ADVERTISEMENT

Where it all went wrong.

Trigeek

Silver Knight
Gold Member
Jul 2, 2001
Until the rise of talk radio in 1987 and the establishment of the Fox News Channel in 1996, we honored the Enlightenment values on which our government was founded: politicians had to attract voters with fact-based arguments or be voted out of office. But talk radio and FNC pushed a fictional narrative that captivated viewers who felt dispossessed after 1954, as women and people of color began to approach having an equal voice in society. That narrative—of a heroic white man under siege by a government that wants to give his hard-earned money to black and brown people and grasping women—has led us back to where we started in 1776: a conflict between democracy and authoritarianism

Reactions: NinjaKnight
Ok I get it as long as the Press was 99% left of center quietly pushing their agenda, We had the values of the deep state well entrenched, and slowly moving us to where they wanted us. But once one side decided enough was enough, and through the power of free speech resisted, all hell broke loose ad the elite politicians started losing their grip on total power. (SURPRISE, THEY HATED THAT)

As an conservative I want ALL people to flourish and thrive, regardless of race and sex or preference, and achieve their goals, other than the progressive elites who florish by driving the narrative for the rest of us.
The fight is top down Progressive control, vs free market Conservative beliefs, the Race mess is caused by that struggle, mostly because one side tries to paint the other side as racist, bigoted , homophobes.

Until the rise of talk radio in 1987 and the establishment of the Fox News Channel in 1996, we honored the Enlightenment values on which our government was founded: politicians had to attract voters with fact-based arguments or be voted out of office. But talk radio and FNC pushed a fictional narrative that captivated viewers who felt dispossessed after 1954, as women and people of color began to approach having an equal voice in society. That narrative—of a heroic white man under siege by a government that wants to give his hard-earned money to black and brown people and grasping women—has led us back to where we started in 1776: a conflict between democracy and authoritarianism
You could’ve just copied any one of Ninja’s posts and saved yourself a lot of typing if all you were going to say is Fox News is evil and conservatives are racist.

Reactions: Crazyhole
You could’ve just copied any one of Ninja’s posts and saved yourself a lot of typing if all you were going to say is Fox News is evil and conservatives are racist.

It's pretty spot on.

Sales guys (a job that they chose because of the freedom to get out of the office) that are sitting in their car all day listening to right-wing talk radio about how they are getting screwed while they go door to door begging people to buy their products is how we got here.

It is a harder world to get ahead in when you add women and minorities into the picture, then the bar gets raised even more when you add immigrants that are willing to outwork you. FNC is just the television version of popular talk radio.

It's pretty spot on.

Sales guys (a job that they chose because of the freedom to get out of the office) that are sitting in their car all day listening to right-wing talk radio about how they are getting screwed while they go door to door begging people to buy their products is how we got here.

It is a harder world to get ahead in when you add women and minorities into the picture, then the bar gets raised even more when you add immigrants that are willing to outwork you. FNC is just the television version of popular talk radio.
Exactly where are we?

Until the rise of talk radio in 1987 and the establishment of the Fox News Channel in 1996, we honored the Enlightenment values on which our government was founded: politicians had to attract voters with fact-based arguments or be voted out of office.
Ok I get it as long as the Press was 99% left of center quietly pushing their agenda, We had the values of the deep state well entrenched, and slowly moving us to where they wanted us.
If that was the case, the ‘Deep State’ was doing a piss poor job of “pushing their agenda.” In 1996, 20 of the previous 24 years we’d elected conservative Presidents.

Reactions: ucfversusbcs
That narrative—of a heroic white man under siege by a government that wants to give his hard-earned money to black and brown people and grasping women—has led us back to where we started in 1776: a conflict between democracy and authoritarianism

Bingo. It's terrifying how many people think this way, you are lying to yourself if you don't see it everywhere, especially this board.

Reactions: firm_bizzle
Without Fox News the FISA abuse as well as the FBI faking the Steel report never would have never been reported on.

Reactions: UCFWayne
Exactly where are we?

I think it's going to get a bit worse before it gets better, especially as we see more immigrants from East Asia moving in.

I spend a lot of time in Canada and even I'm surprised by the number of East Asians (muslims, Indians, etc) that I see on a daily basis. When I'm walking down the aisles of the grocery store I think "oh man, these guys in WC would freak out if they saw this shit!" and I'm in really nice suburban neighborhoods. I wonder what the old people are thinking.

Reactions: NinjaKnight
I think it's going to get a bit worse before it gets better, especially as we see more immigrants from East Asia moving in.

I spend a lot of time in Canada and even I'm surprised by the number of East Asians (muslims, Indians, etc) that I see on a daily basis. When I'm walking down the aisles of the grocery store I think "oh man, these guys in WC would freak out if they saw this shit!" and I'm in really nice suburban neighborhoods. I wonder what the old people are thinking.
I think you have the wrong idea of people on the right in the WC. The overwhelming majority of them are not racists who hate anyone that is not white. Their social circles and work environments are just as diverse as anyone else’s. The racism stereotype is a strawman intended to minimize people and stifle any real discussion of immigration policy. Honestly, if you can’t help but view everyone with different policy opinions than you as evil, that’s an issue for you that really is your loss.

As for immigration from Asia, I’d venture to say that 99% of the people on this board have no problem with legal immigration from anywhere. What most on the right, and in the center too, want is some control of the border so that we can get the people coming into the country and make sure they aren’t coming for criminal purposes. The other thing they want is some control of immigration so that we can have a balance of influx between immigrants that are going to be net producers and those who will be net consumers of government services. If the current system is broken, let’s fix it.

Reactions: Knight_of_Parrish
The days before Fox News and Talk Radio were so much better. The media only reported the facts and there was very little commentary....

I think you have the wrong idea of people on the right in the WC. The overwhelming majority of them are not racists who hate anyone that is not white. Their social circles and work environments are just as diverse as anyone else’s. The racism stereotype is a strawman intended to minimize people and stifle any real discussion of immigration policy. Honestly, if you can’t help but view everyone with different policy opinions than you as evil, that’s an issue for you that really is your loss.

As for immigration from Asia, I’d venture to say that 99% of the people on this board have no problem with legal immigration from anywhere. What most on the right, and in the center too, want is some control of the border so that we can get the people coming into the country and make sure they aren’t coming for criminal purposes. The other thing they want is some control of immigration so that we can have a balance of influx between immigrants that are going to be net producers and those who will be net consumers of government services. If the current system is broken, let’s fix it.

Nobody here has a problem with legal immigration. The problem is that when one of us says we want to end illegal immigration we are immediately called racists because we dont like child trafficking. UCFBS is probably the most open border poster here and even he doesnt want to be an advocate of child sex slavery, yet that is still considered a racist position. Amazingly, open border democrats dont care about child sex slavery, so I have to assume they support it.

I think it's more about culture than race. You are educated and can articulate policy. The folks that the OP are talking about are in the rural areas where Wal-mart has destroyed their local economy, meth has taken over and they see these foreign people moving here and getting ahead.

3 channels or not, it would be nice to go back to the days when people got into journalism to tell the stories rather than seeing it as their avenue to change the world.
Good luck with that. Real journalists like Cheryl Atkinson and John Solomon end up being surveilled by the government and the rest of the media falls in line.

I think it's more about culture than race. You are educated and can articulate policy. The folks that the OP are talking about are in the rural areas where Wal-mart has destroyed their local economy, meth has taken over and they see these foreign people moving here and getting ahead.

Crazy is that person you are describing. He can't come up with an actual argument as to why he wants brown people to stay out of our country, and gets upset when people call him racist for holding racist views.

John Solomon is as partisan and hacky as any journalist out there.
This seems like yet another example of throwing away someone's history as soon as that person stops pushing "rightspeak". Solomon steadfastly maintains that his techniques and rigor haven't changed since he was winning awards for investigative journalism. Yet now that he has been running stories that favor of conservatives, he is a partisan hack and endures relentless criticism from the same groups that lauded him a decade ago. Many of those critics, of course, don't have a leg to stand on when talking about partisanship and omitting context and all the other criticisms. But no matter, this is where we are at now with journalism.

Fox News serves the same purpose as MSNBC ... spew crap 98% of the time, but serve their purpose of the Press 2% of the time.

The thing is ... the Mainstream Media is now just as bad as Fox News and MSNBC. There is little truth, and the government -- as it shouldn't, per the 1st Amendment -- cannot do anything about it.

Reactions: UCFWayne
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT