ADVERTISEMENT

What did you think of the spring game?

All QBs rotated which lines they played with FWIW.

Precisely! There were times when Mack played multiple series consecutively, while lineman were rotated. There is clearly a need for the emergence of a capable No. 2 QB, the drop off after KZ is significant. It is very obvious based on fundamentals.....

Delusional. Maybe I should let everyone know the rest of the story and how things really went down. Nice try BrownShorts, but we now have a Faster offense and a better defense.
Can I at least be excited that our true freshman QB Adrian Martinez ran a 4.3 40 during spring? Frost seems to think he is further along then any QB he has ever coached. (Note he did give credit to Milton saying Milton made a unbelievable jump from his first to second year). Lots of excitement going on.

Reactions: Mikesi
Can I at least be excited that our true freshman QB Adrian Martinez ran a 4.3 40 during spring? Frost seems to think he is further along then any QB he has ever coached. (Note he did give credit to Milton saying Milton made a unbelievable jump from his first to second year). Lots of excitement going on.
He’s definitely got potential, but you are way sugarcoating it which is fine. It’s your team

1). He doesn’t have 4.3 speed. That’s an exaggeration. We are finding out at combines that no QB does. Michael Vick. That’s about it.

2). Of course Frost and Walters are going to continue to say such things. Don’t be so naive

3) His arm may not be completely healthy and he’s far far from a proven passer. His passing skills are completely suspect.

4) The defensive competition was not good
Your defense is faster and flies to the ball better, but the personnel is still not good. It’s a lot of last years guys. Chinander didn’t even want to see tape from last year

That being said, he should be the starter. He has talent and can run. It will be ugly at times, but you might as well put him in there to gain experience. The other options are mediocre at best. QB is everything in college football. It’s hard to find a good one, but when you do, it transcends a team. Time will tell

I would be lying if I said I wasn’t following your team.

Good luck on your season!

Last edited:
Reactions: Red Burns Brighter
He’s definitely got potential, but you are way sugarcoating it which is fine. It’s your team

1). He doesn’t have 4.3 speed. That’s an exaggeration. We are finding out at combines that no QB does. Michael Vick. That’s about it.

2). Of course Frost and Walters are going to continue to say such things. Don’t be so naive

3) His arm may not be completely healthy and he’s far far from a proven passer. His passing skills are completely suspect.

4) The defensive competition was not good
Your defense is faster and flies to the ball better, but the personnel is still not good. It’s a lot of last years guys. Chinander didn’t even want to see tape from last year

That being said, he should be the starter. He has talent and can run. It will be ugly at times, but you might as well put him in there to gain experience. The other options are mediocre at best. QB is everything in college football. It’s hard to find a good one, but when you do, it transcends a team. Time will tell

I would be lying if I said I wasn’t following your team.

Good luck on your season!
Mikesi, last time I post. Just want to say thanks. I know you’ll follow us during the season. When Frost was hired at UCF I watched all but 4 or 5 games in 2016. Same in 2017. It was a fun seeing Frost have success and of course see the ride UCF was having.

I am going to still follow and watch UCF when I can. I love watching Milton. I don’t think a day goes by where Frost doesn’t compare the job Milton did and use him as an example for how he wants our QB’s to approach this offense.

Adrian really did run a 4.3 40 this spring. Speed isn’t everything though. At least not at QB. I agree with you he should start. It will probably be very bumpy. But if he can do as good as Milton did (hopefully a little better in his first year) I will be happy. I think Martinez and Gebbia both put calmed our worries as they both seem like they can at least be more then adequate to run this offense until things click.

His passing is decent. He said his shoulder is about 90%, Which probably means it’s close to 80%. But as long as he doesn’t turn the ball over in costly drives we will be ok. But that’s a big thing to put on a true freshman.

With that said. Time will tell. We will either be decent or fail. It’s a new staff with two freshman QBs. What can possibly go wrong?

Mikesi, last time I post. Just want to say thanks. I know you’ll follow us during the season. When Frost was hired at UCF I watched all but 4 or 5 games in 2016. Same in 2017. It was a fun seeing Frost have success and of course see the ride UCF was having.

I am going to still follow and watch UCF when I can. I love watching Milton. I don’t think a day goes by where Frost doesn’t compare the job Milton did and use him as an example for how he wants our QB’s to approach this offense.

Adrian really did run a 4.3 40 this spring. Speed isn’t everything though. At least not at QB. I agree with you he should start. It will probably be very bumpy. But if he can do as good as Milton did (hopefully a little better in his first year) I will be happy. I think Martinez and Gebbia both put calmed our worries as they both seem like they can at least be more then adequate to run this offense until things click.

His passing is decent. He said his shoulder is about 90%, Which probably means it’s close to 80%. But as long as he doesn’t turn the ball over in costly drives we will be ok. But that’s a big thing to put on a true freshman.

With that said. Time will tell. We will either be decent or fail. It’s a new staff with two freshman QBs. What can possibly go wrong?
I'm glad this ended in a love story!

At some point we'll learn Spring Games are just practices where coaches show much less than they actually work on in other practices. There is almost nothing real we can gain from them. And the #2 QB usually looks like a big drop from #1. They get far less repetitions than the #1, both in practice and in game experience. Unless you have a situation where both QB's have relatively similar experience in games and in practice, there is going to be a pretty big drop off, especially when the #1 QB is a Heisman contender.

Reactions: Wings0fred
I really liked seeing Hescock out there. Also Aaron Robinson, Tre Nixon, Cordarrian Richardson, etc.
Don't think casual fans appreciated the way teams and scoring was set up but not sure if it was nad for business.
I'm also concerned with our options at QB. Looked, to me, like Mack and Kingston only looked at their first option then ran or threw it away.
What did you all think?
I thought the several thousand people in the stands shows that you still be irrelevant this year

If we're 5-0 at the end of September, I wont make the same mistake I made last year. I was out of town (in Spain) during the conference championship game. Made up for it at the Peach Bowl. :)

Precisely! There were times when Mack played multiple series consecutively, while lineman were rotated. There is clearly a need for the emergence of a capable No. 2 QB, the drop off after KZ is significant. It is very obvious based on fundamentals.....
Note that I mentioned them not playing with the 1's and instead playing with the 2s and 3s. Oddly, your follow up comment does not dispute that as you only mention Olinemen were rotated. Playing behind 2s and 3s is rotating. You never said that the backup QBs played behind a full grouping of the 1s, which is what I am saying did not happen.

Also, the dropoff from KZ to Vedral was significant. What would we expect for any #2 who does not get the same reps working with the 1s?

Also, the dropoff from KZ to Vedral was significant. What would we expect for any #2 who does not get the same reps working with the 1s?

Yes there was a drop off last year, but I don't believe it was as significant. Maybe it is too early to tell. Regardless if they were playing behind 1s against 1s or 2s against 2s the backup QBs did not look like they were comfortable in the pocket, did not appear to go through progressions well, held the football too long and it goes on and on. Fundamental QB stuff. The bottom line is that our 2s and 3s appear very capable of stepping up at many other skill positions, not at QB.........

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT