ADVERTISEMENT

usf and uf schedule a 2 for 1 series.

UCFhonors

Todd's Tiki Bar
Feb 20, 2010
Strong won't be there in 2022, look for Marco Rubio to he head coach. What do they get paid to go to UF? 750,000 for two games at UF. Is that worth it?

Reactions: Mikesi
Conflicted on this. USF agreeing to Louisville 2-1 is not good but UF is just realistic of the situation & In State home games are so much fun for fans. Imagine how fun it would have been to have UCF fans invade Gainesville or Tallahassee last fall?

I know UCF has an On Campus Stadium and bills to pay but there is some that are under the mindset of the Miami Hurricanes mantra of the past to play anybody anywhere to gain respect as a young program.

No 2 for 1s!!!!

Absolutely out of the question. We’re better than that and will be just fine. We have some decent P5 home and away games (1 and 1) and guess what?

They are almost all better teams than UF. Pittsburgh, GT, Stanford, etc.

If we keep doing 2 for 1s, mathematically we will have to eventually schedule multiple crap FCS teams at home.

Stand your ground Danny White! You want a 2 for 1, then it has to be Alabama and they can’t cancel the game at UCF

Our upcoming schedules are good enough to get us where we want to be.

CFP?? Doubtfull
Top 10 finish? Yes
P5 invite? Eventually

A 2 for 1 with the Gators doesn’t help us in anyway, except it’s fun for fans and helps recruiting to a degree

low IQ USF fans are spinning this that this makes their program look big league compared to UCF

low IQ USF fans are spinning this that this makes their program look big league compared to UCF
1) They all have low IQs. They aren’t cool. Just stupid and desperate.

2) They can be UFs sacrificial lamb and now have to schedule a bunch of pansies at home like the Stony Brook Seawolves and potentially get beat.

3) The Gators scheduled USF, because they aren’t afraid of them.

Wow.. Who to support in this game is perplexing! Although I have a degree from UF, I LOATHE the Gators since being exposed to their horrific trash fans both times UCF played there. I've been to countless away games with the Knights and have NEVER experienced the kind of trash that we experienced at UF. Plus, given my brother and sister are both FSU Alums and both are HUGE UCF supporters, it makes hating them so much easier. Of course, I REALLY LOATHE usf! There's no "home field" advantage for usf seeing that 90% of Buccaneers' Stadium will be Blue and Orange. But watching the bulls lose at "home" to UF will be quite entertaining. So I guess the Gators get my support here...lol

Not on the 1 for 1 wagon. This all comes down to strength of negotiating power and I don't think UCF has that kind of juice yet. That said I would love to play the Gators at the swamp. We would travel well to that game.

Not on the 1 for 1 wagon. This all comes down to strength of negotiating power and I don't think UCF has that kind of juice yet. That said I would love to play the Gators at the swamp. We would travel well to that game.

So USF has the juice and UCF doesn't?

I'm on board the 1 for 1 bandwagon. We need to walk the line of scheduling low-middle P5 programs while dominating our schedule. Beating these teams says we are at the P5 level. And we need to walk that line right into the next conference realignment. This is the only way to improve our status.

Scheduling UF, FSU, or Miami 3+ years in the future is unpredictable. Big odds we lose, and losing to those teams says we are not at the P5 level.

UCF fans who think we are equal to these programs are uninformed. The funding, facilities, and recruits these schools have dwarfs ours and gives them a powerful advantage.

It's true that we are the best G5 team, and that we are better than 75% of P5 teams. This is because of culture and location but these things won't get us to the CFP without a P5 budget.

I'm on board the 1 for 1 bandwagon. We need to walk the line of scheduling low-middle P5 programs while dominating our schedule. Beating these teams says we are at the P5 level. And we need to walk that line right into the next conference realignment. This is the only way to improve our status.

Scheduling UF, FSU, or Miami 3+ years in the future is unpredictable. Big odds we lose, and losing to those teams says we are not at the P5 level.

UCF fans who think we are equal to these programs are uninformed. The funding, facilities, and recruits these schools have dwarfs ours and gives them a powerful advantage.

It's true that we are the best G5 team, and that we are better than 75% of P5 teams. This is because of culture and location but these things won't get us to the CFP without a P5 budget.
yeah a lot of our fans are riding high and getting a little too arrogant. UF may be down now but that can change real fast.

Based on a quick scan, in the span of 21 years 2002-2023, UF has played or scheduled to play 3 road OOC games (aside from FSU). Two in Miami, last one being like 10 years ago, and now USF. Doesn't matter what school it is, odds of getting a 1-1 with UF is nearly impossible.

I hope the Bulls have an OCS by 2023 and they make UF play there. But I'm sure Foley said the game has to be played at The Ship so they can funnel 40K fans there.

Reactions: Mikesi
No USF signed a 2 for 1. We should be open to the same. I just think there are certain programs that are worth getting a 2 for one scheduled.

If they would be willing to come to UCF's campus I think DW would listen to 2 games at the Swamp and 1 at Spectrum, but I'm sure they are demanding 2 at the Swamp and 1 at a neutral site like they got against USF at Raymond James.

Risk:reward is bad. These types of series can hurt our image a lot more than they can help it. If UF loses, they keep all the money, facilities, and prestige AND loads of 4* and 5* recruits. If UCF loses we lose all our "momentum fans" and solidify our place as a G5 program. If UCF wins.. we get a small uptick in recruiting but still no chance at a top 25 recruiting class. Top 40 is very unlikely.

Like Poolside said a lot of our fans are really feeling us right now. I don't think they understand perception in CFB and how to manage our image for long-term success.

As a season ticket holder, I would like to have 6 or 7 home games and not have to play 2 games at home a year against FCS schools. If we play 2 for 1s or one and dones, that simply won’t happen.

For some reason I’m sure that there are some UCF fans who may think a win against UF actually means something. It would have meant absolutely nothing for the past 2 years. We did just fine last year without them. A GT win (home and away series) would have meant a little more than a UF win.

Last edited:
Risk:reward is bad. These types of series can hurt our image a lot more than they can help it. If UF loses, they keep all the money, facilities, and prestige AND loads of 4* and 5* recruits. If UCF loses we lose all our "momentum fans" and solidify our place as a G5 program. If UCF wins.. we get a small uptick in recruiting but still no chance at a top 25 recruiting class. Top 40 is very unlikely.

Like Poolside said a lot of our fans are really feeling us right now. I don't think they understand perception in CFB and how to manage our image for long-term success.
Agree 100%

Reactions: Knight Strength
All this talk is irrelevant pertaining to UCF anyway, because the Gators aren’t coming to Spectrum stadium even if it was a 2 for 1, 3 for 1, etc

They MAY agree to come to Camping World Stadium and all season ticket holders have to purchase tickets separately.

Our mantra is that we want to play with the big boys. It always has been. We are stuck in the AAC like it or not. Our fans are not going to be satisfied long term with home schedule filled with AAC teams and an occasional Pitt program. I don't think playing it safe proves anything. Doing that requires us to go undefeated to garner any respect. We are not going to go undefeated consistently. We probably never will go undefeated again. When you have their attention you need to go for it not sit back. We are going to lose a game and the world is going to say "see". I would rather that be a good game against UF or FSU or Alabama then a loss to Houston. We need to keep bringing these games to our stadium and the Gators would be a huge draw.

Hurt our image? Playing tough teams will hurt our image? UF is going to have the prestige and money etc. no matter what. Guess what, we are going to lose a game. Sooner or later it will happen. Then our "momentum fans" are going to drift away. Also eventually our "momentum fans" are going to get board with a slate of G5 teams and low level P6s. The only way to stay relevant will be to play big teams and win. Otherwise we will be right back where we were.

All this talk is irrelevant pertaining to UCF anyway, because the Gators aren’t coming to Spectrum stadium even if it was a 2 for 1, 3 for 1, etc

They MAY agree to come to Camping World Stadium and all season ticket holders have to purchase tickets separately.
I agree with this. The idea of UF playing at Spectrum where they would be limited to selling 5k tickets as opposed to RJS or Camping World stadium where they can bring 30,000 fans is unlikely. It makes the game less of an away game.

If Alabama wants to do a 2 for 1, I’ll take it. Maybe even Camping World Stadium.

If UF wants to do a 2 for 1, maybe we’ll take it if they come to Spectrum. They won’t, so it’s irrelevant.

Coming to Camping world once and us playing there twice would be so unfair. Danny White would NEVER go for that. It’s probably been discussed already

UF is more of a Pittsburgh and not an Alabama

Minus the winless season, Brighthouse/Spectrum is a pretty tough place for away teams to come in and win. Makes scheduling more difficult, but it's a good problem that we've got a stadium that creates a home field advantage for our team. We just need to cash in on the opportunities we do have in front of us against the likes of Pitt, UNC and Stanford.

The only way to stay relevant will be to play big teams and win. Otherwise we will be right back where we were.
I agree with this, but are we talking about the 2006 Gators or the 2017 Gators? At least we know a team like Alabama is likely to be excellent. I rather us kiss their asses than a crappy Gator team.

But I'm sure Foley said the game has to be played at The Ship so they can funnel 40K fans there.

Foley is no longer our AD. Scott Stricklin is. But that does not change your point. Just a point of information.

neither strategy is necessarily wrong. USF plays in a stadium way too big for their fanbase and through their scheduling is basically conceding 'Power 6' isn't a thing. Danny White is fighting to elevate UCF and the League with his 1-1 stance but the problem with that if every member but UCF doesn't follow that then then the wishful thinking of elevating the AAC is basically dead.

cliffs: Danny White & UCF need to realize no one else is supporting the league we are in & to make sure UCF is at the Top of the Realignment list if it ever happens.

Disagree wholeheartedly with your "odds are we lose to UF, FSU or Miami" statement.... even if one assumed your argument to be true, which I do not, how do you explain the Baylor and Auburn victories by UCF, as well as the New Year's day victories over top notch P5 teams by other G5 teams over the last several years. The best of the G5 teams, including UCF, are totally competitive with the upper tier P5 teams, indicating that there truly is a P6.

Maybe you missed it but, of our graduating seniors and departing juniors who started last season, 90% were just drafted or invited to an NFL camp. Further, much of the talent that did not graduate this last year, is NFL level, i.e. Snelson, Killins, Burgess-Becker, Trysten Hill, Sam Jackson, Jordan Johnson, Aaron Robinson, and yes despite his size, Milton will at least get a shot at earning an NFL roster spot. We are not dwarfed by any team in the country in regard to the ability to win head to head contests. Case in point, the only 2017 loss by the CFP designated champion Alabama, was to an Auburn team that we led by 2 touchdowns with 5 minutes left in the 4th QTR. That is totally competing with the best.

Yes some programs have lots more money, larger alumni bases and more impressive facilities. But money alone, nor even buildings and alumni do not score touchdowns, sacks or turnovers. If so, there would be no reason to play the games. UCF can successfully go toe to toe with any program in the country.

Hurt our image? Playing tough teams will hurt our image? UF is going to have the prestige and money etc. no matter what. Guess what, we are going to lose a game. Sooner or later it will happen. Then our "momentum fans" are going to drift away. Also eventually our "momentum fans" are going to get board with a slate of G5 teams and low level P6s. The only way to stay relevant will be to play big teams and win. Otherwise we will be right back where we were.
Fans prefer any win to any loss. I agree that we need to beat better teams but we are not prepared to do that in every OOC game we play. I love our team and our guys but our roster is (on average) not as genetically gifted as a blue blood program. We are weaker, slower, shorter, thinner, and have slower reaction times than the rosters at blue bloods. Look how thrilled we are that we got Tre Nixon lol. Every receiver at UF is Nixon caliber.

Remember we do have Stanford and Louisville coming up and thats great for us but we have to add difficulty over a period of years that matches our improved recruiting. And coaching changes are going to be a major setback every few years.

The way for us to stay relevant is to be in a NY6 game in back to back years. And several times in a short period of time before the next conference realignment.

UF is more of a Pittsburgh and not an Alabama

If UF is truly more like Pitt, than UCF will never be part of the big boys or be a consistent program. UF has everything UCF has, plus much more resources, an established fan base, a path to the national championship, and a built in national level rivalry. If people have that low of a perception of UF on a national scale now, if and when UCF falters they will be relegated back to ECU, Cincy, Marshall status.

Reactions: Poolside Knight
Disagree wholeheartedly with your "odds are we lose to UF, FSU or Miami" statement.... even if one assumed your argument to be true, which I do not, how do you explain the Baylor and Auburn victories by UCF, as well as the New Year's day victories over top notch P5 teams by other G5 teams over the last several years. The best of the G5 teams, including UCF, are totally competitive with the upper tier P5 teams, indicating that there truly is a P6.

Maybe you missed it but, of our graduating seniors and departing juniors who started last season, 90% were just drafted or invited to an NFL camp. Further, much of the talent that did not graduate this last year, is NFL level, i.e. Snelson, Killins, Burgess-Becker, Trysten Hill, Sam Jackson, Jordan Johnson, Aaron Robinson, and yes despite his size, Milton will at least get a shot at earning an NFL roster spot. We are not dwarfed by any team in the country in regard to the ability to win head to head contests. Case in point, the only 2017 loss by the CFP designated champion Alabama, was to an Auburn team that we led by 2 touchdowns with 5 minutes left in the 4th QTR. That is totally competing with the best.

Yes some programs have lots more money, larger alumni bases and more impressive facilities. But money alone, nor even buildings and alumni do not score touchdowns, sacks or turnovers. If so, there would be no reason to play the games. UCF can successfully go toe to toe with any program in the country.
I love you for seeing it that way man and I hope youre right about our upcoming draft classes but I don't think it's going to go that way.

No USF signed a 2 for 1. We should be open to the same. I just think there are certain programs that are worth getting a 2 for one scheduled.
I agree. In playing the P5 teams, the real goal isn't only the money, it's the exposure and opportunity to compete against a higher level opponent. I am aware of the downside of the 2 for 1, but the good side is that it creates 3 such opportunities for exposure instead of just 2.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT