ADVERTISEMENT

USWNT loses money. A lot of money.

UCFKnight85

GOL's Inner Circle
Gold Member
May 6, 2003
Less than half the revenue of MNT and running a $28M loss over 10 years. From US SOccer Federation:

From 2009 through 2019 — a timeframe that includes two Women’s World Cup championships — the Women’s National Team has earned gross revenue of $101.3 million over 238 games, for an average of $425,446 per game, and the Men’s National Team has earned gross revenue of $185.7 million over 191 games, for an average of $972,147 per game. More specifically, WNT games have generated a net profit (ticket revenues minus event expenses) in only two years (2016 and 2017). Across the entire 11-year period, WNT games generated a net loss of $27.5 million.

Reactions: UCFWayne
Less than half the revenue of MNT and running a $28M loss over 10 years. From US SOccer Federation:

From 2009 through 2019 — a timeframe that includes two Women’s World Cup championships — the Women’s National Team has earned gross revenue of $101.3 million over 238 games, for an average of $425,446 per game, and the Men’s National Team has earned gross revenue of $185.7 million over 191 games, for an average of $972,147 per game. More specifically, WNT games have generated a net profit (ticket revenues minus event expenses) in only two years (2016 and 2017). Across the entire 11-year period, WNT games generated a net loss of $27.5 million.
The IRS would consider that a hobby and not a business.

do you have a link to this? i need to share it on facebook to trigger some people

do you have a link to this? i need to share it on facebook to trigger some people

Just google it, there's like 200 stories on this. They also stated that the USWNT are actually getting paid more than the men already, but it's not always obvious since their CBA's are different and US Soccer pumps tons of money into the women's league salaries that the men don't receive.

Long story short, the economics behind women's soccer are largely why they aren't paid the same as men and it has nothing to do with meanie men refusing to pay women what they deserve.

https://www.ussoccer.com/governance...pen-letter-july-29-2019-finding-common-ground

US Soccer president's Open letter

Over the past decade, U.S. Soccer has paid our Women’s National Team more than our Men’s National Team. From 2010 through 2018, U.S. Soccer paid our women $34.1 million in salaries and game bonuses and we paid our men $26.4 million—not counting the significant additional value of various benefits that our women’s players receive but which our men do not.

https://www.ussoccer.com/governance...pen-letter-july-29-2019-finding-common-ground

US Soccer president's Open letter

Over the past decade, U.S. Soccer has paid our Women’s National Team more than our Men’s National Team. From 2010 through 2018, U.S. Soccer paid our women $34.1 million in salaries and game bonuses and we paid our men $26.4 million—not counting the significant additional value of various benefits that our women’s players receive but which our men do not.

The USWNT Rep has obviously claimed these are "misleading" but they need to put up some numbers of their own if that's what they're saying here. One side has just dished a ton of facts and figures and it totally refutes this narrative we've heard for 3 months now

US Soccer just threw down the gauntlets on USWNT. i cant wait to show this to my big liberal soccer friend these facts. she's going to be so triggered! LOL

Reactions: UCFKnightfan08
Yikes, on top of the pay the women get health benefits. This is similar to when teachers claim they dont get good pay but they have better benefits than anyone. I hope rapinoe gets called out on this

There is so much detail missing, but the agendas are all the same. I've kinda given up.

Basically, when it comes to government and private industry, women are already paid what they are worth, or even a bit more.
But when it comes to Hollywood, TV and advertisers, they are still stuck believing women's sports don't generate enough revenue, despite ratings and interest.

So the latter drags down women, and they don't get the revenue, so they end up having a loss, even though they shouldn't.
So it can be argued both ways ... when one does not look at the details.

In looking at the details, it's the same as always ...
  • Government and private industry is non-sexist, and fair-paying
  • Hollywood, TV and Advertising is extremely sexist, and not fair-paying at all, actually horrendously so by a huge margin (several times over, possibly pushing a magnitude)
The latter is the problem. Always has been. Always will be.

Yikes, on top of the pay the women get health benefits. This is similar to when teachers claim they dont get good pay but they have better benefits than anyone. I hope rapinoe gets called out on this

I’m a teacher, my benefits suck. If I want good coverage I’d be paying out the ass. I take the free plan and use my wife’s coverage which is MUCH better (kids are on her plan too, cheaper per month and way better coverage).

I’m a teacher, my benefits suck. If I want good coverage I’d be paying out the ass. I take the free plan and use my wife’s coverage which is MUCH better (kids are on her plan too, cheaper per month and way better coverage).
I don't remember my wife's heathcare benefits sucking in Florida's public schools. Her healthcare benefits were better than all but the largest S&P500 corporations.

USWNT ends mediation with US Soccer, will pursue jury trial for equal pay

looks like they couldnt come to an agreement. itll be very interesting to see what happens.

This is where their false narrative PR campaign is supposed to pay for them. Pump the message and hope they get jurors who have heard it enough to believe it. It sounds like they had their lawyer go in there and vow to slander everyone more if they didn't cave, US Soccer didn't cave, so USWNT bailed on the mediation process they had already agreed upon to wage another public false campaign.

“We have said numerous times that our goal is to find a resolution, and during mediation we had hoped we would be able to address the issues in a respectful manner and reach an agreement,” U.S. Soccer said in a statement. “Unfortunately, instead of allowing mediation to proceed in a considerate manner, plaintiffs’ counsel took an aggressive and ultimately unproductive approach that follows months of presenting misleading information to the public in an effort to perpetuate confusion.

ADVERTISEMENT