ADVERTISEMENT

Water Cooler thread to debate the military and puff chests at each other and leave the sports forum

atsKnight

Five-Star Recruit
Apr 9, 2011
Does anyone need to discuss how tough they are and share random thoughts on the military and the amount of respect that should be shown?

Here's the place to waste your time!

Reactions: Knight Strength
Its funny that those who served in the military comes across as unhinged if someone says a bad thing about them. Shouldn't they just ignore the trolls?

Its funny that those who served in the military comes across as unhinged if someone says a bad thing about them. Shouldn't they just ignore the trolls?
Is that what this is about? It seemed like a random post from someone I've never seen post in the water cooler before.

My apologies, Water Cooler Denizens. There was a thread about how to treat Navy on the Open Forum that went off the rails. After we realized that there were no mods anywhere to be found, I made this thread to kill that one once and for all.

But I had something come up, so I didn't get a chance to explain after I made the thread.

Does anyone need to discuss how tough they are and share random thoughts on the military and the amount of respect that should be shown?

Here's the place to waste your time!

That post was made from someone who got butt hurt because the Navy trolled UCF. Who knows they probably were incited by ESPN to do something, or not. But it wasn't anything that extreme. Then you have people make snide comments about the military and you're damm right people are going to be sensitive to it. Especially anyone who has served in the armed forces. Thing is people have died so people can express their opinions. So remember that when some fan starts trolling UCF again.

Reactions: UCFWayne and UCFBS
How soldiers were treated when they came home from Vietnam is why we respect soldiers today for serving, and don't blame them for what politicians make them do.

If soldiers, let alone officers, started questioning the politics, the US would just be another Republic with a history of military dictatorships. There's a huge difference between being ordered to engage combatants and various nations out of an interpretation, and actually being told to harm civilians or other things that very much do require soldiers, and especially officers, to question and refuse.

I really, really hate it when civilians think it's about 'agreeing' with policies and orders and whatnot. It's the exact opposite! The whole idea of refusing to follow an order has to do with the order, not the politics. It's when it's not up for interpretation, and non-combatants and others will be harmed or otherwise killed, especially if purposely, to an end that is just ... wrong. That's not simply disagreeing with politics.

I grew up in Gen-X, so I learned this from Baby Boomers who served in Vietnam, like my father (USMC, '68-70, including Khe Sahn, and 3 purple hearts, among other awards).

Too many people today everyone acts like the late '60s and '70s didn't happen, but they did. And they are utterly ignorant of the fact that the military wasn't all-volunteer back then, and it was illegal to dodge the draft. A lot of Vietnam Veterans faced a lot of issues ... from lack of jobs to actual assault. It wasn't made up. It really happened to many. One of the reasons my father took a state job when he returned was because the private sector didn't look at veterans well at the time, even if they didn't blame them for the war.

There were no laws (nothing like today) protecting veterans from discrimination at the time (a few from post-WWII were still in place, but not enforced well), and employers didn't want to deal with realities like -- what would later be called -- PTSD, among others.

A society willing to fight a war -- whether they agree with the decision or not -- should be more than willing to take care of its veterans when they return -- even if, and especially so, they didn't agree with the decision to go to war. Especially the people who did not serve, and relied on others to serve, which is what the whole concept of 'sacrifice' is all about.**

Discarding them is the exact opposite thing anyone should do, let alone blaming them for the circumstances that occurred. Especially when soldiers represent us, overseas, we want the best to represent us. That's why I hate it when people say 'only the stupid join.' No, I want the best to join for that very reason. And there are so many, especially college graduates, as well as bright, educated enlisted personnel, who want to become officers for this reason.

**One of the best, Star Trek takes on this was "The Hunted" (1990)

Last edited:
My apologies, Water Cooler Denizens. There was a thread about how to treat Navy on the Open Forum that went off the rails. After we realized that there were no mods anywhere to be found, I made this thread to kill that one once and for all.

But I had something come up, so I didn't get a chance to explain after I made the thread.

I just read it. That Stetson dude is wack.

Reactions: UCFWayne
It's not about 'them' personally. It's about having each other's back. Again ... Vietnam Veterans really faced this ... hard, and often alone, coming home.

Reactions: NolesofWrath

And it's funny when someone comes unhinged when some fan from another school comes onto their board and starts trolling their team. Same difference?

Rich, snotty, private college kids usually are (wack). Again, re-insert the Vietnam War.

It's more than a little ironic that one of those rich, snotty, entitled, draft-dodging private college kids became our President. It just goes to show that if you can 'talk a good game,' what you actually do to help our soldiers and working middle class doesn't really matter.

You said the military should ignore the trolls. But when you have some person from another school start trolling UCF or any other school/team you see the responses back and forth which are trash. So my question is shouldn't the same be done, ignore the trolls? Whats the difference?

You said the military should ignore the trolls. But when you have some person from another school start trolling UCF or any other school/team you see the responses back and forth which are trash. So my question is shouldn't the same be done, ignore the trolls? Whats the difference?
Typical trash from the left. Mindless, clueless, uninformed dregs that understand zero & operate solely on emotion. Liberals hate this country and hate the people who died to make it great. If you vote Democrat you are a traitor to our nation and an enemy domestic service members take oaths to protect us from. Obviously, Basement-dwelling Leftwing Antifa LGBTQ Anarchists, acting on Comrade Nancy "The Babushka" Pelosi's, call to protest and deface, anything that is Pro-American, stands for America, or is connected to this Constitutional American Republic.

I suggest the Joe Biden method. Get a .12 gauge shotgun loaded with #8 birdshot...or be kind, make it rock-salt and burn their butt's up.

There are alot of us in America and we are about to rise up! Getting very impatient with the way libtard sjw's running around in such an incredibly lawless fashion treating everyone like total s**t.

Typical trash from the left. Mindless, clueless, uninformed dregs that understand zero & operate solely on emotion. Liberals hate this country and hate the people who died to make it great. If you vote Democrat you are a traitor to our nation and an enemy domestic service members take oaths to protect us from. Obviously, Basement-dwelling Leftwing Antifa LGBTQ Anarchists, acting on Comrade Nancy "The Babushka" Pelosi's, call to protest and deface, anything that is Pro-American, stands for America, or is connected to this Constitutional American Republic.

I suggest the Joe Biden method. Get a .12 gauge shotgun loaded with #8 birdshot...or be kind, make it rock-salt and burn their butt's up.

There are alot of us in America and we are about to rise up! Getting very impatient with the way libtard sjw's running around in such an incredibly lawless fashion treating everyone like total s**t.

Yikes. Seriously, this sounds like the rant of a future mass murderer. Get a grip dude.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT