ADVERTISEMENT

Who will the linebackers be?

AuburnLegacy_1

Silver Knight
Feb 4, 2022
I got Baptiste and Johnson as starters, Lewis Jennings, and Mosier as top reserves. At least through the Georgia Tech game.

I got Baptiste and Johnson as starters, Lewis Jennings, and Mosier as top reserves. At least through the Georgia Tech game.
I think you start Baptiste and Lewis, Jennings and Johnson/Yates are subs.

Mosier is still injured and isn't practicing at the moment.

Gus said the scrimmage on Sunday will purposely be run heavy so that they can see what we have at LB.
I’m going JJB and J. Johnson for the 1st game.
T.Lewis and J. Johnson are both in that 6’2 200lb range and can run like crazy, maybe one of them wind up at the Knight position? Looking forward to seeing what happens.

I chose JJB and Johnson as opening day starters because Gus values experience over talent early in the football season. Plus, we don't know where Jennings is mentally or Lewis is suspension wise. Interestingly I have heard players mention Savannah State transfer Walter Yates III as much as any other reserve, including Mosier. Not sure what that's about.

Another interesting dilemma no one is talking about is what happens to Quadric Bullard. He is definitely one of the top 11 players on defense, but his position appears to be taken away by Koby Perry. William Wells will back up Perry presumably. The move of Divaad Wilson to nickel signifies (to me at least) the plan is to move Bullard to into the box. I assume Divaad rotates in and out depending on need and opponent with Justin Hodges, with Divaad being the cover guy verses passing teams and Hodges being the better tackler verses run heavy opponents. I cannot remember who manned the SS position in spring, but that player will probably serve as Bullard's reserve. Jarvis Ware may be in the mix at a safety position. I think it will depend on how he recovers his speed from his 2021 spring injury.

on the roster why is jennings who played last year listed as a true freshman?
He's a sophomore. Someone probably just hasn't caught it/corrected yet. There were a couple minor changes that have been made since the Fall roster was updated recently. I can understand with so many players coming and going how keeping the roster updated on the school's website can be a task. It will get corrected I assume...

I chose JJB and Johnson as opening day starters because Gus values experience over talent early in the football season. Plus, we don't know where Jennings is mentally or Lewis is suspension wise. Interestingly I have heard players mention Savannah State transfer Walter Yates III as much as any other reserve, including Mosier. Not sure what that's about.

Another interesting dilemma no one is talking about is what happens to Quadric Bullard. He is definitely one of the top 11 players on defense, but his position appears to be taken away by Koby Perry. William Wells will back up Perry presumably. The move of Divaad Wilson to nickel signifies (to me at least) the plan is to move Bullard to into the box. I assume Divaad rotates in and out depending on need and opponent with Justin Hodges, with Divaad being the cover guy verses passing teams and Hodges being the better tackler verses run heavy opponents. I cannot remember who manned the SS position in spring, but that player will probably serve as Bullard's reserve. Jarvis Ware may be in the mix at a safety position. I think it will depend on how he recovers his speed from his 2021 spring injury.
I think you have some of the players' positions mixed-up. Bullard is not losing his position, he was arguably the best player on that side of the ball last season, certainly the most improved player in the program. He played through an injury late in the season, and he missed all spring, but he's penciled in as one of the leaders of this defense at safety.

I hadn't heard or read anything that Divaad Wilson was moving to nickel - he played mostly free safety last season. Again, I would question that move, since the overall defense (and season trajectory) really turned around when Justin Hodges was moved to nickel last season. He looked very comfortable there, not sure why the defense would make a change. If I had to guess, I would assume Bullard and Wilson are the two safeties, with Perry getting reps at safety as well. Maybe if either Hodges or Wilson's play fall off, then maybe Perry gets a bigger role. I just don't see that at the moment (barring an unforseen injury).

Reactions: U C to the F
I think you have some of the players' positions mixed-up. Bullard is not losing his position, he was arguably the best player on that side of the ball last season, certainly the most improved player in the program. He played through an injury late in the season, and he missed all spring, but he's penciled in as one of the leaders of this defense at safety.

I hadn't heard or read anything that Divaad Wilson was moving to nickel - he played mostly free safety last season. Again, I would question that move, since the overall defense (and season trajectory) really turned around when Justin Hodges was moved to nickel last season. He looked very comfortable there, not sure why the defense would make a change. If I had to guess, I would assume Bullard and Wilson are the two safeties, with Perry getting reps at safety as well. Maybe if either Hodges or Wilson's play fall off, then maybe Perry gets a bigger role. I just don't see that at the moment (barring an unforseen injury).

UCF gave Divaad's spot away. He was the strong safety and was moved to Nichol where Justin Hodges played. UCF gave free safety to Koby Perry so naturally I expect Bullard to move down inside the box because he is the team's best tackler.
Divaad be like.
South Park Jobs GIF

I will also admit I haven't seen UCF's defense play.

UCF gave Divaad's spot away. He was the strong safety and was moved to Nichol where Justin Hodges played. UCF gave free safety to Koby Perry so naturally I expect Bullard to move down inside the box because he is the team's best tackler.
Divaad be like.
South Park Jobs GIF

I will also admit I haven't seen UCF's defense play.
Well that video was from the Spring (when it's not that uncommon to move guys around, especially veteran players), but you are right. I've read a couple recent pieces from the last week or two mentioning Wilson playing nickel.

It's actually not a terrible idea, I think Wilson is much more effective playing the pass then coming downhill to play the run. Wilson is a very fast player (excelled in track in HS) that covers a lot of ground, but I found him last season to be one of the poorer form tacklers in the secondary. His speed puts him in a position to make a lot of plays, but he missed as many tackles as he executed.

I've heard really good things about freshmen N. Martinez in camp from a few players. He was banged up, but still around the team as an early enrollee in the Spring. I wouldn't be surprised if he sees some time somewhere in the defensive backfield.

If I had to guess, I think depth could look something like this...

Corner
D. Brown
B. Adams

Corner
C. Thornton
N. Martinez

Strong Safety
Hodges/Perry/Wells
D. Lester

Free Safety
Q. Bullard
Hodges/Perry/Wells

And then, like you said...Ware could be in the mix if he's healthy. And I would love to see a breakout from J. Francois. And you have the Henderson twins looming too. It would be nice to see them active on special teams.

A lot of depth for sure...

Reactions: AuburnLegacy_1
We have problems at every position this year! How are we going to get all this starting quality talent on the field this season?

2012-fiesta-bowl-parade-oversize-car-clowns-28471004.jpg

ADVERTISEMENT