ADVERTISEMENT

Week 12 Coaches who should be fired.....

Give it a rest guys. We are 19 games into the Heupel era. He is 16-3. He inherited a team that literally had 0 returning coaches. None. He led the team to 12-1 with 11th most efficient offense in the country. What he did at Oklahoma years ago when he wasn’t a head coach is practically irrelevant at this point.

Didn’t take long for the absolutely ridiculous 16-3 argument by the UCF employee

Give it a rest guys. We are 19 games into the Heupel era. He is 16-3. He inherited a team that literally had 0 returning coaches. None. He led the team to 12-1 with 11th most efficient offense in the country. What he did at Oklahoma years ago when he wasn’t a head coach is practically irrelevant at this point.
But what about the 5th ranked recruiting class happening right now. Tulane, Cincinnati, Memphis, ECU, ahead of us. Doesn't bode well for the future.

Missouri 2017 Strength of Schedule Ranking #53. Padded stats against UConn, Idaho, Missouri State, Arkansas. Blowout losses to ranked Auburn and Georgia.
The “blowout loss” to Georgia I’m sure was due to his offense only scoring 28 points. Alabama scored less in the title game. Oklahoma and Auburn were the only teams to score more.

The “blowout loss” to Georgia I’m sure was due to his offense only scoring 28 points. Alabama scored less in the title game. Oklahoma and Auburn were the only teams to score more.
It was 53-28. The running game was nonexistent and I think Lock hit on a few of the Heupel bombs. The same kind of thing we are seeing at UCF

How did he do vs Auburn?

Have you even looked at some of the Numbers vs the cupcakes?? Totally padded stats

Last edited:
Some of these guys are just amazing illusionists. Put on those black and gold glasses, present some stats in a superficial manner, and they can make you to see just about anything anything.

Wish that I could make every fat chick look like a supermodel!

Larry Coker says hi!

I’ll stick to calling it as I see it, but hey, that’s just me

Reactions: lawknight
How did he do vs Auburn?

Have you even looked at some of the Numbers vs the cupcakes?? Totally padded stats
Huh? S&P+ is opponent adjusted. He took over an offense that ranked 123rd in 2015 and when he left in 2017 they were 24th (actually higher prior to the bowl which he did not coach). Is your point that he didn’t improve Missouri’s offense? I’m unclear what you are trying to say at this point. His opponent adjusted offensive efficiency last year was 11th.

Honestly, his offense wasn’t that great at Utah State or something, but people don’t even know that

people just don’t do their research and try to fool knowledgeable fans with superficial stats
He was at Utah State for one season. You can't do much of anything in one season at a non-P5 school....I mean you can at Bama or Ohio State but there are few of those programs.

He was fired from Oklahoma because Stoops had to make changes and rather than fire his brother, he (and the other co-OC Mike Norvell) were the fall guys.
2011-2013; offense #5 , #12 , #52
2011-2013; defense #55, #64, #20
2014; #23 offense; #51 defense

2015 Mizzou: The worst offense....you guessed it....the 0-12 UCF Knights. They were #124 (year before Heupel arrived)
2016: #13
2017: #14

Last edited:
Some of these guys are just amazing illusionists. Put on those black and gold glasses, present some stats in a superficial manner, and they can make you to see just about anything anything.

Wish that I could make every fat chick look like a supermodel!

Larry Coker says hi!

I’ll stick to calling it as I see it, but hey, that’s just me
Larry Coker? You mean the guy who was the OC at Miami for 6 years prior to assuming head coach and then winning a national championship and 3 big east titles before Miami moved to the ACC and irrelevance? Please tell me again how that situation is any way comparable to a coach coming in new to a program without a single returning coach. I’ll help you out. No comparison at all.

Huh? S&P+ is opponent adjusted. He took over an offense that ranked 123rd in 2015 and when he left in 2017 they were 24th (actually higher prior to the bowl which he did not coach). Is your point that he didn’t improve Missouri’s offense? I’m unclear what you are trying to say at this point. His opponent adjusted offensive efficiency last year was 11th.
But what about Utah State?

My point is that he has made a habit of beating up on bad teams and running into a wall vs most teams with an pulse and certainly post Milton. The jury is out and you have nothing to dispute that point

Additionally, he has inherited 2 of the best college QBs in 2017 and 2018

Last edited:
Larry Coker? You mean the guy who was the OC at Miami for 6 years prior to assuming head coach and then winning a national championship and 3 big east titles before Miami moved to the ACC and irrelevance? Please tell me again how that situation is any way comparable to a coach coming in new to a program without a single returning coach. I’ll help you out. No comparison at all.
There are a lot of coaches who could have gone 16-3 with that talent. Are you disputing that?

My point is that he has made a habit of beating up on bad teams and running into a wall vs most teams with an pulse and certainly post Milton. The jury is out and you have don’t nothing to dispute that point

Additionally, he has inherited 2 of the best college QBs in 2017 and 2018
Well good teams are harder to beat. Maybe that’s something we can agree on. But average to bad teams he has put away in the first quarter. So at least he has that on GOL ball.

He was at Utah State for one season. You can't do much of anything in one season at a non-P5 school..
Of course you are dismissing that Utah State season

However, you give him credit for being 16-3 at UCF

You can’t have it both ways

Of course you are dismissing that Utah State season

However, you give him credit for being 16-3 at UCF

You can’t have it both ways
He actually get credit for 16-3 as he is the head coach. Sorry. Just the way it is.

With 0 returning coaches.
Sugarcoating it. The NGEbraska coaches aren’t THAT GOOD.

You’re overplaying the roll of assistant coaches

Oh.., by the way, one was Randy Shannon and one was the offensive line coach from Missouri. Probably the 2 most important coaches

Well good teams are harder to beat. Maybe that’s something we can agree on. But average to bad teams he has put away in the first quarter. So at least he has that on GOL ball.
Yes, we can agree on this

Look, there isn’t ONE SINGLE time that I said that CJH should be replaced

That’s absolutely ridiculous

I tend to agree.
His recruit Dillon Gabriel looks pretty good for a true freshman. Eric Gilyard is in the 2-deep at LB. Randy Charlton looks like he could become a stud. A couple of other kids in the 2-deep as well. Obarski does kickoffs as a true freshman (and is 2/2 on extra points). RSFr Osteen is our punter.

We have the basically the exact same recruiting ranking as last year and the year before and both Frost years. Take a lap.
Where are all these super recruiters we were hiring? Why do we sit at 5th place in the AAC? Early signing is just around the corner. Let's see some return on investment. Not happy with a participation trophy for 5th place.

And I still think having Wimbush (dual threat) in would have won us those games at Pitt/Cincy. Our offense becomes fairly predictable when you realize DG ain't going anywhere.

I agree. At the very least Heup should have tried Wimbush for a few series.

His recruit Dillon Gabriel looks pretty good for a true freshman. Eric Gilyard is in the 2-deep at LB. Randy Charlton looks like he could become a stud. A couple of other kids in the 2-deep as well. Obarski does kickoffs as a true freshman (and is 2/2 on extra points). RSFr Osteen is our punter.
Aren’t Gilyard and Charlton Frost recruits? I may be wrong

But what about Utah State?
I can’t speak to “what about Utah State” other than to say they improved incrementally offensively in his only year there while his improvement at Missouri was much more drastic. Could be Utah State wasn’t able to recruit or didn’t have the right athletes to run his offense properly.

Offensive efficiency adjusted for opponent

Oklahoma 2011 - 69.0
Oklahoma 2012 - 78.4
Oklahoma 2013 - 71.7
Oklahoma 2014 - 76.4
Utah State 2014 (before Heupel) - 34.3
Utah State 2015 - 36.4
Missouri 2015 (before Heupel) - 25.0
Missouri 2016 - 48.6
Missouri 2017 - 73.7 (19th)
UCF 2017 (before Heupel) - 80.4 (9th)
UCF 2018 - 77.4 (8th)

Anything above 70 is generally a top 25 offense. Anything above 75 is an elite offense and likely top 10 to 15.

Gilyard was a frost recruit....Charlton was not.

Initially some thought he might get recruited by Scott Frost and company when they left for Nebraska, but Gilyard was already locked in with the Knights and never swayed from his pledge.
Gilyard signed up to play for Heupel. Frost initially recruited him and then left. UCF honored his commitment and he was part of Heupels first class.

I didnt feel entitled but I am worried about a coach who has the potential to have a 5-7 win season after two undefeated regular seasons. A coach who hasn't wowed me yet in recruiting. And especially a coach that we unnecessarily extended early. It could be we found a diamond in the rough but it also could be that going down the USF route of paying coaches too much to be rid of them.

So what makes UCF different than any other school? How are we so special that we don't ever get 5-7 seasons? Every program in America has the same problem. Guess what, some years we are going to go 5-7. Sometimes teams are special and over perform. No matter how good we do we are a G5 program. We may be a top G5 program, but that is where we are. Coaches are going to want to come here for the purpose of furthering their ability to get a P5 job. And no matter who coaches here, chances are we are going to have a 5-7 season along the way. It is normal to lose at least 2 games a season. People seem to forget that. In fact in 95% of the programs a 10-2 or 9-3 season is cause for celebration. But somehow some of our fans have gotten so skewed in their perspective that they think they can hold our coaching staff to perfection. It was a great run for 2 years. I doubt we will see its like again. But to think that is the new norm is shortsighted and impracticable. How about we embrace our new role in college football as a fanbase that does not give a $h!T what the rest of the country thinks of us win or lose.

So what makes UCF different than any other school? How are we so special that we don't ever get 5-7 seasons? Every program in America has the same problem. Guess what, some years we are going to go 5-7. Sometimes teams are special and over perform. No matter how good we do we are a G5 program. We may be a top G5 program, but that is where we are. Coaches are going to want to come here for the purpose of furthering their ability to get a P5 job. And no matter who coaches here, chances are we are going to have a 5-7 season along the way. It is normal to lose at least 2 games a season. People seem to forget that. In fact in 95% of the programs a 10-2 or 9-3 season is cause for celebration. But somehow some of our fans have gotten so skewed in their perspective that they think they can hold our coaching staff to perfection. It was a great run for 2 years. I doubt we will see its like again. But to think that is the new norm is shortsighted and impracticable. How about we embrace our new role in college football as a fanbase that does not give a $h!T what the rest of the country thinks of us win or lose.
I've got no illusions. I always thought we could have an elite team every 3-4 seasons and in-between that we'd probably struggle a season or two due to the influx of new, inexperienced players that need to develop. Like you said, we do not have the luxury of every year having a top 10 recruiting class, like an Ohio State or Bama, to overcome some areas of the field that might struggle with quality depth. What I'm hoping we get to as a program is that a "down" season is like 8 wins instead of like 4 wins in the past. That would show a marked improvement in the overall talent and execution of our program. Even programs like Ohio State have hiccups and look mortal. In 2011, they went 6-7 (3-5) under the Luke Fickell experiement. That lasted one season. Oklahoma went 8-5 (5-4) in 2014. In 2010, Georgia was 6-7 (3-5). In 2013 Georgia went 8-5. In 2016 Georgia went 8-5. Every 3 years or so they have regressed, probably due to having to play young, inexperienced players. It happens to almost every team except probably 3-4 programs.

We are stuck with the recruiting we have. It hasn't really changed even though we have excelled on (and off) the field and I don't really see it changing in the future as long as we are still in the AAC. We could change that but it is just going to take time, and our conference as a whole doing a better job of winning games against teams in those "other" conferences. There just seems to be an established pecking order in recruiting based on the conference name on the jersey and I have never really understood it. We are usually out-recruited (just looking at Rivals Rankings....which I know have their issues) by the likes of Kentucky, Vandy, UNC, Tennessee, Nebraska, Maryland, Purdue, Kansas, Mizzou, Indiana, Iowa State, Rutgers, Pitt, Minnesota, Cal, Oregon State, etc... and those teams haven't done anything as of late...some decades (although I can understand the reason for many to go to Vandy, since it is a great school).

There is also just bad luck and unfortunate circumstances that occur. Look at Florida, they were not good for 2010 (8-5), 2011 (7-6), 2013 (4-8), 2014 (7-5), 2017 (4-7) . Bad coaching and they couldn't find a QB to take them to that next level. In a universe where bad things don't happen to good people, right now Milton should be playing, Mack the backup, and Gabriel redshirting. It's not reality, though. We've had injuries that have negatively impacted the most important position on the field. It means struggle and growing pains for the entire offense.

Last edited:
Gilyard was a frost recruit....Charlton was not.

Initially some thought he might get recruited by Scott Frost and company when they left for Nebraska, but Gilyard was already locked in with the Knights and never swayed from his pledge.
Aren’t Gilyard and Charlton Frost recruits? I may be wrong
They signed for the 2018 class. Heupel was the coach. They signed to play under him.

I've got no illusions. I always thought we could have an elite team every 3-4 seasons and in-between that we'd probably struggle a season or two due to the influx of new, inexperienced players that need to develop. Like you said, we do not have the luxury of every year having a top 10 recruiting class, like an Ohio State or Bama, to overcome some areas of the field that might struggle with quality depth. What I'm hoping we get to as a program is that a "down" season is like 8 wins instead of like 4 wins in the past. That would show a marked improvement in the overall talent and execution of our program. Even programs like Ohio State have hiccups and look mortal. In 2011, they went 6-7 (3-5) under the Luke Fickell experiement. That lasted one season. Oklahoma went 8-5 (5-4) in 2014. In 2010, Georgia was 6-7 (3-5). In 2013 Georgia went 8-5. In 2016 Georgia went 8-5. Every 3 years or so they have regressed, probably due to having to play young, inexperienced players. It happens to almost every team except probably 3-4 programs.

We are stuck with the recruiting we have. It hasn't really changed even though we have excelled on (and off) the field and I don't really see it changing in the future as long as we are still in the AAC. We could change that but it is just going to take time, and our conference as a whole doing a better job of winning games against teams in those "other" conferences. There just seems to be an established pecking order in recruiting based on the conference name on the jersey and I have never really understood it. We are usually out-recruited (just looking at Rivals Rankings....which I know have their issues) by the likes of Kentucky, Vandy, UNC, Tennessee, Nebraska, Maryland, Purdue, Kansas, Mizzou, Indiana, Iowa State, Rutgers, Pitt, Minnesota, Cal, Oregon State, etc... and those teams haven't done anything as of late...some decades (although I can understand the reason for many to go to Vandy, since it is a great school).

There is also just bad luck and unfortunate circumstances that occur. Look at Florida, they were not good for 2010 (8-5), 2011 (7-6), 2013 (4-8), 2014 (7-5), 2017 (4-7) . Bad coaching and they couldn't find a QB to take them to that next level. In a universe where bad things don't happen to good people, right now Milton should be playing, Mack the backup, and Gabriel redshirting. It's not reality, though. We've had injuries that have negatively impacted the most important position on the field. It means struggle and growing pains for the entire offense.
I guess I come from a different mindset than some others on this board. I am an old fart as far as UCF fans go. I started school there in 1984 and I have traveled the country going to games and being a fan. From my perspective I have been told for the last 35 years what UCF "should be" and believe me the lingo has not changed all that much (location, school size, etc.). So I have a hard time believing that UCF has finally reached that potential. I tend to believe that the last 2 years was a bit of an aberration. 2017 was the perfect storm of players, coach, AD and 2018 was an extension of some of that. I would like to believe that it will be enough to help make us more attractive to players, coaches and conferences. But to that I think we have hit a bit of a glass ceiling. I think the only way that we as fans of a program continue to grow has more to do with our attitude toward the players and administration rather than the outside world. If UCF can grow its fan loyalty internally and keep a good attitude even in the face of bad games and make it more about the pageantry rather than the rankings we will continue to grow. I think the minute that we try to be something we are not (like be a UF or a UM or a NE) then we will lose what makes us special and we will become just another ho hum program. This includes acting like the coach needs to be fired every ten minutes. That talk is so tiring from other programs and even more so from our fans. That is why I LOVE that we have a national championship banner on the stadium. It says we are different. It says we don't give a damn what you think. It helps bond us as a program. We need to keep that attitude even more when we lose. If we try and keep up with the other programs and be like them we are lost.

Guys. Gilyard was recruited by Frost and is a Frost recruit. Just stop

when you have to single out kickers as your prize recruit, there is an issue

Gilyard commited under Frost. And stayed on after Heupel came on, Heupel was the coach for 2 weeks.

Also since when did Heupel take over for recruiting defensive players. Randy Shannon and his staff is responsible for their recruits. I'm going to guess neither comes to UCF without Shannon.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT