ADVERTISEMENT

Walmart wants to redevelop parking lots

Anyone mind providing details to those of us without a biz journal subscription.
i dont have a subscription but was still able to see it. think maybe you get a few articles for free then they ask you to pay. but you can see the idea in the second link i posted.

i dont have a subscription but was still able to see it. think maybe you get a few articles for free then they ask you to pay. but you can see the idea in the second link i posted.
Use Firefox, load a couple of add-ons blocking Javascript and other redirections. Solves the problem.

They should build apartment/condos instead, like Target. Should be interesting.

I guess they figure between Online shopping and at the store pick up they won't need as much parking. I like the idea, our Walmart Has a decent sized area that is rarely used, It could be interesting.

Target has built condos?
I don’t know if they built them but the ones at SODO are part of Target’s property along with restaurants and a gym. It’s a great idea because your customers are already there.

Lucky’s Market is doing something similar further down Orange Ave.

My comment was a little tough in cheek as I don’t think Wal-Mart wants their customers living so close.

This does make sense though since WalMart Realty is one of the largest commercial real estate owners in the country.

I don’t know if they built them but the ones at SODO are part of Target’s property along with restaurants and a gym. It’s a great idea because your customers are already there.

Lucky’s Market is doing something similar further down Orange Ave.

My comment was a little tough in cheek as I don’t think Wal-Mart wants their customers living so close.
Most of those types of urban infill locations are leased to the retailers. In fact, most (but certainly not all) housing developers loathe the idea of incorporating retail into their buildings. In many cases the retail component is driven by the municipality and is more-or-less a quid pro quo with the housing developer. In my experience, most senior lenders and equity investors give little to no credit to the housing developer for the retail portion of the development meaning that the developer is often on the hook for 100% of that build-out, lease-up, etc.

Reactions: firm_bizzle
Most of those types of urban infill locations are leased to the retailers. In fact, most (but certainly not all) housing developers loathe the idea of incorporating retail into their buildings. In many cases the retail component is driven by the municipality and is more-or-less a quid pro quo with the housing developer. In my experience, most senior lenders and equity investors give little to no credit to the housing developer for the retail portion of the development meaning that the developer is often on the hook for 100% of that build-out, lease-up, etc.

Have you seen the Ibis Walk apartments off MLK/9th in north St Pete? Right behind them there is Ibis Walk Plaza that has been 50-60% empty for 3 years now with only Tijuana Flats and an Indian restaurant anchoring it. It's because the city or some ordinance required them to develop that space into a joint live/shop/dine area.

Apparently the owner is charging insane rent for the shop space so no one is moving in or opting for the next door plaza w/ Publix. And I guess he doesn't care since the apartment income is subsidizing the retail space.

Have you seen the Ibis Walk apartments off MLK/9th in north St Pete? Right behind them there is Ibis Walk Plaza that has been 50-60% empty for 3 years now with only Tijuana Flats and an Indian restaurant anchoring it. It's because the city or some ordinance required them to develop that space into a joint live/shop/dine area.

Apparently the owner is charging insane rent for the shop space so no one is moving in or opting for the next door plaza w/ Publix. And I guess he doesn't care since the apartment income is subsidizing the retail space.
I'm not familiar with that specific development, but his strategy may be like one of my student housing developer clients. Sometimes they've been required to have commercial space in their apartment developments and in some of those cases they know that there's no business case for retail. So, what they do is "play the game" for a year or two - asking market or market-plus rates on the retail - and then, once the retail space remains vacant, they go back to the city to plead their case to revert the retail into apartments. They always design it as such - making it so that the retail space can be easily converted into living space. The case to the city is that having something is better than nothing - nobody wants vacancy.

I'm not sure about the Ibis Walk thing though - that developer may have responded to a specific RFP or something in which the live/shop/dine was a requirement. You may be right though about the economics. Like I said, he likely received little to no credit for the retail rents in the value calculations/loan sizing; but, as long as the multifamily is 100% leased then he's hopefully at lease breaking even after debt service and equity distribution (depending on how his equity is structured of course).

So Walmart goes out of it's way to destroy small downtowns in America in the 1980's and 1990's...so they cap this off by....creating their own miniature downtowns??

They honestly could have bought the downtown (and mall) property that has been vacant for decades and redevelop it in their image. Finish the job they started.

So Walmart goes out of it's way to destroy small downtowns in America in the 1980's and 1990's...so they cap this off by....creating their own miniature downtowns??

They honestly could have bought the downtown (and mall) property that has been vacant for decades and redevelop it in their image. Finish the job they started.

Walmart simply did what Amazon would have done either way 20 years later. I get the angst about small businesses being trampled under WalMart but it was inevitable as supply chains become more interconnected and technology made it easier for WalMarts (and Amazons) to exist.

Meanwhile, smart cities have adapted and made their downtowns over in ways that attract people. During the rise of WalMart and Amazon, St Pete has transformed it's downtown from a sleepy nothing to one of the best places to visit on the west coast of FL. It did so by attracting great restaurants, bars, boutiques, art galleries, museums, etc etc etc

I've seen this happen a lot. The retail below the apartments stays empty because the rent is so high. Look at the empty retainer under this new apartments in downtown Orlando.

I've seen this happen a lot. The retail below the apartments stays empty because the rent is so high. Look at the empty retainer under this new apartments in downtown Orlando.

My barber is in the complex next door and said the Ibis place wants nearly 2x what he's paying now.

The owners don't care and as Ewe said, may be angling to eventually get permissions to repurpose that space as more apartments.

Well, that will be a nice place to get stabbed by a man smoking meth through a crunched up Dr. Thunder can whilst wearing a onesie with a Detroit Lions bra.

Reactions: UCFWayne

Actually the original developer, Casto, of that space wanted retail there. Their timing was not good and that area is a no mans land. Can’t think Publix is long term there as well.

Actually the original developer, Casto, of that space wanted retail there. Their timing was not good and that area is a no mans land. Can’t think Publix is long term there as well.

Huh? That Publix and the shops adjacent do really well there. My Carillon Publix said that the Gateway Publix is one of the top stores in the area. There are tons and tons of people who work in that immediate area and go there for errands, lunches, happy hour, etc. The Mexican joint sucks but it's always full.

ADVERTISEMENT