ADVERTISEMENT

What new teams bring to Big 12 Basketball

Central Floridave

Todd's Tiki Bar
Aug 21, 2001
In last night's Knight Talk, AD Terry mentioned that Johnny Dawkins is on notice that basketball needs to be better going into the Big 12. I'm sure that wasn't meant to be snipe towards Coach Dawkins but it did raise my eye brow as maybe a firing shot...UCF basketball needs to be better. I think this year is going to be pretty good. Interesting enough Oklahoma plays @UCF this season.

just off the strength of the b12 name we will get access to better players than we would have in the AAC, but that in itself won't mean much because our conference mates also get superior players. to beat them we will need the players that they also want. our recruiting competition will have to be big 12, acc, big 10, pac 12 and big east teams.

either that or we need to be the absolute masters of finding real hidden gems with nba potential. your jah morants ending up at murray state need to end up at UCF if we aren't going beat the other power conference schools in recruiting battles. it's a tall order.

Reactions: Knight Strength
In last night's Knight Talk, AD Terry mentioned that Johnny Dawkins is on notice that basketball needs to be better going into the Big 12. I'm sure that wasn't meant to be snipe towards Coach Dawkins but it did raise my eye brow as maybe a firing shot...UCF basketball needs to be better. I think this year is going to be pretty good. Interesting enough Oklahoma plays @UCF this season.

You have link? I’d like to hear his words.

I'm not sure they archive knight talk. It was just a glancing comment on how Johnny Dawkins knows they need to be better. It wasn't a 'I'm going to fire' Johnny Dawkins comment. It was just stating the facts that the competition is elevated.
It is on sound cloud at least but not sure which episode.

How about baseball. I get struggling a bit in basketball, but to be as average as we have been in baseball is embarrassing. Especially considering the high school talent in this state.
I think baseball will get a very big uptick in recruiting with this move to the Big12. I’m interested to see how this plays out in the next few years. It’s really hard to be the Coastal Carolina’s and ECU’s in these lower conferences unless your the UC’s…especially in FL where there are a handful of good teams every year to compete with.

I think baseball will get a very big uptick in recruiting with this move to the Big12. I’m interested to see how this plays out in the next few years. It’s really hard to be the Coastal Carolina’s and ECU’s in these lower conferences unless your the UC’s…especially in FL where there are a handful of good teams every year to compete with.

Not sure that would make a big difference, seemingly Stetson, USF, FAU, FIU, Jacksonville have all had more success than UCF in baseball.

Not sure that would make a big difference, seemingly Stetson, USF, FAU, FIU, Jacksonville have all had more success than UCF in baseball.
But none have had more success than UF, FSU or Miami correct? That’s my point, the P5 plays in all sports for recruits.

But none have had more success than UF, FSU or Miami correct? That’s my point, the P5 plays in all sports for recruits.
FSU/Miami/UF success in the sport far predates P5. Also when UCF went to CUSA from ASUN the idea was UCF would start improving, didn't, when they joined BigEast/AAC it would improve, they didn't. Just wouldn't bank on B12 making a big difference. Lovelady has been extended thru 2025, and each season he has coached his winning percentage has gone down.

FSU/Miami/UF success in the sport far predates P5. Also when UCF went to CUSA from ASUN the idea was UCF would start improving, didn't, when they joined BigEast/AAC it would improve, they didn't. Just wouldn't bank on B12 making a big difference. Lovelady has been extended thru 2025, and each season he has coached his winning percentage has gone down.
Yeah I was pleased when we extended most of our coaches but seemed strange to extend Lovelady when there hasn't been much there so far.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT