ADVERTISEMENT

Where is the story of the manatee rescue?

Game_Day_Sports

Golden Knight
Jul 17, 2008
Why isn't Sea World out there promoting that they were on scene helping rescue those manatees like they always do? Why doesn't the national press want to cover the fact that Satellite Beach ripped up a chunk of road, pipe, etc. to save 20 manatees?

Should the cops have shot the manatees? Should a muslim guy have chopped off one of the manatees heads? Should they have dragged one over near UCF and shot at it so that KL would cover the story?

We need to reduce the population of Manatees, They are destroying the rivers, Should have put them down and fed them to the poor.

Originally posted by goodknightfl:
We need to reduce the population of Manatees, They are destroying the rivers, Should have put them down and fed them to the poor.
Can we do the same with your old dumb ass since you've destroyed this board? We'll even feed you to the poor.

Screw all the propaganda believing Sea World haters - they do some good stuff.

And there was nothing funny about that story. I still have my manatee license plate in support of their conservation. Beside, if it weren't for the boat speed laws protecting the manatees, dumbass boat owners would even be more dumbass.

Originally posted by KnighttimeJoe:

Can we do the same with your old dumb ass since you've destroyed this board? We'll even feed you to the poor.
Well at least we can get you a real job. Head up the Obama death panels.

Living here on the coast I see the damage Manatees are doing. The population has doubled, and there are more manatees than the enviroment can handle. Canals that would have 0 to 3 in them, and were clear 5 years ago will have 10 to 20 manatees in it, the vegetation is all but gone and the water nothing but silt and muck. The only saving grace is, they seem to pick their canals. Those they have chosen are a waste dump, those they frequent much less are still pretty clean with sea grasses growing.

Living here on the coast I see the damage Manatees are doing.
Yeah. It has absolutely nothing to do with the pollution and run-off causing brown algae blooms.

Probably Obama's fault.

Originally posted by fabknight:

Yeah. It has absolutely nothing to do with the pollution and run-off causing brown algae blooms.

Probably Obama's fault.
No one is saying there isn't run off issues. but there is a huge difference between canals where manatees are in low #s and where they are heavy. No Fertilizer can be put down within 10ft of any surface water in Brevard county and cities, and no Phosphates can be applied at any time, and Nitrogen can not be used for 4 months during summer. Run off has been greatly reduced. Granted many homeowners do not know the current laws, and some choose to ignore them.

When you have 4 canals side by side, and 3 are decent, and one has 5 to 10 Manatees all the time and it is trashed, sorry run off is not the problem.

Originally posted by fabknight:

Probably Obama's fault.
No one is saying there isn't run off issues. but there is a huge difference between canals where manatees are in low #s and where they are heavy. No Fertilizer can be put down within 10ft of any surface water in Brevard county and cities, and no Phosphates can be applied at any time, and Nitrogen can not be used for 4 months during summer. Run off has been greatly reduced. Granted many homeowners do not know the current laws, and some choose to ignore them.

When you have 4 canals side by side, and 3 are decent, and one has 5 to 10 Manatees all the time and it is trashed, sorry run off is not the problem.
It's one canal. I suspect if the lagoon, rivers and estuaries weren't so polluted your little canal would be in good enough shape to support these horrible canal killing machines.

It is not one canal, it is which ever canals they chose to make homes out of. On the beach I know of 3, and E Merritt Island
2 which are now cow poop wastelands. It is probably a good thing they congregate, so they do tons of damage only in small areas while other areas remain decent.

I am not against reducing run off, I am all for it. Problem is passing stupid laws that are not based on science, but rather what sounds good to some nut case environmentalist. The state of Fla passed a good law to start the clean up process, the county and cities passed a different one not based on best science, that really does not work well with the state law, that is slowly killing my business.

To make it worse it is pushing homeowners who don't know the laws, to dump professionals who know what and when to use the proper products, to do it themselves. They don't know nor care about setbacks, the quantity that can legally be applied, nor what products can or can not be used. I can walk into any store in Brevard and walk out with fertilizer products that can not be used anywhere in Brevard.

ADVERTISEMENT