ADVERTISEMENT

What does a new roof typically cost on a 2 story house?

A condition of our contract was a new roof before we signed and I think I remember hearing it was about $12,000? Granted we don’t live in a mansion by any means. Two story homes can vary massively in size

Aren’t you in the Tampa area? If so I can’t recommend Arrys Roofing enough.

A condition of our contract was a new roof before we signed and I think I remember hearing it was about $12,000? Granted we don’t live in a mansion by any means. Two story homes can vary massively in size

West Seminole...3,500 sq feet. I've heard comments close to $20,000 but that seems high.

West Seminole...3,500 sq feet. I've heard comments close to $20,000 but that seems high.
Assuming 1/2, that's under 2,000 sq ft per story. It's not unreasonable, but possibly not the cheapest.

Even 15 years ago it ran me close to $10K on a single story of 1,300 sq ft.

EDIT: Now that was with a more expensive shingle design/layout.

Last edited:

I second Arry's. I've found that they're not the cheapest, but they are very high quality, responsive and stand behind their work.

depends on square footage and roofing materials used. How many arms and legs do you have...

Call you insurance company hope for a generous adjuster. I got lucky going that route... Called right after a hail storm the replacement was really needed because of shoddy work on the replacement from Charlie well before I bought the house. It's a 2 story and would have cost me 16k about 2 years ago but 1k deductible was a very nice suprise. He even mentioned it might be just partially covered and they did the whole thing but at that cost even 50% would have been worth the claim.

Reactions: UCFWayne
A 2 story is going to cost more than a 1 story, but not double. Roofers have a surcharge for height, but its still based on total number of squares on the roof. Extra valleys and hips add to the cost somewhat due to the complexity of the the install. In short, every roof is different and things like materials and guarantees can affect the price as well but it isnt as simple as saying my house is x number of square feet for a footprint so what should it cost.

250 pound asphalt shingles are cheaper than 300 pound which are cheaper than slate. 15 valleys would make it more expensive than just having 2 gable ends. A 4/12 pitched roof is going to be cheaper than a 12/12 pitch. You want a roof that can withstand hurricane force winds? More money. Is the roof sheeting still in good shape or does it need to be overlaid? Just a lot of variables to consider

My high tech new roof and repairs were $19,000
You're half-way to solar at that price, no joke.

I'm likely going to do my own solar on a half-acre
of my 3 acres in the middle of Alabama. The hill perfectly faces the sun, and I'm going to plop down a container with batteries.

When I had my electrical redone when I bought the house, I purposely made sure it could take 2 feeds into the house.

That way if Alabama Power wants to tap mine, they can 'negotiate' with me. Otherwise, I can go completely off-grid whenever I want.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT