ADVERTISEMENT

When will the BLM movement

Wasn't familiar with it so had to look it up. Interesting stuff. Thoughts on the theory? Proponent?

I have no take on the theory but just want to clarify that I didn't know what it was.

James then argues that these spontaneous variations of genius, i.e. the great men, which are causally independent of their social environment, subsequently influence that environment which in turn will either preserve or destroy the newly encountered variations in a form of evolutionary selection. If the great man is preserved then the environment is changed by his influence in "an entirely original and peculiar way. He acts as a ferment, and changes its constitution, just as the advent of a new zoological species changes the faunal and floral equilibrium of the region in which it appears." Each ferment, each great man, exerts a new influence on their environment which is either embraced or rejected and if embraced will in turn shape the crucible for the selection process of future geniuses.

I wasn't meaning to imply that the example necessarily needed to be "great" (i.e. President) although that can obviously have a positive impact too. Just that the example should be seen and within reach for one to reason by analogy.

I'm all for that great person coming forth and jumpstarting this shit though. Do you think they're out there?
I guess my initial thought on Great Man is that it's perfect in theory but junk in reality. Since this thread is about black people I'll just focus on that segment:

We have tons of black role models that have reached the pinnacle for black communities to emulate. Obama, Michelle, Oprah, Michael Jordan, Ben Carson, MLK, Herman Cain, Denzel Washington, tyra banks, etc.......all have reached the pinnacle of success in their respective endeavors in spite of a system that supposedly is designed to restrict that from happening. Dozens and dozens of examples of black people succeeding and should be the role models that we supposedly need. In the 1990s, some of the highest rated TV shows were based around black families and none of that seemed like a forced narrative.

So I guess I don't totally understand why or how we went from Michael Jordan and Tiger Woods, to George Floyd being the "great man" that drives public movement.

Did Spike Lee and Dr Dre "embrace" the worst parts of black culture in the 1980s in a way that perpetuated it?

So I guess I don't totally understand why or how we went from Michael Jordan and Tiger Woods, to George Floyd being the "great man" that drives public movement.

ehhh... you're giving him too much credit.

I understand a particular narrative has been built around Floyd and you can point to specific examples (T-Shirts memorializing him, actual memorials etc) but I'm very hesitant to put him in that "great man" category. Where was his genius? I've never once had a conversation talking about his impact. I think there's a lot to unpack with him but to me it's much more about the symbolism of the graphic imagery we saw than it is him the man. We literally saw in HD the physical embodiment of "the man" kneeling on the neck/back of a black man pleading for his life. You think a picture is worth a thousand words? How about a video? I mean I guess in some weird perverted sense it's sad that he wasn't a Harvard educated Dr. w/ a clean record by I mean damn.

Dude was a spark at a very particular point in history (pandemic/lockdowns/economic uncertainty/boiling racial tension/Trump) that ignited fuel that was already there.

I think where the "great man" theory could come in to play as it relates to Floyd is if in the aftermath of all of this a young Dr. King arises and actually creates real lasting change that moves the needle closer to the ideals BLM supporters claim to want. Short of that or the masses actually keeping up the pressure he'll be but a footnote in a textbook years from now.

Did Spike Lee and Dr Dre "embrace" the worst parts of black culture in the 1980s in a way that perpetuated it?

I'm of two minds here.

1. Regardless of where it emanates from, generally speaking it probably isn't productive to glamorize unproductive behaviors. This would apply to any type of unhealthy behavior depicted in the music/television/cinema of society.

2. I'm fine with uncomfortable realities being highlighted with the hope it ignites a root cause analysis that was easy to avoid addressing previously.

So instead of scolding a young Dr. Dre I'm much more interested in creating environments that make it much more likely his brilliance is channeled in to creating different lyrical content.

Reactions: sk8knight
I have seen some awkward attempts to 'honor' George Floyd. But his "greatness" has nothing do to with who he was as a person and more about what his death represents. His death gave power to the 'Black Lives Matter' movement and put a vivid picture (Chauvin kneeling on Floyd's neck) to police violence against Blacks.

If there was a "hero" out of all this mess, it's Darnella Frazier, the teenager who filmed Floyd's death as a bystander. The video which she posted on Facebook changed everything.

I have seen some awkward attempts to 'honor' George Floyd. But his "greatness" has nothing do to with who he was as a person and more about what his death represents. His death gave power to the 'Black Lives Matter' movement and put a vivid picture (Chauvin kneeling on Floyd's neck) to police violence against Blacks.

If there was a "hero" out of all this mess, it's Darnella Frazier, the teenager who filmed Floyd's death as a bystander. The video which she posted on Facebook changed everything.
“Dear George: thanks for dying to further my agenda and pay for my $25k dollar fridge. Tees and Pees, Nancy.”

I'm of two minds here.

1. Regardless of where it emanates from, generally speaking it probably isn't productive to glamorize unproductive behaviors. This would apply to any type of unhealthy behavior depicted in the music/television/cinema of society.

2. I'm fine with uncomfortable realities being highlighted with the hope it ignites a root cause analysis that was easy to avoid addressing previously.

So instead of scolding a young Dr. Dre I'm much more interested in creating environments that make it much more likely his brilliance is channeled in to creating different lyrical content.
I think it was very important for NWA and then Dr Dre to tell those stories in that moment. As you said, though, it was a double-edged sword. Their music helped to build understanding of a subculture that no one was talking about. But it also glamorized violent and reckless lifestyles. Even in that, the gangsta mentality appealed across the racial spectrum. Unfortunately, too many tried to live out that lifestyle and it continues to this day.

After Tupac and Biggie, the industry took a step back and realized they didn’t need this. But a lot of the local rappers were still wrapped up in gang warrior mentality. We have two gangs in Orlando right now that are trading rap songs and bullets. It’s sad that the two go hand in hand.

Reactions: ChrisKnight06
I think it was very important for NWA and then Dr Dre to tell those stories in that moment. As you said, though, it was a double-edged sword. Their music helped to build understanding of a subculture that no one was talking about. But it also glamorized violent and reckless lifestyles. Even in that, the gangsta mentality appealed across the racial spectrum. Unfortunately, too many tried to live out that lifestyle and it continues to this day.

After Tupac and Biggie, the industry took a step back and realized they didn’t need this. But a lot of the local rappers were still wrapped up in gang warrior mentality. We have two gangs in Orlando right now that are trading rap songs and bullets. It’s sad that the two go hand in hand.
It's hard to not think it probably did have a big effect on our generation, which then passed it on to this generation. It's kind of weird to think about, but black culture was painted in a pretty positive light prior to that in pop culture. I can't help but wonder where we would be if "thug life" never went mainstream because there were so many good role models in the 70s, 80s, and 90s.

It's hard to not think it probably did have a big effect on our generation, which then passed it on to this generation. It's kind of weird to think about, but black culture was painted in a pretty positive light prior to that in pop culture. I can't help but wonder where we would be if "thug life" never went mainstream because there were so many good role models in the 70s, 80s, and 90s.
CRACK

EPIDEMIC

The "Do you know who I am?" card has been played many times by politicians, celebrities, and bigwigs forever.
It needs to turn into a near-automatic “Do you know who I used to be?” Especially where politicians are concerned.

Anyone willing to so blatantly try to abuse their position should be ousted immediately.

Reactions: DaShuckster
No longer be necessary? Can it be quantified or is this just a perpetual thing? Like, if black people had a higher median income rate and a lower incarceration rate could the movement be ended?
The first would be a benchmark for removing affirmative action.

And the latter, the incarceration rate, isn't the main argument.

It's how African-Americans are treated compared to non-African Americans. I actually agree with BLM on this. I really do. It's a procedural and profiling issue. I ignored it for years, especially since it's outside the typical Libertarian 'care' that we need to ensure everyone isn't profiled or is a 'victim' to procedural issues.

But it's definitely a serious issue our fellow African-Americans have to deal with far more than ourselves.

No longer be necessary? Can it be quantified or is this just a perpetual thing? Like, if black people had a higher median income rate and a lower incarceration rate could the movement be ended?
BLM will no longer be necessary when We are full blown communist, and its founders all have at least 4 mansions.

Where there's a will ... there's a fraud these days.
And I'm tired of the 'far-left, super Woke' getting a pass.

COOL STORY BRO. YOU'RE SHOOK WOKE ABOUT SOMEONE ELSE BEING WOKE.

giphy.gif

Maybe it just me but...

Why bring back an OLD thread started by a DEAD poster when it would've been easier to start a new thread?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT