ADVERTISEMENT

We're going to be lucky to go .500 this year. I'm not

The conference saw what happened to UCF during our run and wanted in on that spotlight too. Since...the rest of the conference has hired really excellent coaches and with Heupel....well....let’s see but he doesn’t look like he is a coach to maintain a Top 25 program and then take it even further. Hopefully, Danny sees this too.

The conference saw what happened to UCF during our run and wanted in on that spotlight too. Since...the rest of the conference has hired really excellent coaches and with Heupel....well....let’s see but he doesn’t look like he is a coach to maintain a Top 25 program and then take it even further. Hopefully, Danny sees this too.
So who is? Frost is 9-15 at his new gig. He was 19-7 at UCF. Heupel is 24-6. That’s 43-13 overall

To compare, Boise State’s Bryan Harsin is 64-17. Was Boise State ranked at the end of last year....Yes. One position above UCF. How about 2018....They finished #23 while we finished #11. 2017...Boise State finished #23 and we finished #6. 2016....we both finished unranked. 2015...Boise finished unranked. 2014...UCF finishes unranked and Boise #16. 2013... UCF finishes #10 and Boise State finished unranked. That is 3 out of 4 seasons in which Boise State did not finish in the top 25.

Bryan Harsin does not maintain a top 25 program at Boise State.

My point is we are a very good program. My point also is that we are a G5 program and under the current situation we are never going to be Bama, Clemson or Ohio State. In fact, nobody else even comes close to them.

I don’t know what our fan base wants but for far too many it’s not reality. We are and can continue to be a great program, racking up a minimum of 8-9 wins in a “bad” season. Special in great seasons. We are at a place where we can put together teams that compete at the level of conference champion almost every year, even if things don’t always go our way. Nobody but Bama, Clemson and Ohio State win their conference almost every year. We’ll see how the rest of this season goes. We’ll see how our wins and losses stack up at the end of the season.

Last edited:
So who is? Frost is 9-15 at his new gig. He was 19-7 at UCF. Heupel is 24-6. That’s 43-13 overall

To compare, Boise State’s Bryan Harsin is 64-17. Was Boise State ranked at the end of last year....Yes. One position above UCF. How about 2018....They finished #23 while we finished #11. 2017...Boise State finished #23 and we finished #6. 2016....we both finished unranked. 2015...Boise finished unranked. 2014...UCF finishes unranked and Boise #16. 2013... UCF finishes #10 and Boise State finished unranked. That is 3 out of 4 seasons in which Boise State did not finish in the top 25.

My point is we are a very good program. My point also is that we are a G5 program and under the current situation we are never going to be Bama, Clemson or Ohio State. In fact, nobody else even comes close to them.

I don’t know what our fan base wants but for far too many it’s not reality. We are and can continue to be a great program, racking up a minimum of 8-9 wins in a “bad” season. Special in great seasons. We are at a place where we can put together teams that compete at the level of conference champion almost every year, even if things don’t always go our way. Nobody but Bama, Clemson and Ohio State win their conference almost every year. We’ll see how the rest of this season goes. We’ll see how our wins and losses stack up at the end of the season.
We are winning..Let's all be happy...Truth is We should adapt and win more. All geat coaches adapt, can we?I don't want to be Boise Oklahoma or Oregon.. By the way, i would love to be Clemson or Alabama.

We are winning..Let's all be happy...Truth is We should adapt and win more. All geat coaches adapt, can we?I don't want to be Boise Oklahoma or Oregon.. By the way, i would love to be Clemson or Alabama.
We all would but we’re not getting 50 million from tv contracts and mostly all our recruits every year being 4/5 star guys.

Reactions: ElprofesorJuan
We all would but we’re not getting 50 million from tv contracts and mostly all our recruits every year being 4/5 star guys.
Yes, but we are not playing against them. We play against the same players. If we cannot win against division.. Then something may need fixing. 4 losses have been in conference play, 2 in the outer conference. Uhmm maybe they adapted.. Can we? all losses by 8 points.

I think what we really need is a true leader to emerge on offense and defense. On offense, I think Gabriel will do this by next year.

But we need someone on the defensive side too, someone who is respected, humble, and can rally the troops. The way this happens is we have to lose, and the players have to feel that pain, until someone steps up and says enough.

Yes, but we are not playing against them. We play against the same players. If we cannot win against division.. Then something may need fixing. 4 losses have been in conference play, 2 in the outer conference. Uhmm maybe they adapted.. Can we? all losses by 8 points.
Yes! We're not the SEC, Big 10, or the ACC....we're the American. If we can't win in the American we're not a good football team. Come on!

Reactions: ElprofesorJuan

Being in the Big 10 makes all the difference.

Rock on!!!! UCF fan!!! You should put 15 gallons of roundup on your yard. There was a weed.

I’ll try and make this simple enough so that even your little pea sized nut swinging brain cell can comprehend. Coach Huepel bad, UCF football good. Do you see the difference between being a fan of the coach and being a fan of the program?
Btw, hyperbole much? Rock on nut swinger!!

I’ll try and make this simple enough so that even your little pea sized nut swinging brain cell can comprehend. Coach Huepel bad, UCF football good. Do you see the difference between being a fan of the coach and being a fan of the program?
Btw, hyperbole much? Rock on nut swinger!!
Is Frost good or bad? Considering Heupel with Milton at QB was undefeated and Frosts subsequent teams have been terrible, maybe it had something to do with Milton.

Very good programs don't lose like we lost to Tulsa and Memphis. It seemed like we were a very good program. I hope we turn it around.

Is Frost good or bad? Considering Heupel with Milton at QB was undefeated and Frosts subsequent teams have been terrible, maybe it had something to do with Milton.

We are talking about Heupel not CSF, nonetheless my opinion is that CSF > CJH. While CSF had Milton, CJH has Gabriel who is currently on par with a top 10 season of all time (IIRC). CSF went undefeated with mostly his players/recruits ie Milton, Killins, Gabe etc. CJH went almost undefeated (LSU loss) with CSF’s players. Now that CJH is relying on his players the program has been diminished. Nebraska and UCF are two distinctly different situations. Apples to Oranges.

Very good programs don't lose like we lost to Tulsa and Memphis. It seemed like we were a very good program. I hope we turn it around.
You mean Bama, Ohio State and Clemson? Under your criteria there are no other good programs and everybody else should just shut their programs down.

LSU lost to Troy State in 2017. Michigan lost to App State way back. Bama lost to UCF way back. Penn State lost to Minnesota last year. Maybe you can go a season or 2 undefeated or close to that but eventually you lose games. Everybody loses games they shouldn’t lose. Oklahoma lost to an 8-5 KState team last year. Oklahoma lost to a 9-4 Houston team a few years back. In 2014 Oklahoma was 8-5....I guess that means they lost games to teams they should have beat.

Look at conferences over the last 10 years:
ACC - 3 different schools won it.
PAC12 - 4 different schools won all of them.
BIG12 - 5 different teams won it or shared title.
BIG10 - 4 different teams won it.
SEC - 4 different teams won it.
AAC/Big East - including co-champs, 10 different teams won it.
Sun Belt - 6 different teams won it.
Mountain West - 4 different teams have won it.
CUSA - 9 different teams have won it.

Everybody loses games.[/QUOTE]

Reactions: Wings0fred
We are talking about Heupel not CSF, nonetheless my opinion is that CSF > CJH. While CSF had Milton, CJH has Gabriel who is currently on par with a top 10 season of all time (IIRC). CSF went undefeated with mostly his players/recruits ie Milton, Killins, Gabe etc. CJH went almost undefeated (LSU loss) with CSF’s players. Now that CJH is relying on his players the program has been diminished. Nebraska and UCF are two distinctly different situations. Apples to Oranges.
So we can agree that Heupel is at least 2nd best all time in UCF program history behind Frosts single magical year right?

The 2017 team was full of O’Leary players if you recall so odd you would give CSF credit but deny CJH the same credit for 2018.

Reactions: RunawayKnight
You mean Bama, Ohio State and Clemson? Under your criteria there are no other good programs and everybody else should just shut their programs down.

LSU lost to Troy State in 2017. Michigan lost to App State way back. Bama lost to UCF way back. Penn State lost to Minnesota last year. Maybe you can go a season or 2 undefeated or close to that but eventually you lose games. Everybody loses games they shouldn’t lose. Oklahoma lost to an 8-5 KState team last year. Oklahoma lost to a 9-4 Houston team a few years back. In 2014 Oklahoma was 8-5....I guess that means they lost games to teams they should have beat.

Look at conferences over the last 10 years:
ACC - 3 different schools won it.
PAC12 - 4 different schools won all of them.
BIG12 - 5 different teams won it or shared title.
BIG10 - 4 different teams won it.
SEC - 4 different teams won it.
AAC/Big East - including co-champs, 10 different teams won it.
Sun Belt - 6 different teams won it.
Mountain West - 4 different teams have won it.
CUSA - 9 different teams have won it.

Everybody loses games.
LSU and Oklahoma both have 2 questionable losses this year. If you are waiting for Nick Sagan to get fired and come to UCF you might be waiting a while.

So we can agree that Heupel is at least 2nd best all time in UCF program history behind Frosts single magical year right?

The 2017 team was full of O’Leary players if you recall so odd you would give CSF credit but deny CJH the same credit for 2018.
Seasons by rank:
1. 2017 - beat 4 teams that finished the season ranked. Natty!
2. 2013 - 2-1 against teams that finished in the top 15.
3. 2018 - In an alternate universe if Milton doesn’t get hurt I think we beat LSU. That would have put us 2-0 against teams that finished in the top 25. It also would have produced back-to-back undefeated seasons. A feat only accomplished by Nebraska in the modern football era (post 1990).

Three great seasons. Three different coaches. The sign of a good program is reaching the top of the mountain under many coaches.

Are you high? Did Huepel inherit an 0-12 team? Where in my post did I say Heupel was UCF’s second best coach?

I see what Fickell is doing at UC and can’t help but notice they are trending up every year. Every year since his arrival they have made improvements and their record reflects as much.

CJH can’t be expected to take over a undefeated team and keep it undefeated; however, I can’t help but notice too many things where UCF is regressing. I am disappointed but hope CJH rights the ship and proves me wrong.

He's winning but they haven't won a game that matters...yet. Still a lot of ball to play in 2020 and the opportunity could be there. There might only be a game or 2 each season that ends up mattering. 3 could be the bowl game, if it's a NY6 bowl. In 2018 they were 11-2 but lost both games within the division and finished in 3rd, thus not being in any game that really mattered. Not saying 11-2 is a bad season. That's a season most people could welcome. In 2019 they lost @Memphis in the last week, which resulted in the title game being played again @Memphis. They lost again.

being a negative Nancy but let's face reality.

And this is all conference play. We've beaten 2 really bad teams so far. And lost to 2 middle of the road AAC teams.
We scored 100 points against the teams you allege are really bad. Most teams in the country do not have the firepower or tempo to score 100 points in two games against any FBS squads. one of those games, a 28 point win, was against a Georgia Tech team that beat a Florida state that beat a number five ranked North Carolina. so I beg to differ with your premise about how unworthy our two wins were.

You say our two losses were against middle of the road teams. Really? Memphis and Tulsa? Memphis has been ranked in this season with their only loss by only three points to an SMU squad that has been ranked as high as 16. SMU has one of the most potent offenses in the country and that was memphis' only loss.

Tulsa has received votes for ranking and lost to a ranked Oklahoma State by only seven points, while holding Oklahoma State to 16 points and limiting, Chubba, last season's #1 rusher in the country to less than 70 yards in the game.

Before this season began I predicted we would lose to Memphis in a close contest. I was correct. I also predict that from here on out we win-out and, yes, that includes the Cincy game.

Reactions: mattropolis
We scored 100 points against the teams you allege are really bad. Most teams in the country do not have the firepower or tempo to score 100 points in two games against any FBS squads. one of those games, a 28 point win, was against a Georgia Tech team that beat a Florida state that beat a number five ranked North Carolina. so I beg to differ with your premise about how unworthy our two wins were.

You say our two losses were against middle of the road teams. Really? Memphis and Tulsa? Memphis has been ranked in this season with their only loss by only three points to an SMU squad that has been ranked as high as 16. SMU has one of the most potent offenses in the country and that was memphis' only loss.

Tulsa has received votes for ranking and lost to a ranked Oklahoma State by only seven points, while holding Oklahoma State to 16 points and limiting, Chubba, last season's #1 rusher in the country to less than 70 yards in the game.

Before this season began I predicted we would lose to Memphis in a close contest. I was correct. I also predict that from here on out we win-out and, yes, that includes the Cincy game.
Memphis' loss to SMU....road conference game. Memphis is definitely not a middle-of-the-road team. 2017 finished the season in the top 25 (lost to UCF). 2018 finished unranked but lost to UCF twice. 2019 finished ranked in the top 25 (we didn't play each other).

It's hard to assess most wins and losses until at least 6 games are played. Are your wins legit? Are your losses legit? Unknown most of the time. Remember when Miami had their signature win against Loserville and jumped up in the polls. Loserville is now 1-4 (BTW, last 3 losses in a row have all been road conference games). Might even take longer under COVID conditions.

Memphis and Tulsa each have 7 games left. We can begin to fully understand who those teams really are after another 3-4 games. Same with ourselves. Tulsa still plays Cincy and SMU and both are home games. Memphis still has to play a road game @Cincy.

Interesting....Cincy plays 6 of its first 7 games at home, with the only road game being @SMU, then plays their last three games all on the road: @UCF, @Temple, @Tulsa.

Last edited:
Reactions: KnightLife1
I still don’t know what others have seen thus far this season to make them believe UCF will beat UC when they come to town.

I hope I am wrong, but I think Fickell will outcoach Heupel again this year.

Reactions: lawknight
I still don’t know what others have seen thus far this season to make them believe UCF will beat UC when they come to town.

I hope I am wrong, but I think Fickell will outcoach Heupel again this year.
Luke Fickell outcoaches Heupel:
2018 - UCF wins at home 38-13
2019 - UCF loses at Cincy 27-24
2020 - ?

If I'm not mistaken, this means they are 1-1 head-to-head, each winning at home. How has either team outcoached the other?

We'll learn a lot about Cincy Saturday night, and next week when they play Memphis at home. So far in 2020 they have:
Beat Austin Peay at home
Beat Army at home
Beat USF at home

They beat Army at home but nobody knows what that means. Army is 5-1 but other than Cincy their opponents records are 4-19, and includes playing powerhouses Abilene Christian and The Citadel.

Last edited:
Luke Fickell outcoaches Heupel:
2018 - UCF wins at home 38-13
2019 - UCF loses at Cincy 27-24
2020 - ?

If I'm not mistaken, this means they are 1-1 head-to-head, each winning at home. How has either team outcoached the other?

We'll learn a lot about Cincy Saturday night, and next week when they play Memphis at home. So far in 2020 they have:
Beat Austin Peay at home
Beat Army at home
Beat USF at home

They beat Army at home but nobody knows what that means. Army is 5-1 but other than Cincy their opponents records are 4-19, and includes playing powerhouses Abilene Christian and The Citadel.

After UCF’s victory in 2018, Fickell stated that he and the DC spent the off-season preparing and studying UCF’s offense in preparation for the 2019 game, which they won.

After UCF lost last year’s game, CJH remarked that he saw stuff that wasn’t on game film. I’d say CJH was outcoached last year. We shall see about this year.

I want UCF to win out - I just don’t see it.

2019 Cincy game was the start of the second half collapse losses.

2nd Half Scoring in Last Four Losses.
94 - 27 - Total
23.5 - 6.75 - Average

Based on that I would say 2nd Half offense is as much to blame for losses and an indicator that Heupel is being outcoached.

Reactions: AcgKnight15
ADVERTISEMENT