ADVERTISEMENT

What do you think? foxsports.com The Jaguars have to start thinking about moving on from Blake Bortl

Knightline Sports Network

Silver Knight
Gold Member
Jun 19, 2014
http://www.foxsports.com/nfl/story/...arterback-move-on-replacement-analysis-112716

We'll be talking about this as we get ready to record tonight's all-new Knightline.

From the article:

He’s been nothing short of a massive disappointment for the Jaguars this season, and although he’s not the only reason they’re 2-9, his alarming regression at quarterback is a huge concern for the Jaguars going forward.

It’s not just a problem for Jacksonville’s all-but-over 2016 campaign. His lack of development has to worry the Jaguars in the long run, so much so that they should begin to think about a possible replacement for Bortles next season.

Bortles is currently in his third NFL season, which is about when quarterbacks take big steps forward. Derek Carr has this season, Ryan Tannehill did in his third year, and Andrew Luck threw a career-high 40 touchdowns in Year 3. So what gives with Bortles, who’s now completing fewer than 60 percent of his passes and has a passer rating below 80? The Jaguars should be asking themselves that.

Reactions: Mikesi
It's a performance based league and it's not working out. He's a millionaire so good for him. Maybe one day he can return as an assistant coach.*

They need to go QB in first 3 rounds depending on what pick they get. But how many playoff games has Tannehill won? Luck is getting worse also. Carr is only one of them playing well and he has a good D and Cooper. Raiders lose in playoffs because of youth.

He played fine today. I could see them spending $150 million on Kirk Cousins this offseason. The real problem is the Oline

I'm rooting for him but he has regressed & is unwatchable

There are backups that would play better than he has under the same circumstances. Getting released or traded should be his final wake up call to work his ass off in the offseason at 1 last attempt at correcting that terrible wind up that he's reverted back to this season.

Compare his release to Derek Carr's...it's not even close which QB most NFL teams would want at this point.

Reactions: K is Silent
126 yards passing won't cut it. He ran the ball well and through 2 TD passes without an INT, but he's not moving the ball consistantly enough to win games. If the only way you can avoid throwing picks is not to throw it downfield or with any risk, you're in trouble as a QB.

I'm rooting for him but he has regressed & is unwatchable

There are backups that would play better than he has under the same circumstances. Getting released or traded should be his final wake up call to work his ass off in the offseason at 1 last attempt at correcting that terrible wind up that he's reverted back to this season.

Compare his release to Derek Carr's...it's not even close which QB most NFL teams would want at this point.
Glad to see that your evaluation is unbiased. Tired of the excuses.

Also he is on a team where for a few weeks now everyone knows the coach is a goner so that doesn't help in any type of development, effort, or morale. Also who knows how much effort he is putting in off the field as well. I wish him the best though.

He plays for Jacksonville. That franchise is one big heap of garbage. He's looked bad but I wouldn't dump it all on his shoulders. If they move on some other team is going to get a capable QB and could build him back up into the player we all know he can be. It would be a typical bad move made by that organization to let him go. My team, Seattle, has two guys playing OL that never even played it in college, yet they seem to find success. Like Jacksonville, it had an entire decade of being a farce of a franchise until new ownership came in that knew what they were doing.

Reactions: jtGoldenKnights
Jville also does nothing to help him out. They try to build through the draft while singing scrubs like Toby Gerhart (last year), and Chris Ivery (this year), which doesn't help take the pressure off the passing game.

Would love for Blake to get picked up as a back up role and extend his pro career by 5 or 6 years. Backup QB in the NFL is the best gig you can get. Good money, little pressure, long lifespan.

BB worked his tail off between seasons 1 and 2 and took some steps forward. He even acknowledged at some point that he didn't spend as much time with a QB coach in CA this past off season. Maybe he underestimated the work he put in.. or thought he didn't need it anymore..

BB did play well this past week but there were some major drops by his WR's at key points in the game. I remember one perfect pass to Hurns and one to Lee that they should have had.. With drops, a bad O-line and no running game, BB starts making bad decisions to force things to happen. Pair that up with his regressing mechanics.. he's gots lots of work to do... I'm hoping he finishes up the year well..He should be playing better - no question. But he is also trying to do too much..

He hasn't been good but the whole team has been a cluster since he has been in the league. The defense is better statistically, but didn't have a takeaway for like 7 games and the Jaguars didn't start a possession in opponents territory for the same period of time. The running game has been atrocious and the leading rusher on the team only has like 50 more yards than Bortles. They have lost the last 4 games by a single score with 3 on the road. Blake managed the Bills game well but he isn't responsible for 28 points by the Bills in the last half plus 20 seconds of the game.

BB worked his tail off between seasons 1 and 2 and took some steps forward. He even acknowledged at some point that he didn't spend as much time with a QB coach in CA this past off season. Maybe he underestimated the work he put in.. or thought he didn't need it anymore..

BB did play well this past week but there were some major drops by his WR's at key points in the game. I remember one perfect pass to Hurns and one to Lee that they should have had.. With drops, a bad O-line and no running game, BB starts making bad decisions to force things to happen. Pair that up with his regressing mechanics.. he's gots lots of work to do... I'm hoping he finishes up the year well..He should be playing better - no question. But he is also trying to do too much..
I follow a few Jags blogs only bc Bortles and a lot of fans are calling him "Beach Bar Bortles". guess they are assuming his work ethic has dropped and he's partying a lot more.

I follow a few Jags blogs only bc Bortles and a lot of fans are calling him "Beach Bar Bortles". guess they are assuming his work ethic has dropped and he's partying a lot more.
There's no assuming. He lives at the beach and can be seen at the bars around here frequently.

Jags have only lost 3 games by more than 1 score. Taking out Bortles scrambles, the RB's are averaging less than 100 yards per game. Ivory is struggling to get half of the total yards he had last season.

Worse than ever. Let's hear all the excuses now. The O-line and the defense caused that pick 6.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT