ADVERTISEMENT

We might have an issue

Why would any school void the waivers and assume all liability for COVID? That would be the end of football at UCF for as long as the virus is around.

Why would any school void the waivers and assume all liability for COVID? That would be the end of football at UCF for as long as the virus is around.
I expect many schools will be asking all students to sign waivers. I always avoid signing one if I can. Once you sign one the other party often starts treating you like they have you by the balls. I have heard several students a ND professors say they expect to have an outbreak in the first month of the semester and for everything to go back onlineagain. Apparently the precautions aren't inspiring much confidence and nobody trusts students to socially distance. It all sounds very possible to me.

If they don't play are they still going to test the kids at the same rate they were if they were playing? Do they still workout? Do they still practice? If you don't play, you don't workout or practice, unless you do it on your own time and dime? I mean, if it's about safety and you are "sitting out" does that mean isolating yourself in a room and not coming out for potentially several years? Are there then repercussions if players mingle with people if they don't want to play because if "safety concerns"? You can't have it both ways.

Seems to me this spawn off based on lack of communication. Then of course if you are going to make demands, people are going to tack on everything they can think of. Based on some of the requests, it tells me that they have no idea what protocols are being put in place, and also unsure of the amount of players within the team that has tested positive. Sounds a lot like what other sports leagues dealt before they communicated with their players, and what some work places dealt with back in March. If there is no open lines of communication between management and employees, the employees assume they will not be taken care of.

That being said, seems like UCF will have a player or two opting out much like we are seeing around the country in other programs.

Seems to me this spawn off based on lack of communication. Then of course if you are going to make demands, people are going to tack on everything they can think of. Based on some of the requests, it tells me that they have no idea what protocols are being put in place, and also unsure of the amount of players within the team that has tested positive. Sounds a lot like what other sports leagues dealt before they communicated with their players, and what some work places dealt with back in March. If there is no open lines of communication between management and employees, the employees assume they will not be taken care of.

That being said, seems like UCF will have a player or two opting out much like we are seeing around the country in other programs.
I agree with what you're saying about communication. They're asking for things that I would have thought they were doing ready. Pesonally I feel like most of it is reasonable.

I'm fine with the student-atheletes asking for almost all of what they did. They are pretty common sense. That said, "Hazard pay" is a ridiculous request. If you're concerned, Don't play. Danny already said anybody can choose to do so. Do the coaches/staff get "hazard pay"? Do the teachers get "hazard pay" for having students in their class collecting "hazard pay"? Do I get "hazard pay" for being a student that takes a class with a student-athlete getting "hazard pay"? In order to get "hazard pay" do you have to sign up to a set of rules you must follow since you are not under 100% supervision while collecting this pay? What happens if you violate those rules? How do you even create a set of rules to be followed?

The players don't have leverage, not playing football is only going to hurt their chances of making the NFL. And 99. something % of players will be fine if they caught Covid. (At least what we know about Covid in the short run)

But I think any player should be able to opt out this season without any reprocussion. And I think a lot of their requests are reasonable, but some are a bit of a reach

Last edited:
Reactions: Ldgator

I agree and also think 1) social unrest in the country could be a contributing factor and 2) difficult personal issues a few players are dealing with over the past year.

I hope mental health services are easily accessible for players

I expect many schools will be asking all students to sign waivers. I always avoid signing one if I can. Once you sign one the other party often starts treating you like they have you by the balls. I have heard several students a ND professors say they expect to have an outbreak in the first month of the semester and for everything to go back onlineagain. Apparently the precautions aren't inspiring much confidence and nobody trusts students to socially distance. It all sounds very possible to me.
Of course the schools will have to get waivers. They can’t be on the hook for future lawsuits aplenty from their student-athletes or their families that will run in the multiples of millions. I doubt there will be insurance to cover that either.

I know that we love to look at every issue from the “underdog’s” viewpoint, but you have to look at both sides.

Reactions: Knight Strength
Here is something I would like to see out of this, regardless of demands or not. I would test all my student-atheletes the same whether they choose to play or not.

It would be interesting to see the positive/negative results of all that testing, broken out by people who played versus those who choose not to. If I was running things I would mandate it just to understand for future reference, whether it actually changed anything.

Reactions: PhDee
Of course the schools will have to get waivers. They can’t be on the hook for future lawsuits aplenty from their student-athletes or their families that will run in the multiples of millions. I doubt there will be insurance to cover that either.

I know that we love to look at every issue from the “underdog’s” viewpoint, but you have to look at both sides.
You're 100% right. I agree it would be irresponsible for the schools to not get waivers. But they are hosting in-person classes and football activities. In these situations multiple parties share responsibilities. They are facing pressure from the state and local communities to bring kids back. I imagine a lot of towns around land grant institutions and other remote universities would be in dire economic situations if kids don't move back to said towns this fall.
If I was a student who didn't NEED to be in-person to follow my dreams I sure as hell would avoid it.

If they don't play are they still going to test the kids at the same rate they were if they were playing? Do they still workout? Do they still practice? If you don't play, you don't workout or practice, unless you do it on your own time and dime? I mean, if it's about safety and you are "sitting out" does that mean isolating yourself in a room and not coming out for potentially several years? Are there then repercussions if players mingle with people if they don't want to play because if "safety concerns"? You can't have it both ways.
Yes, the repercussions are Covid.

Time to cancel all sports this fall, and kill all scholarships as well.

Interesting take.

My take the AAC had the highest C-19 testing so the players would have limited risk. The highest risk was always going to be on spectators who were also higher mortality. The players who called for this while I sure they thought they might get more $ due to risk, will end up canceling Fall football.

America’s greatest generation of woke and worldly adolescents has spoken. Bow down and take a knee before them.

Reactions: Drew-C-F
The ball is in their court (metaphorically). They either love whatever sport they are there for and will play it, or they can sit out. All the options are on the table and are pretty well known. You either except the risk or you don’t. It’s not that hard a decision but I do have the perspective of several more decades of life experience than almost all of them.

Last edited:
The ball is in there court (metaphorically). They either love whatever sport they are there for and will play it, or they can sit out. All the options are on the table and are pretty well known. You either except the risk or you don’t. It’s not that hard a decision but I do have the perspective of several more decades of life experience than almost all of them.
I have that perspective too. Along with my 4 years of full ride D1 major college sports experience Way back. Makes me sick To see this crap.

Baseball. I was D2 football and basketball. But my parents had zero money so sport choice was easy. I lived with and ate with and trained with And partied with the football team. The Rugby team was more fun. We were all in the same complex. We all got the flu in the winter of 1982. We were too dumb to list our demands and sue for hazard pay. What is the statute of limitations on that? I was just happy every time I attended a paid for class for my Chemistry degree. And ate for free at the training table. I was so dumb. And so Unwoke

Last edited:
Reactions: PhDee
Baseball. I was D2 football and basketball. But my parents had zero money so sport choice was easy. I lived with and ate with and trained with And partied with the football team. The Rugby team was more fun. We were all in the same complex. We all got the flu in the winter of 1982. We were too dumb to list our demands and sue for hazard pay. What is the statute of limitations on that? I was just happy every time I attended a paid for class for my Chemistry degree. And ate for free at the training table. I was so dumb. And so Unwoke
180 days I think

wait, I’m not following what you are saying... because they are students on scholarship, they should suck it up and play a sport and potentially get sick (with unknown long term implications)...

no one signed up for a global pandemic when there were signing that scholarship letter...

wait, I’m not following what you are saying... because they are students on scholarship, they should suck it up and play a sport and potentially get sick (with unknown long term implications)...

no one signed up for a global pandemic when there were signing that scholarship letter...
No we’re saying if you don’t want to, there are 300 guys who will. Bye.

Reactions: Finance2000Knight
The “if you don’t want to play, there are 300 more waiting in line” argument is the most asinine point of view. You think people will watch major college football for long when a bunch of D2 and D3 athletes are playing in place of the most elite athletes in the country?

Stop being so foolish. Some of you all want to say “we” and support our guys when it works for you, but now you want to ignore their voice when they need support from UCF like never before. Stay classy.

No we’re saying if you don’t want to, there are 300 guys who will. Bye.

And the product on the field is at the level of glorified high school football. There is a reason the major conferences (and the top tier G5 schools such as UCF) get great TV ratings and interest from fans, where as lower tier schools dont, because the product on the field is infinitely better.

Last edited:
Reactions: anon_gi3vk9zbfmw0w
And the product on the field is at the level of glorified high school football. There is a reason the major conferences (and the top tier G5 schools such as UCF) get great TV ratings and interest from fans, where as lower tier schools dont, because the product on the field is infinitely better.
No. We are saying we are blessed to be led by this greatest generation of Woke teenagers.

I for one am enlightened.

We think the players we get are the best ever because that’s what we watch. That doesn’t mean they are the best. It means they are the best available. Do people watch MLS or USA soccer because they are the best or the best available?

Reactions: JAFFX2
We think the players we get are the best ever because that’s what we watch. That doesn’t mean they are the best. It means they are the best available. Do people watch MLS or USA soccer because they are the best or the best available?

MLS isnt that popular and USAMNT honestly, isnt that popular either outside of the world cup every year 4 years (when they qualify), so I think these are terrible examples.

The “if you don’t want to play, there are 300 more waiting in line” argument is the most asinine point of view. You think people will watch major college football for long when a bunch of D2 and D3 athletes are playing in place of the most elite athletes in the country?

Stop being so foolish. Some of you all want to say “we” and support our guys when it works for you, but now you want to ignore their voice when they need support from UCF like never before. Stay classy.

some say “we” support our guys... as long as they risk their health for our entertainment.

It’s convenient to compare college athletes to the USAMNT. But what’s the difference? The USAMNT are professionals who are paid to play. So if we want to compare the 2, then why not support their ask for compensation...

Reactions: UCFVanWilder

Yes, this is what he is saying. They have a choice to play or not to play. That is the choice they have.

If it was a safety issue that could be narrowed down to the field or practice I would 100% back any student-athlete if the conditions they were training under were unsafe. That said, nobody knows if the conditions associated with "training and playing" are any different or riskier than your activity outside of "training and playing".

What's the difference between playing a sport, going to class, going to Publix/WalMart/Target/etc.., a Restaurant, going to a school cafeteria to get their food (or eating there), a bar or hanging out with some friends in their dorm or at their apartment? If they are not going to play, are they going to do any of these?

Which one of these provides the best or worst chance for catching COVID-19? Answer = Nobody knows because you interact with people for each of those options.

Now, if you cut them all out and isolate yourself from society that should give you a much better chance of not getting it....for now, but the chance is still not zero....especially if they live in a building that uses circulated air, common spaces/surfaces, etc... This would also mean the student-athlete is not working out, eating properly, etc...

Of course, this would also mean that you are just paying to have your goods, food, etc... delivered, which means you are just putting that risk on other people. There are actually people out there who had to pull the raw materials out of the ground of from a manufacturing facility (which has to be staffed to do so), put them together, or move them from the machinery that put them together to a loading area, then people had to put the product on a truck, then the truck had to go from point A to point B, then the product has to be moved from point B probably onto another truck to be moved to a store or delivered to your address. Oh yeah, there are other people who are managers that have to oversee all of this. So, each time you do something like buy a piece of gum from Instacart or Amazon you are putting dozens of lives at risk so you can chew that stick of gum.

Last edited:
Best available. I went to the World Cup in 2006 and saw 5 games....it was awesome!!!!

Reactions: BlakNGoldAllDay
some say “we” support our guys... as long as they risk their health for our entertainment.

It’s convenient to compare college athletes to the USAMNT. But what’s the difference? The USAMNT are professionals who are paid to play. So if we want to compare the 2, then why not support their ask for compensation...
I would agree that these are apples and oranges, with regards to compensation and "bubbles". Even if a "bubble" could exist in college can that even be achieved because they are free people, students and not professionals? I would think the answer is "No" for college athletics. That said, the school can't be responsible for their actions outside of their sport, and you could rarely ever prove where you caught COVID anyways. If a "bubble" was attempted, how would you punish kids that violated it? They just can't play? You pull a scholarship (which I wouldn't agree with)? Anything else seems like it would be "too much punishment" for a non-pro athlete but at the same time their actions could have just shelved their team for 2 weeks or so because of their actions. It's a tough spot to be in with no easy way forward.

Not to be shelfish but I will be. My biggest concern is what happens to the money we paid into our season tickets for 7 home games. I have 4 seats. It's not insignificant money. Will UCF do what Penn State did and only return to you the portion of that money directly associated with your ticket price but keep the other portion considered a donation (the baked-in part for seat fees and parking passes)?

I see both sides of the coin. You paid for a product and now you're not getting it so why shouldn't you get all your money back. I also understand that portion is used to fund scholarships and support the athletic programs. On the other hand I've never cared what the impact is if that portion is not kept by the university. Now because of this I want to know exactly what those funds are used for.

Danny et al just have to be honest and tell us the full story of exactly what they intend to do, and why.

Reactions: Ucfmikes
ADVERTISEMENT