ADVERTISEMENT

Who has done a home DNA test?

NinjaKnight

Todd's Tiki Bar
Feb 18, 2007
I found it extremely interesting breaking down my ancestor's geographical origins and I would say it's worth the money. It was fascinating how it found distant relatives that had also done the test and I had no clue existed simply based on shared DNA.

I found it extremely interesting breaking down my ancestor's geographical origins and I would say it's worth the money. It was fascinating how it found distant relatives that had also done the test and I had no clue existed simply based on shared DNA.
ive heard of them but havent really looked into. not sure i trust any of these companies with my dna at this point.

how much do they cost?

Reactions: UCFBS
I've done 23 & Me and then my sister's family and my parents have done Ancestry DNA. I was more interested in the DNA health information so that's why I picked 23 & Me, though I think Ancestry may have added some of this stuff to their report as well since I did it. It is interesting stuff, but I think it's overpriced for what it is. My DNA provided some interesting tidbits, but produced no known health risks...which is great but also makes the extra cost feel like a waste of money lol. The geographical origins stuff was more interesting than I was expecting. If you've got some money to blow and are curious, then go for it but don't expect to get anything tangible from it and you may just set it all aside the day after you get the report and never look at it again. The anticipation of getting the results is greater than anything after having the results, imo.

If you have mysteries in your family history though, it could be very useful. A friend of mine, whose father was adopted as a newborn, did one of the tests(I think Ancestry) and was actually able to find his biological grandparents.

Reactions: fabknight

Done it ... and it as long as you can get past the fact that your DNA is now on the grid somewhere, it is fascinating.

I've done 23 & Me and then my sister's family and my parents have done Ancestry DNA. I was more interested in the DNA health information so that's why I picked 23 & Me, though I think Ancestry may have added some of this stuff to their report as well since I did it. It is interesting stuff, but I think it's overpriced for what it is. My DNA provided some interesting tidbits, but produced no known health risks...which is great but also makes the extra cost feel like a waste of money lol. The geographical origins stuff was more interesting than I was expecting. If you've got some money to blow and are curious, then go for it but don't expect to get anything tangible from it and you may just set it all aside the day after you get the report and never look at it again. The anticipation of getting the results is greater than anything after having the results, imo.

If you have mysteries in your family history though, it could be very useful. A friend of mine, whose father was adopted as a newborn, did one of the tests(I think Ancestry) and was actually able to find his biological grandparents.

Yeah I can't even begin to imagine how useful this is for people in blind adoptions.

As for the health risks and genetic markers, I'm going to submit my results to https://promethease.com/ since it's significantly cheaper than adding it to your test.

how much do they typically cost?

how much do they typically cost?
You can find them on sale every now and then, but for the major companies back when I did it, it's $100 for your genetic family history stuff and then $200 for the family history and the health factor stuff.

As said, it’s interesting for about 20 minutes when you’re reading through the results and that’s about it. Unless you have some great family mystery you need to know.

I want to do one but I'll wait a year or two and they'll be even cheaper. Maybe if this Black Friday one gets down to $49-$59, I'll do it.

Before I went on this guys show,I had to take a DNA test:

maury-1.jpg

My wife got one for free. She had no idea, but she ended up with like 45% Scandinavian/Baltic Russian. 3% Middle Eastern, which was weird.

ive heard of them but havent really looked into. not sure i trust any of these companies with my dna at this point.
^ This

In the absence of all sorts of information about how this information is guaranteed not to be collected by other parties -- the classic Anti-Federalist "if you spell out your rights, they will assume you don't have any others" (and the Federalists were just as right, in reverse) -- I'm waiting for some high profile lawsuits before I trust any of these.

Especially with the Supreme Court ruling allowing state and local law enforcement to collect DNA without even charging anyone with a crime -- just because 'they collected it'. And combine that with all sorts of things that DHS and others have access to, are not allowed to use, but they can give to state and local (even though they are not supposed to use it for anything but National Security), which has come out over the last few years.

Just uploaded to Promethease, really interesting stuff. Has a metric shit ton of information regarding genetic predispositions, some good (reduced risk for coronary heart disease, able to digest lactose, 2-7x more likely to live past 100), most bad (I probably already have diabetus according to this, increased risk of a lot of cancer, 2-4x increased sun sensitivity, 1.4x increased osteoarthritis risk, etc)

I would not recommend doing this if you are a hypochondriac.

Reactions: USFSucks and UCFBS
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT