poolside Knight
gotta side with @BlakNGoldAllDay on this one. I don't think the fanbase would really care who the AD is if UCF was inside the Power 5. Can an AD screw up even with all the resources? Yes but if UCF was receiving the 30+ Million extra in T.V. money with a very desirable location for student athletes it is a really hard job to screw up.

UCF went undefeated but is still chasing bigger things & stability in the Conference landscape.

Reactions: BlakNGoldAllDay
gotta side with @BlakNGoldAllDay on this one. I don't think the fanbase would really care who the AD is if UCF was inside the Power 5. Can an AD screw up even with all the resources? Yes but if UCF was receiving the 30+ Million extra in T.V. money with a very desirable location for student athletes it is a really hard job to screw up.

UCF went undefeated but is still chasing bigger things & stability in the Conference landscape.

Without AD DW does UCF go undefeated? Does UCF go to the NIT final 4? Does UCF raise anywhere close to as much money as they have since he arrived? Three big fat NOs.

UCF Vice President and Director of Athletics Danny White is one of five finalists for the Sports Business Journal Athletics Director of the Year.

You are significantly underestimating his strategic vision to make UCF into a top 25 program.

Pay the man, he is worth it!!!!!

G5 only exists in men’s football. White is worth whatever someone will pay him. I’m sure he will make more when he moves on to another school and we are stuck with someone else. Enjoy the ride for now.

We don't know everything that is going on, but here are a few things to consider.

1. It give us stability, and not just for the sake of the athletic department It also provides an appearance of stability to outsiders, some of whom may be in positions that could decide UCF's future fate over the next five years.

2. The five year rolling contract takes DW through at least the summer of 2023 (as of now). Think about what is going to be taking place in the 2023-2024 timeframe. Many of the "Power" conferences have TV deals that will be renegotiated at that time. Big 12 contract expires in 2025. ACC contract expires in 2027. The college football playoff contract with ESPN also expires in 2025. That means the negotiations for a new contract and any changes will likely be taking place in the 2023 - 2024 timeframe.

3. DW has done better in fundraising than any other AD hands down except for Orsini who got the commitments to be able to finance the football stadium. Let's say DW raises an average of $1M/year more than his predecessors. Considering that the raise appears to be mostly coming from big donors, it's not hurting the university or the athletic department.

You’re worth as much as someone is willing to pay you.

The people who are cutting his checks know a lot more about the financial implications that having DW around has had and will have on UCF vs not having him around.

Hmmm, NIT final 4???
Ok but the goal is NCAA Tourney. That’s been done 4 times. Only schools that have been bad at basketball think final 4 of the teams ranked 50-80 is a big accomplishment. Is like us thinking winning The ST Pete Bowl is a huge accomplishment. At one time it would have been. Now that we’ve seen real success, that would be a disappointing year. Just like NIT should in a few years.

Yes, but we are not in the P5. I trust this man to bring us to new heights and to get us into a
P5 conference. Do you trust any other AD or another AD that we have had to do this?

All this marketing is looking at big dollar signs for a potential P5 suitor.

We have momentum going. Why would we risk losing that and taking a step backwards at the absolute most critical time?

Ok but the goal is NCAA Tourney. That’s been done 4 times. Only schools that have been bad at basketball think final 4 of the teams ranked 50-80 is a big accomplishment. Is like us thinking winning The ST Pete Bowl is a huge accomplishment. At one time it would have been. Now that we’ve seen real success, that would be a disappointing year. Just like NIT should in a few years.
Are you aware that UCF basketball has suffered MAJOR injuries and DW has only been our AD since 2016 and Dawkins less time than that?

To expect an NCAA birth or a sweet 16 in unrealistic under those circumstances, but I believe that we will achieve those goals.

Reactions: JAFFX2
Yes, but we are not in the P5. I trust this man to bring us to new heights and to get us into a
P5 conference. Do you trust any other AD or another AD that we have had to do this?

All this marketing is looking at big dollar signs for a potential P5 suitor.

We have momentum going. Why would we risk losing that and taking a step backwards at the absolute most critical time?
That’s what I’m saying. With this money he has to get us in. I’m thinking there has to be serious discussions on what he is able to do in order to justify this salary. Final 4 in NIT is not justification.

Are you aware that UCF basketball has suffered MAJOR injuries and DW has only been our AD since 2016 and Dawkins less time than that?

To expect an NCAA birth or a sweet 16 in unrealistic under those circumstances, but I believe that we will achieve those goals.
Basketball is different. All you need is 1 blue chip recruit and he can be a huge factor in game. We haven’t gotten that guy yet. Furthermore the injuries. How many basketball guys do you know that hurt shoulders and went out for year. We had 2 in 6 months. That sounds very odd.

To pay him less because we're not "power five" is like paying your employees less because your business isn't sucessful yet.

You'll never be successful if you don't recognize a good investment, or if you're too timid to invest low.

That’s what I’m saying. With this money he has to get us in. I’m thinking there has to be serious discussions on what he is able to do in order to justify this salary. Final 4 in NIT is not justification.
How many G5 teams with a new AD go from mediocre to dominant in basketball and football in 2-3 years?

We are basically as dominant as we can be in football and made an NIT final four in basketball. We were supposed to make the NCAA tournament this year, but didn’t due to injuries only

Reactions: JAFFX2
To pay him less because we're not "power five" is like paying your employees less because your business isn't sucessful yet.

You'll never be successful if you don't recognize a good investment, or if you're too timid to invest low.
You don’t think Facebook, Google and Apple employees get paid more now than say 10 years ago?

Danny White probably has multiple long conversations with his father every week about a well thought out plan to get us into the P5.

Who was doing this?

“UCF is on probation” Tribble, anyone?

“Grass is greener and more lakes in Oregon” Stansbury?

“I don’t worry about those things” George O’Leary?

How many G5 teams with a new AD go from mediocre to dominant in basketball and football in 2-3 years?

We are basically as dominant as we can be in football and made an NIT final four in basketball. We were supposed to make the NCAA tournament this year, but didn’t due to injuries only
I don’t know what to search to find that out. Typically it’s the coaches they hire. I would have to google successful coaches in year 1 and then search AD. I don’t want to spend time doing that.

I don’t know what to search to find that out. Typically it’s the coaches they hire. I would have to google successful coaches in year 1 and then search AD. I don’t want to spend time doing that.
You don’t have to. There hasn’t been any at our level (G5 football) in recent memory. Houston and Boise are probably the closest, but they (Houston) have been pretty good in basketball and football for awhile. I’m not sure what their AD situation has been.

Point is that since the end of 2016, Danny White has been pretty damn good turning around our football program AND our basketball program to a lesser degree

You don’t have to. There hasn’t been any at our level (G5 football) in recent memory. Houston and Boise are probably the closest, but they (Houston) have been pretty good in basketball and football for awhile. I’m not sure what their AD situation has been.

Point is that since the end of 2016, Danny White has been pretty damn good turning around our football program AND our basketball program to a lesser degree
How can we argue with Nebraska fans and tell them we were successful before Frost and then change argument to Danny White making us successful? Talking out both sides of mouth.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT