ADVERTISEMENT

Watched the K-State-Mizzou game

AuburnLegacy_1

Silver Knight
Feb 4, 2022
Kansas State *may* win the Big 12, but it won't win it Saturday. The Wildcats have issues along the offensive line. They can't determine whether their best lineup is putting all-American guard Cooper Beebe at right tackle or left guard. The issue is right tackle Christian Duffie has been sidelined with a leg and ankle injury: (https://www.kansas.com/sports/college/big-12/kansas-state/article278039533.html), and his absence has been derailing K-State's offense.

Kansas State has the best offensive line in the conference--and it isn't close. Their Oline is so much better than UCF's it's unreal. On the first possession, I watched one play in the red zone where the ball was on the left hash, and OC Collin Kien called a tunnel screen and had his left guard arc release to block the safety and the center arc release to block the corner. H*ll, I have never even heard of anything like that before, much less seen it excuted. (It is always the playside tackle who arc releases because he is closest to the corner--never an interior lineman and much less two).

The problem is K-State has to play musical chairs with its oline to get what it wants. Having to constantly move a guard (#50) from the left side when it wants to run to the right and returning him to the left side when it wants to run to the left is telegraphing the run game. Sure they give token runs to the backside of #50, but fool no one.

If Duffie returns Saturday, it is game over. K-State will mual UCF's front, and those sorry backs of theirs will rush for 200+ yards. But if K-State tries to block Josh Celiscar or Malachi Lawrence with backup Carver Willis (#77) at right tackle ... Shhhhhhheetttttt. Get your popcorn. K-State will run out of quarterbacks.

I wasn't impressed with Will Howard. He tries to do too much, plays poorly under pressure, and was not the same player when injured. He, like Q, struggles with pressure on his face. He has thrown five interceptions in his last four games, with at least one in each game. Prior to Howard being ruled out, I would have said whichever team wins the A gap (pressure up the gut) wins the game.

Daniel Green (#22) being out is a big blow to K-State on defense. He was all over the place against Missouri and served as the spy on Brady Cook.

Mitch McCarthy, along with Colton Boomer, will have very important roles Saturday. K-State has one of the best returners in the nation in Phillip Brooks. He ranks 6th all-time in the Big12 in punt returns for touchdowns. He can flip the field in a heartbeat on kickoffs and punt returns. McCarthy will have to angle punt and Boomer will have to kick touchbacks to keep that kid from being a factor. Missouri did a good job of negating Brooks.

Boomer will also be important in the field kicking game because Kansas State ranks as one of the top 15 defenses on third down, especially in second halves. The Tigers held Troy to 0-for-7 and Missouri to 2-for-10 in the second halves IIRC. The Wildcats are tough to score on in the red zone.

Missouri made a lot of explosive plays in the passing game against K-State. Missouri picked on CB Jacob Parrish (#10) every chance it got. The whole secondary was out of position often. (It was said during the broadcast that Missouri had been holding back formations and deep route concepts for K-State.)

EDIT: One item of note I left off: Missouri's offensive coordinator is Kirby Moore, younger brother of Kellen Moore. The elder brother is widely considered one of the top five offensive coordinators in the NFL.

K-State plays a physical brand of defense (#2 S Kobe Savage is appropriately named and DE Kalil Duke #29 is the best pass rusher), but the Wildcats had uncharacteristic alignment issues on defense. On one play, it lined up without a defensive end.

I thought Missouri's front--the strength of its defense (like UCF)--did a good job of getting after the quarterback. I also liked how Missouri put its best cover corner (Kris Abrams-Draine) on Jaden Jackson, virtually taking him out of the game. Missouri made K-State try to beat it with Treshaun Ward, who is apparently ruled out Saturday, and H-back/Tight end Ben Sinnott (#34), who is incredible.

For fun, watch #34 and then watch Alec Holler and compare the two.

Last edited:
Pick: Kansas State and the -5.

"Some good news and some bad news on the K-State football depth chart…The good news is that RT Christian Duffie is back on the two-deep and expected play Saturday. Carvis Willis, who has started the first 3 games of the season is still listed as the starter.

This comes as the Wildcats have struggled at times offensively because the O-Line hasn’t been as crisp as expected. Missouri successfully kept Chris Klieman’s team off balance up front in last Saturday’s showdown in Columbia."

yes, right tackle christian duffie is expected to play 25-30 snaps according to coach klieman at his tuesday pre-ucf presser. it will be his first play this year and allow cooper beebe, k-state's best, to move back to left guard.

captain duece green will be replaced by freshman austin romaine at middle linebacker. green is lost for the season.

yes, right tackle christian duffie is expected to play 25-30 snaps according to coach klieman at his tuesday pre-ucf presser. it will be his first play this year and allow cooper beebe, k-state's best, to move back to left guard.

captain duece green will be replaced by freshman austin romaine at middle linebacker. green is lost for the season.

Y'all gonna march methodically up and down the field with the offensive line y'all are about to put on the field. I don't care who is in the backfield. They are going to be running through gapping holes.

Y'all are better position-by-position (save right tackle when #77 is in) along the offensive line than anything at UCF. However, a rusty Christian Duffie, playing 20-30 snaps a game, gives y'all a chance to repeat as Big 12 champs. I was hoping Klien would mess around and hold Duffie out.

Last edited:
Y'all gonna march methodically up and down the field with the offensive line y'all are about to put on the field. I don't care who is in the backfield. They are going to be running through gapping holes.

Y'all are better position-by-position (save right tackle when #77 is in) along the offensive line than anything at UCF. However, a rusty Christian Duffie, playing 20-30 snaps a game, gives y'all a chance to repeat as Big 12 champs. I was hoping Klien would mess around and hold Duffie out.
with a freshman quarterback, i'm not so sure about that. it will be interesting to see if klein calls his typical open offense or if he goes all conservative behind that line, idk.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT