ADVERTISEMENT

What political flavor of Koolade do you drink

Nautiknight

Golden Knight
Gold Member
Sep 17, 2003
Cullowhee, NC
and why?

Tis the season . I often wonder what makes people lean the way they do be it Republican or Democrat Conservative or Progressive leftist . Do we chose our political leanings , are we born with a proclivity towards our world view?

I tend to think maybe it's both.Maybe it's a chemical in the brain that helps drives food preferences except it's for how we see the world ?

I don't know how to label myself in these times. I very much gravitate towards Thomas Jefferson and James Madison way of seeing the world. Those guys knew the propensity of mankind to crave power and given we are flawed creatures , that the desire and lust to control others is very much in our nature and that leads to tyranny. They experienced harsh tyranny first hand. They also knew the best state for human beings to do great things was the state of liberty.

I know ,I know the conundrum of their writings and ideals versus reality of slavery then,but Jefferson did try to address the issue in his first draft of the Declaration of Independence.

I grew up in large family. I have 5 brothers and sisters My mom was a stay at home mom, my dad was a mid level engineer. Imagine Frank Murphy from F is for Family , that's sort of like my old man,but with less cussing. We didn't go to church but knew about God. All 6 of my brothers and sisters you would call conservative today. in our family we didn't talk politics either. it's weird in a way. My dad did talk about his Navy days. He was an officer ,but you never asked how much money somebody made and you never asked who you voted for was my dad's way of thinking.

Growing up I loved Ronald Reagan as President. The guy loved America and he had this kindness towards his political rivals. He would debate Tip O'Neal and disagree yet have dinner with him. Reagan to me was our last true statesman kind of President. Yet, I was a huge Springsteen fan too. Bruce's politics today and then are maybe 50% of my politics.

Over the years I drifted from being A Republican to I guess more of a libertarian, Thomas Jefferson liberal. I read a great deal from Bastiat, Hyack's Road to Serfdom, the Federalist Papers, Karl Marx Communist Manifesto , The American Progressive Platform and movement.

I earned a degree in biology from UCF and masters in environmental planning and resource management from FSU. I worked in government,but it never seemed to feel right, especially when I would go meetings say at the water management district where the staff would openly mock Christiians and Republicans. I eventually left government and a well paid career to do my own thing

I have a disabled child who is now 22. He had meningitis as an infant and it nearly killed him. he has half a brain,is blind and severely disabled. I think that life experience really honed my thinking. There is the academic ideals and then there is reality. I find myself to be more compassionate but also simultaneously more intolerant.

. Kyle has shown me the true difference between can and won't. Kyle genuinely can't do many things in his life while I see many people in our society complaining how they got the shaft, or what ever and I see a bunch of people who simply will not . They will not forgive. They will not pursue their dreams. They will not invest in their own lives either by learning a trade or getting an education. They constantly blame all their failings on somebody else or something else . meanwhile, they are healthy, have a fully developed brain and they live in the greatest place on earth to take risks and succeed. They were not born in Cuba, Iran or Somalia.

So I am compassionate especially towards those who are disabled and I truly believe in serving others especially in my community. I support my local food bank for instance and I employ a moderate to severe autistic young man. I see government has a role and place in our society but it needs to stay in own lane as defined by the Constitution.

Add it all up, I drink a fiscal conservative libertarian Koolaide. Part of it I think I am wired towards it. part of it is growing up in the 70s and 80s and part of its life experience. I trust my local government more because it's closest to me and I have a general distrust of the Federal Government and those who run it. I believe in the maximum amount of freedom with the least amount of government to achieve it. I think a free people in a free market of ideas can and do do amazing things. The 20th Century had shown us the difference between Thomas Jefferson and Karl Marx and which world I would rather live in.

It's a long a post . if you made this far, what say you. how did you arrive at your favorite flavor?

Last edited:
and why?

Tis the season . I often wonder what makes people lean the way they do be it Republican or Democrat Conservative or Progressive leftist . Do we chose our political leanings , are we born with a proclivity towards our world view?

I tend to think maybe it's both.Maybe it's a chemical in the brain that helps drives food preferences except it's for how we see the world ?

I don't know how to label myself in these times. I very much gravitate towards Thomas Jefferson and James Madison way of seeing the world. Those guys knew the propensity of mankind to crave power and given we are flawed creatures , that the desire and lust to control others is very much in our nature and that leads to tyranny. They experienced harsh tyranny first hand. They also knew the best state for human beings to do great things was the state of liberty.

I know ,I know the conundrum of their writings and ideals versus reality of slavery then,but Jefferson did try to address the issue in his first draft of the Declaration of Independence.

I grew up in large family. I have 5 brothers and sisters My mom was a stay at home mom, my dad was a mid level engineer. Imagine Frank Murphy from F is for Family , that's sort of like my old man,but with less cussing. We didn't go to church but knew about God. All 6 of my brothers and sisters you would call conservative today. in our family we didn't talk politics either. it's weird in a way. My dad did talk about his Navy days. He was an officer ,but you never asked how much money somebody made and you never asked who you voted for was my dad's way of thinking.

Growing up I loved Ronald Reagan as President. The guy loved America and he had this kindness towards his political rivals. He would debate Tip O'Neal and disagree yet have dinner with him. Reagan to me was our last true statesman kind of President. Yet, I was a huge Springsteen fan too. Bruce's politics today and then are maybe 50% of my politics.

Over the years I drifted from being A Republican to I guess more of a libertarian, Thomas Jefferson liberal. I read a great deal from Bastiat, Hyack's Road to Serfdom, the Federalist Papers, Karl Marx Communist Manifesto , The American Progressive Platform and movement.

I earned a degree in biology from UCF and masters in environmental planning and resource management from FSU. I worked in government,but it never seemed to feel right, especially when I would go meetings say at the water management district where the staff would openly mock Christiians and Republicans. I eventually left government and a well paid career to do my own thing

I have a disabled child who is now 22. He had meningitis as an infant and it nearly killed him. he has half a brain,is blind and severely disabled. I think that life experience really honed my thinking. There is the academic ideals and then there is reality. I find myself to be more compassionate but also simultaneously more intolerant.

. Kyle has shown me the true difference between can and won't. Kyle genuinely can't do many things in his life while I see many people in our society complaining how they got the shaft, or what ever and I see a bunch of people who simply will not . They will not forgive. They will not pursue their dreams. They will not invest in their own lives either by learning a trade or getting an education. They constantly blame all their failings on somebody else or something else . meanwhile, they are healthy, have a fully developed brain and they live in the greatest place on earth to take risks and succeed. They were not born in Cuba, Iran or Somalia.

So I am compassionate especially towards those who are disabled and I truly believe in serving others especially in my community. I support my local food bank for instance and I employ a moderate to severe autistic young man. I see government has a role and place in our society but it needs to stay in own lane as defined by the Constitution.

Add it all up, I drink a fiscal conservative libertarian Koolaide. Part of it I think I am wired towards it. part of it is growing up in the 70s and 80s and part of its life experience. I trust my local government more because it's closest to me and I have a general distrust of the Federal Government and those who run it. I believe in the maximum amount of freedom with the least amount of government to achieve it. I think a free people in a free market of ideas can and do do amazing things. The 20th Century had shown us the difference between Thomas Jefferson and Karl Marx and which world I would rather live in.

It's a long a post . if you made this far, what say you. how did you arrive at your favorite flavor?
Please answer my question in the other thread about your favorite part of the Trump presidency. The fiscal conservitism or the "libertarian" social issues. Or to add from this post maybe its his Reagan like kindness. There are so many reasons for you to like Trump's presidency given your life experience.

As the father of a disabled child maybe the moment Trump really connected with you was when he mocked a disabled reporter during the 2016 campaign or when he tried to remove heath coverage for those with preexisting conditions with no replacement plan ready.

Do you ever question any of this? Have you ever stopped to self assess why you still claim to be an undecided voter?

and why?

Yes, biology does at least play a role.

Also..

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3092984/

I like "suicide" flavored kool-aid... just give me a bit of all of em.

My only goal is to move up the evolutionary development ladder, so I'm only concerned with what keeps shit together long enough for humanity to get there. The caveat to that is it has to be through individual choice. Enough individuals need to willingly want that and understand we need to keep integrating the prior levels and improving. No not change for the sake of change but definitely not stagnation either b/c it's obvious we have a long way to go.

Call that whatever, I don't care. I'm a black guy who moved to Idaho and loves hip-hop, folk music, backpacking, football, woodworking and astro-photography. I'm a mess.

1*We8P3_wI5jIb-dcBgSplKA.png

I lean towards a Nordic Ragnar Lothbrookian semi-Monarchy. I don’t crave power, but if I must kill the Earl to protect myself or family then I should be Earl. Same idea with being King. Also, you are married to a hot blond, unless you get a hot redhead pregnant.

I lean towards a Nordic Ragnar Lothbrookian semi-Monarchy. I don’t crave power, but if I must kill the Earl to protect myself or family then I should be Earl. Same idea with being King. Also, you are married to a hot blond, unless you get a hot redhead pregnant.
Never has so much wisdom been summed up in such a short statement. You can be my king.

Reactions: Happy Hands
ADVERTISEMENT