ADVERTISEMENT

White House announces it will not comply with illegitimate and unconstitutional impeachment inquiry

I think it’s pretty easy to understand. No Presidential candidate would spend a minute in states with low population. California, Florida, Texas, NY and a few others would determine the president.
No presidential candidate spends time in low population states now. When you look at cost/person to advertise, it's much cheaper to advertise in low population states. Plus, when you ignore places you tend to lose 70-30 instead of 55-45

No presidential candidate spends time in low population states now. When you look at cost/person to advertise, it's much cheaper to advertise in low population states. Plus, when you ignore places you tend to lose 70-30 instead of 55-45
Except for the time they spend in Iowa, New Hampshire, etc.

Except for the time they spend in Iowa, New Hampshire, etc.
1.) They are already invested in those states from the primaries.
2.) Rarely do they spend time in NH because it's part of the Boston media market
3.) Iowa has 7 electoral votes.

1.) They are already invested in those states from the primaries.
2.) Rarely do they spend time in NH because it's part of the Boston media market
3.) Iowa has 7 electoral votes.
It’s not population that determines how many days they spend now as much as it is whether the state could swing one way or another. Republicans don’t spend a lot of time in deep blue states and vice versa. Instead, they focus on Ohio, Pennsylvania, North Carolina, etc.

Reactions: Ucfmikes
I think it’s pretty easy to understand. No Presidential candidate would spend a minute in states with low population. California, Florida, Texas, NY and a few others would determine the president.

They have incentive to visit competitive smaller states, not smaller states in general. Trump did exactly zero general election rallies in Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, North Dakota, South Dakota, and Vermont - the states with only 3 electoral votes. I didn't look up Hillary but I assume it's pretty much the same.

He did rally in NH 8x, and Maine 4x, even though they only have 4 electoral votes each. Florida got 18% of his rallies though we make up ~6.5% of the country. NC got 13% of his rallies, though they make up 3.1% of the population. NH got 6% of his rallies, though they make up 0.4% of the population.

So 4 million Trump voters in California had zero rallies, while ~345,000 Trump voters in Hew Hampshire had 8 rallies. Trump rallied in a total of 21 states during the general election season of 2016.

It's fair to point out that competitive smaller states get a disproportionate amount of campaigning, but they do so at the expense of non-competitive states both small and large.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT