ADVERTISEMENT

Watched some of the Military Bowl

AuburnLegacy_1

Silver Knight
Feb 4, 2022
Main impression...

UCF was down 23-7 when I began watching. I was disappointed Gus didn't take the points when he had a field goal opportunity in the third quarter. He elected to go for it on 4th and 2, and the Knights came up just short. To me that was the biggest play in the game. (I missed the John Rhys Plumlee fumble earlier). When Bowser scored to cut the lead to 23-13, UCF had to go for 2 to try to cut it to a one score game. The score should have 23-17 at that point.

I cannot explain why Gus broke his tendencies. Perhaps he didn't have faith in his new defensive coordinator or in JRP or maybe it was something else. Regardless, that decision significantly hurt UCF's chances to win in regulation.

Those who say UCF "was never in the game" clearly don't know football. It should have been a one score game early in the fourth quarter.

Other impressions...

UCF needs to be better coached and players held to higher standards of accountability when they don't do what they are coached to do.

For example, I think Gus opted not to target Javon Baker as much as he should have because Baker drew the No. 1 corner in Ryan O'Keefe's absence. I think Baker responded by not giving optimal effort in the fourth quarter. Team players cannot be spoiled brats. Sometimes you are the decoy.

Also, I noticed batted balls at the LOS. The DL were doing twists and stunts and getting free to get their hands up in JRP's throwing lanes. That is a coaching issue that falls squarely on the Oline. The offensive linemen must be quick enough to switch and to punch the DL in the stomach to prevent them from getting their hands up.

Contrary to opinion, I thought Gus called some decent plays in the second half. Not all of them worked. Just because a play doesn't work doesn't mean it was a bad call. I think UCF missed Chip Lindsay.

Last edited:
Main impression...

UCF was down 23-7 when I began watching. I was disappointed Gus didn't take the points when he had a field goal opportunity in the third quarter. He elected to go for it on 4th and 2, and the Knights came up just short. To me that was the biggest play in the game. (I missed the John Rhys Plumlee fumble earlier). When Bowser scored to cut the lead to 23-13, UCF had to go for 2 to try to cut it to a one score game. The score should have 23-17 at that point.

I cannot explain why Gus broke his tendencies. Perhaps he didn't have faith in his new defensive coordinator or in JRP or maybe it was something else. Regardless, that decision significantly hurt UCF's chances to win in regulation.

Those who say UCF "was never in the game" clearly don't know football. It should have been a one score game early in the fourth quarter.

Other impressions...

UCF needs to be better coached and players held to higher standards of accountability when they don't do what they are coached to do.

For example, I think Gus opted not to target Javon Baker as much as he should have because Baker drew the No. 1 corner in Ryan O'Keefe's absence. I think Baker responded by not giving optimal effort in the fourth quarter. Team players cannot be spoiled brats. Sometimes you are the decoy.

Also, I noticed batted balls at the LOS. The DL were doing twists and stunts and getting free to get their hands up in JRP's throwing lanes. That is a coaching issue that falls squarely on the Oline. The offensive linemen must be quick enough to switch and to punch the DL in the stomach to prevent them from getting their hands up.

Contrary to opinion, I thought Gus called some decent plays in the second half. Not all of them worked. Just because a play doesn't work doesn't mean it was a bad call. I think UCF missed Chip Lindsay.
Some good points made here. Especially leaving 3 points off the board by not kicking FG.
I was dismayed by a lot of the decision making by both JRP and CGM.

ADVERTISEMENT