ADVERTISEMENT

What will it take to increase UCF's core MBB fanbase?

Brandon

Publisher
Staff
May 28, 2001
Winter Park, FL
www.ucfsports.com
Another dismal attendance showing last night. UCF is 18-5, 8-3 in the AAC (after last night) and can't draw 5,000 for a rivalry game against South Florida. 4,719 was the announced number.

While student attendance has been discussed, they've done a better job the last few games as their section is fullish (not packed, but respectable).

UCF did a $10 flash sale which didn't move the needle at all, so you can't complain about price.

The 4,719 number is probably a bit inflated too as there was a big youth group behind the basket (not typical) and UCF required the student-athletes on Honor Roll to attend. Might have boosted the attendance by a couple hundred.

I know I'm preaching to the choir here.

Should UCF try to tie-in MBB tickets with football? Offer free MBB vouchers to FB tix holders?

Should the upper deck be roped off? It would definitely look better if the area behind the basket had more people in the seats

It's mind boggling that the best team in UCF history that is legitimately competing for the NCAA Tournament, really for the first time ever I might add (other years would have depended on winning the conference tourney), can't draw 6-7K (which still isn't that great) when mediocre C-USA era teams got that on a regular basis.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.