ADVERTISEMENT

Who is the problem on our O-line?

ThesePeopleDontGiveaSh_t

Bronze Knight
Gold Member
Jul 5, 2019
We have to make changes to our O-line. When McCrae and Killins can't even get started, we all know the O-line is at fault. I noticed our O-line was not as good when played Florida A&M and it was just a matter of time before they got exposed. Who is the weak link the chain?

I don’t know. But, if their are better options I am sure changes will be made. I agree with your assessment of the line play after the FAMU and Pitt games. Our line needs to get better.

Ugh, don't do this. We have some first time starters. Experience is the best teacher and they got a lot of it yesterday. This is bullshit.
If there are better options on the bench we have to go with them. We have to fix this quickly. Temple and Cincy will crush us in the trenches if we can't get this fixed

If there are better options on the bench we have to go with them. We have to fix this quickly. Temple and Cincy will crush us in the trenches if we can't get this fixed
They never had to respect the run yesterday. They were able to just bull rush the line yesterday. Problem wasn't just the line.

Think they just had a bad game.

Agree with Otis, Pitt schemed UCF well, and Narduzzi had them ready.

That was my concern with the good ball game they pitched against Ped State. Usually Pitt is a second half of the season team, but when you got a big rivalry ball game like that, it drives focus earlier in the season.

Now the news is out on how to beat UCF, you can be sure all our opponents were taking notes. Let's see what kind of new wrinkles Hype comes up with as countermeasures.

Man, we play a road game with a true freshman QB, lose and people want to throw our coaching and players under the bus.

You know that other team we played....they want to win as well. They have good players. They have pride. Other than about 7 programs out there that seem to always have superior depth, there is an awful lot of parity between teams outside that....and even those teams slip up. An 8-5 Pitt team beat Clemson in 2016 but they still went on to win an ACC title and a Natty. If you look at our depth chart we are a fairly young team. We have at least 9 games left this season and we'll see what this team is made of.

They never had to respect the run yesterday. They were able to just bull rush the line yesterday. Problem wasn't just the line.

Agree......other than the deep ball, no plays to counter the blitz....none, nada, zippo

Last edited:
Reactions: Ucfmikes
Man, we play a road game with a true freshman QB, lose and people want to throw our coaching and players under the bus.

You know that other team we played....they want to win as well. They have good players. They have pride. Other than about 7 programs out there that seem to always have superior depth, there is an awful lot of parity between teams outside that....and even those teams slip up. An 8-5 Pitt team beat Clemson in 2016 but they still went on to win an ACC title and a Natty. If you look at our depth chart we are a fairly young team. We have at least 9 games left this season and we'll see what this team is made of.

Nope, absolutely not true.....just calling it like it is....we have a lot of speed which was not properly utilized.....we should have easily won by 10 points......CJH was out coached, period

And yes the season is far from over and we have a CC game to go win......

Pitt has one of the best defensive minds in the country, not just for schemes but also for development. It's not surprising that they had success at the LOS, his defenses always do.

Reactions: Boston.Knight
We have to make changes to our O-line. When McCrae and Killins can't even get started, we all know the O-line is at fault. I noticed our O-line was not as good when played Florida A&M and it was just a matter of time before they got exposed. Who is the weak link the chain?
A 5 man line can't block a 7 man blitz for a run up the middle or for a slow developing deep pass play. That's not a personnel issue. It's a play calling issue.

Can’t Pitts Front 4 or 7 just be good? Held Penn State to less points. Penn States Defense is just better than ours.
Most team's defenses are better than ours. Our defense is a work in progress and its going to take years of building to get to the point we want it at. It's very difficult for G5 teams to recruit top defensive players. We bring in what we can and try to develop them to compete beyond their potential. This won't change until we make the jump to a power 5 conference

A 5 man line can't block a 7 man blitz for a run up the middle or for a slow developing deep pass play. That's not a personnel issue. It's a play calling issue.
The screen to the TE doesn't ramify this pressure. Hope Heup comes up with some better plays to slow the rush down. The pocket was suspect this last game. Hope they get the OL personnel straight. We have lots of options. Yesterday showed us that we aren't finalized yet in that area. Also, Gabriel didn't have any scrambling passes complete yesterday?

Most team's defenses are better than ours. Our defense is a work in progress and its going to take years of building to get to the point we want it at. It's very difficult for G5 teams to recruit top defensive players. We bring in what we can and try to develop them to compete beyond their potential. This won't change until we make the jump to a power 5 conference
Yep.. and by the time we develop it, another part of our team will need work

That’s G5 football

Reactions: Knight Strength
Yep.. and by the time we develop it, another part of our team will need work

That’s G5 football
Players are only here 3-5 years. If it takes more than 2 years they are gone soon. This isn’t the NFL. You either have a good D or you don’t.

Reactions: Ucfmikes
Can’t Pitts Front 4 or 7 just be good? Held Penn State to less points. Penn States Defense is just better than ours.

Pitt fan here. Pitt's front 7 is good but they were also playing without their top 2 on the dline. We expected the dline to be dominant before Weaver and Camp blew out their knees (preseason and first game) . Their replacements are young but talented nonetheless.

Good luck running the table here on out.

Reactions: Stormthecourt?
This comment is why UCF fans should understand why they get no respect. Worrying that Temple and Cindy will dominate the trenches is admitting that you are a border-line Top 25 team and not a National Playoff contender.

This comment is why UCF fans should understand why they get no respect. Worrying that Temple and Cindy will dominate the trenches is admitting that you are a border-line Top 25 team and not a National Playoff contender.
Cincy had a legit top 10 defense last year. Temple also has a pretty good D-line. I don't know how we will stack up against them because I don't know how good they are. All I know is they've been good in the past on defense.

Cincy had a legit top 10 defense last year. Temple also has a pretty good D-line. I don't know how we will stack up against them because I don't know how good they are. All I know is they've been good in the past on defense.
Temple got smoked at Buffalo last week 38-22 but looking at the stats they had 4 turnovers and their defense only gave up 279 yds. I know we play at their place and we've mostly struggled there. Thier defense held the mighty Maryland offense that racked up 63 on Syracuse to 340 yards and 20 points. Temple's defense is ranked #19.

Cincy's defense is ranked #34, even after getting shallacked by Ohio State 42-0.

Temple got smoked at Buffalo last week 38-22 but looking at the stats they had 4 turnovers and their defense only gave up 279 yds. I know we play at their place and we've mostly struggled there. Thier defense held the mighty Maryland offense that racked up 63 on Syracuse to 340 yards and 20 points. Temple's defense is ranked #19.

Cincy's defense is ranked #34, even after getting shallacked by Ohio State 42-0.
Alright so it looks like they aren't as good as last year but I just couldn't believe how awful our O-line looked on Saturday. Worst performance I have seen by our O-line in a long time

Reactions: Nyght Shadow

What's Pitts defense ranked?

Alright so it looks like they aren't as good as last year but I just couldn't believe how awful our O-line looked on Saturday. Worst performance I have seen by our O-line in a long time
They are probably as good.
What's Pitts defense ranked?
#43 for now but where they end up is the question (for everybody at this point). Nobody has played enough games yet to really get a bead on this kind of stat. A really good or bad game could move you around quite a bit at this point. They've played #18 Virginia, #12 Penn State and #22 UCF so far so this seems pretty darn good. I'm thinking they should trend upwards as other teams that have played a couple of garbage teams finally start playing real competition. Their next two games are Delaware and Duke.

Reactions: Knight Strength
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT