ADVERTISEMENT

Volleyball plays in tourney next week and teams are complaining

There's so much garbage on cable sports channels why wouldn't you show just about any live sports. It's not like live competition ranks below repeats of showing old NCAA football games or knuckleheads babbling on-and-on about their opinions all day (like anybody cares).

If you're a sports network you should show as much live sports as possible, even if it is sports that fit into "The Ocho" category (not calling volleyball an Ocho sport. I pay sand volleyball twice a week and it is my sport of choice at this point in my life). I watched a dodgeball tournament for hours and hours one day (I think it was like the first World Championship or something along those lines). It's not that the matches were overly-compelling but because the professional sport is in its' infancy the stories surrounding all the different countries represented, and how they trained/prepared was entertaining. Countries used rules that differed from the rules used during this competition, so teams were learning how to adjust. Some teams were super-serious and got their countries military/Special Forces to come and train them (or design a training regimen). With other countries it was more like a bunch of people hanging out, drinking beers and treating it like it was just a high level rec sport.

Does volleyball really require play-by-play. It's kind of like golf, tennis, or even baseball. It's pretty self-explanatory. The announcers are really there to just fill in time between live action.

Makes sense to cram the practice areas in 1 place, that way if 1 has covid they could spread it around to as many as possible.

I must have read that wrong, but then again, most covid rules around sports made little sense when studied.

There's so much garbage on cable sports channels why wouldn't you show just about any live sports. It's not like live competition ranks below repeats of showing old NCAA football games or knuckleheads babbling on-and-on about their opinions all day (like anybody cares).

If you're a sports network you should show as much live sports as possible, even if it is sports that fit into "The Ocho" category (not calling volleyball an Ocho sport. I pay sand volleyball twice a week and it is my sport of choice at this point in my life). I watched a dodgeball tournament for hours and hours one day (I think it was like the first World Championship or something along those lines). It's not that the matches were overly-compelling but because the professional sport is in its' infancy the stories surrounding all the different countries represented, and how they trained/prepared was entertaining. Countries used rules that differed from the rules used during this competition, so teams were learning how to adjust. Some teams were super-serious and got their countries military/Special Forces to come and train them (or design a training regimen). With other countries it was more like a bunch of people hanging out, drinking beers and treating it like it was just a high level rec sport.

Does volleyball really require play-by-play. It's kind of like golf, tennis, or even baseball. It's pretty self-explanatory. The announcers are really there to just fill in time between live action.
I like commentary. They sometimes have stories you didn’t know. Or a ruling you aren’t sure why the ref called something. If no announcers they may not show score either. Sucks to watch volleyball and not know score. They play to 25 each set so that’s hard to keep up with. I’m thinking with the courts side by side they may not have room to put announcers. Or they are just being cheap. Not sure.

I like commentary. They sometimes have stories you didn’t know. Or a ruling you aren’t sure why the ref called something. If no announcers they may not show score either. Sucks to watch volleyball and not know score. They play to 25 each set so that’s hard to keep up with. I’m thinking with the courts side by side they may not have room to put announcers. Or they are just being cheap. Not sure.
I've watched UCF tennis on TV where the announcers go back and forth between matches.

Reactions: BlakNGoldAllDay
Don’t get me wrong. I love good commentary for certain sports. I’m just saying there are sports where it plays a bigger role, due to how the game/sport is played. Those sports, at the professional level, usually have commentators that are complete junkies or are ex-players.

Then there is also poor commentating, which most can attest to even for NCAA FBS football. There are plenty of non-P5 games where the announcers are horrible, they know little about the team or conference they are commentating for, and it seems like they are just there to collect a paycheck.

Volleyball, much like tennis, doesn’t require much commentary during matches, because the pacing is pretty fast and if you have more than 2 brain cells you can pretty much figure out what teams are trying to do.

NASCAR requires good commentating because (when not crashing) there isn’t much going on for the viewer. I mean, if I see a car slowing down and it has smoke billowing out of the hood or an obvious flat tire, the commentating doesn’t add much.

Football is a complicated team sport where a lot can happen on each play, and there is sometimes a good bit of time between plays (if there is a break or time out) so good commentating is required to explain what happened and why.

Soccer and hockey commentating has always seemed amiss. Commentators just seem like excited fans and add little while play is ongoing. They almost never explain why something is happening, and they very rarely try to explain to the audience what strategy is being employed and why.

I don’t know....to each their own I guess.

Don’t get me wrong. I love good commentary for certain sports. I’m just saying there are sports where it plays a bigger role, due to how the game/sport is played. Those sports, at the professional level, usually have commentators that are complete junkies or are ex-players.

Then there is also poor commentating, which most can attest to even for NCAA FBS football. There are plenty of non-P5 games where the announcers are horrible, they know little about the team or conference they are commentating for, and it seems like they are just there to collect a paycheck.

Volleyball, much like tennis, doesn’t require much commentary during matches, because the pacing is pretty fast and if you have more than 2 brain cells you can pretty much figure out what teams are trying to do.

NASCAR requires good commentating because (when not crashing) there isn’t much going on for the viewer. I mean, if I see a car slowing down and it has smoke billowing out of the hood or an obvious flat tire, the commentating doesn’t add much.

Football is a complicated team sport where a lot can happen on each play, and there is sometimes a good bit of time between plays (if there is a break or time out) so good commentating is required to explain what happened and why.

Soccer and hockey commentating has always seemed amiss. Commentators just seem like excited fans and add little while play is ongoing. They almost never explain why something is happening, and they very rarely try to explain to the audience what strategy is being employed and why.

I don’t know....to each their own I guess.
I’m kind of the opposite. I don’t need commentary on football or baseball. I’ve watched enough to just watch and not need their opinion added. I’ve watched the ESPN feed with no announcers and camera is field level. Just someone talking does add something. Even if they mention someone got hurt or whatever that wasn’t shown on camera.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT