ADVERTISEMENT

What will become of the 2020 NCAA Football Season?

What will become of the 2020 NCAA Football Season?

• Total voters

OvilleNative

Four-Star Recruit
Mar 26, 2019
Vicenza Italy
Best case scenario is an effective treatment is identified and life goes back to normal, season is played in full and as scheduled. However, if that's not the case, any other option has it's own set of problems.....Should the start be delayed and only conference games occur, what does that mean for conferences with 8 game schedules versus ones with 9 games. Would there be a season without Notre Dame, BYU or Army? No Army/Navy game, no USC/Clemson, no UF/FSU? Hard to imagine a football season without some of those rivalries. Postpone to the spring and have a full season? Do the team's then start back again the following fall and have them play potentially 30 games in 11 months? Would the NFL draft still occur in April, right in the middle of the college spring college football season?

I chose only in confrence games.

I think some games will be cancelled. I also am doubtful if many or any fans are allowed at the games.

Reactions: BlakNGoldAllDay
Here’s the thing. We can do all this planning for testing the players and such, but the minute that just 1 college player is reported to test positive for coronavirus after athletic activities begin, everything shuts down and we’re back to where we started.

Reactions: PhDee
Here’s the thing. We can do all this planning for testing the players and such, but the minute that just 1 college player is reported to test positive for coronavirus after athletic activities begin, everything shuts down and we’re back to where we started.
I agree with this but I'm also thinking about it the other way. Do we need to wait for a vaccine? If a vaccine is actually FDA approved by the end of this year, I imagine it would still be another full year before enough vaccines could be made to vaccinate the entire population. On top of that, there is a large number of people who are antivaccine, conspiracy theorists, or who have compromised immune systems to get the vaccine. I feel like I've seen a poll that said 15% of the population? Maybe its more idk. Whatever it is, it's ridiculously high.
I'm guessing the government won't cancel CFB for two years. So I wonder if, as the season nears, there will be enough new information, screening and sanitation measures, and distancing procedures developed to safely have a CFB season. This combination seems like a much lower bar than a vaccine but (in my non expert imagination) could still be effective.

The CFP has preset picked three of the four playoff teams, so they will look at fan bases and television revenue to decided who will play Clemson, Ohio State and Bama. J/K it’s Oklahoma.

The committee will play the games in their heads to determine a champion.

UCF finished the 2020 season 12-0-1 with a virtual tie in the NY6 bowl vs someone we shouldn’t be able to beat, but wasn’t impressive regular season even with their AD on the committee( ahem UF ahem). Final poll ranking 13th behind a 9-4 UGA and a 8-5 Notre Dame.

Voted cancelled season

Can’t imagine university presidents putting the unpaid players at risk with a contact sport with a virus that has no vaccine and has disproportionately affected black people.

Maybe this will be the season the P5 breaks off and becomes a sports league that pays players. Players union would probably need to be created to support the needs of the players in the new college football league.

Last edited:
There's an obvious solution everyone is missing.

We go and buy 45,000 40 inch Hisense flatscreens from BrandsMart USA, and position them in the stands horizontally.

Then to watch the game live, you have to buy a "ticket" that gives you access to a zoom meeting in which you appear on the screen and you get the video feed of the game..

These will cost about $150/TV, but since we are buying wholesale, Danny White could negotiate that down to $100/TV.

With 7 home games, we would just need to sell each ticket for an average of 100/7 =$14, to recoupe the costs.

Problem solved

Reactions: MckenzieMilton10
Voted cancelled season

Can’t imagine university presidents putting the unpaid players at risk with a contact sport with a virus that has no vaccine and has disproportionately affected black people.

Maybe this will be the season the P5 breaks off and becomes a sports league that pays players. Players union would probably need to be created to support the needs of the players in the new college football league.
And not just University Presidents....takes just one Governor of a State with a team in our conference to eliminate the season.

Agree with the P5 breaking off. With revenue down across the board, they'll likely band together to take an even larger share of the pie when things eventually return to normal.

Reactions: Knight Strength
but, I think they would literally have to test them every day. And not even that will work! :)

I hope I'm wrong but I think season is canceled. The idea that college sports would even be proposed with no fans is delusional and mostly only peddled by people who are deceptively optimistic about this whole virus. I dont believe any AD or politician has mentioned it for college sports.

Spanish soccer league has just identified 5 positive cases after opening up facilities. Hold on to your butts folks, we are in for a long year. Pro sports may go above and beyond but I imagine things will not go as planned and either seasons end abruptly or never take flight.

But college? Forget it. It wont even get to that point and they'll be scrapped in the next 2 months as well as schools confirming online school for the rest of the year.

Reactions: PhDee
Are we discounting playing in empty stadiums? I imagine RV revenue is better than a complete loss of revenue.
Makes no sense whatsoever. Playing with no fans means you recognize this is such a problem that there can be no spectators but its OK to put kids at risk who are already at a high risk without getting paid.

Also football involves a ton of personnel and a lot of at risk folks (coaches tend to be older, lots of heavy dudes in general...imagine Charlie Weis out there ?)

Recruiting is going to be very weird if there is no high school sports this year too.

Probably have to give out scholarships based on weight lifting and speed drill times instead of technical skills. More of a combine based method than watching games a competitions. Maybe you can have individual workout tapes sent out. I dunno.

Last edited:
The NFL will play unless there is a mass infection among players without fans during the season. Without a vaccine it's hard to envision the playoffs or even just the Super Bowl game. The owners may provide a free vaccine with each Super Bowl ticket.

Any event that gathers groups over 500 on campus is going to be a hard sale to college presidents scheduling events without a vaccine.

FYI: here's what happened in the last pandemic not reported btw by big news.
https://www.cdc.gov/flu/pandemic-resources/1968-pandemic.html

Continuing to see headlines that say this virus won't go away for over a year. Even if there is a vaccine tomorrow, large numbers of people will refuse it or wont be healthy enough to receive it.
I doubt the U.S. will shut down sports, concerts, movie theaters, etc. permanently. There is a middle ground between lockdown and having a cure. Personally, I am continuing to feel that a combination of new screening, sanitation, protective equipment, etc. will be put into place to get some form of CFB going again. I don't even think this season will be canceled.

Reactions: KnightVision82
There's an obvious solution everyone is missing.

We go and buy 45,000 40 inch Hisense flatscreens from BrandsMart USA, and position them in the stands horizontally.

Then to watch the game live, you have to buy a "ticket" that gives you access to a zoom meeting in which you appear on the screen and you get the video feed of the game..

These will cost about $150/TV, but since we are buying wholesale, Danny White could negotiate that down to $100/TV.

With 7 home games, we would just need to sell each ticket for an average of 100/7 =$14, to recoupe the costs.

Problem solved
What happens if it rains?

The NFL will play unless there is a mass infection among players without fans during the season. Without a vaccine it's hard to envision the playoffs or even just the Super Bowl game. The owners may provide a free vaccine with each Super Bowl ticket.

Any event that gathers groups over 500 on campus is going to be a hard sale to college presidents scheduling events without a vaccine.

FYI: here's what happened in the last pandemic not reported btw by big news.
https://www.cdc.gov/flu/pandemic-resources/1968-pandemic.html
Nice link. Haven’t heard this mentioned even once in the last few months.

Reactions: shacket
My gut tells me no college football this fall. I’ll get back my money and double it trading stocks...making next years season “free”. All kidding aside, unless you can guarantee all FBS schools can participate, how can you justify a champ.....oh wait, they already exclude 2/3 of the teams from their Invitational tourney anyways.

My gut tells me no college football this fall. I’ll get back my money and double it trading stocks...making next years season “free”. All kidding aside, unless you can guarantee all FBS schools can participate, how can you justify a champ.....oh wait, they already exclude 2/3 of the teams from their Invitational tourney anyways.
I know you're joking but it will be interesting to see how refunds are processed if the season is indeed cancelled. A sizeable portion of the cost of tickets was made in the form of a "donation", which may not refunded.

Reactions: shacket
A station will be added to the line going into the stadium like this :)

giphy.gif

Easier way to save the season is for couples to wear his and her biker helmets
into the stadium. They say that gloves are unnecessary if you wash your hands.

predator-19178.jpg

Last edited:
Would the requirement of masks and banning of tailgating change your opinion on attending a game in person?

Last edited:
Fascinating article. Amazing photo. Thanks! That’s just incredible that this same scenario was an issue over 100 years ago

If I was required to wear a mask, I would. If I was required to get a test, I would. If I was asked to give up a seat for social distancing, I would

These were the parents of the well documented Greatest Generation of Americans that went on to sacrifice everything to win WWII.

look at us now. F’ing pathetic. I would be ashamed to face my grandpa right now and tell him how we are bravely social distancing etc to save the world.

These were the parents of the well documented Greatest Generation of Americans that went on to sacrifice everything to win WWII.

look at us now. F’ing pathetic. I would be ashamed to face my grandpa right now and tell him how we are bravely social distancing etc to save the world.

Sorry but you can’t “brave” your way through this. COVID-19 is a SERIOUS virus that can cause SERIOUS life-threatening illness. No amount of “manning up” can protect you or the rest of the public, particularly the elderly and those in immunocompromised states. Suggesting masculinity or bravery will somehow keep you and others safe or invoke immunity is foolish.

I have been out working everyday, at almost 65 years old, and do 90% of the shopping for the wife and I, but you are not getting me in a crowded stadium, or at music fest, or over crowded bar, restaurant, or Disney at full capacity, in the next year. Read the article again, many colleges were not playing fb, and many in the crowd were wearing mask. They did much of what we are doing, just not mandated, and just like the spring break kids, many did what they do.

Sorry but you can’t “brave” your way through this. COVID-19 is a SERIOUS virus that can cause SERIOUS life-threatening illness. No amount of “manning up” can protect you or the rest of the public, particularly the elderly and those in immunocompromised states. Suggesting masculinity or bravery will somehow keep you and others safe or invoke immunity is foolish.

On top of that you have the segment of the population that refuses the idea of wearing a mask making it more necessary to keep people apart. 'Blah, blah, blah, I'm not afraid.' Except the mask is to protect others.

Reactions: Poolside Knight
On top of that you have the segment of the population that refuses the idea of wearing a mask making it more necessary to keep people apart. 'Blah, blah, blah, I'm not afraid.' Except the mask is to protect others.
I'd wear a ppe mask but there's no where to buy them.

Maybe stadiums could require people to wear them for admission or sell them to fans coming into the stadium?

No. Colleges are going back to normal in Fall.
the Universities can propose their individual plans. The latest from UCF will probably come in 3-4 weeks. One scenario rumored is delayed in person classes with an Online only start. That would give them more flexibility to see if there is a 2nd wave and decide from there.

No. Colleges are going back to normal in Fall.
I think they will start in person classes, but not normal. I think they may cut down on the spacing and capacity of classrooms, especially the auditorium style ones like in VAB or Classroom 1

A lot can change in 3 months. Most people who could or have already contracted it, already have got it. Most show no symptoms or recover quickly. The Federal Reserve and top politicians are already looking to go back to 50% normal now and 99% normal by August. Unless there is a huge second breakout, I’m willing to bet early July will be a target date. Specifically July 4th for obvious reasons. As harsh as it may sound, less than 1% of Americans dying to this is not worth the second Great Depression.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT