ADVERTISEMENT

Why do you attend UCF Sporting events?

Nautiknight

Golden Knight
Gold Member
Sep 17, 2003
Cullowhee, NC
I am going to be north of 55 this year and you start to appreciate the days a bit more I think. Time is flying by. When I look back at my UCF journey it started out as something kind of utilitarian. For me UCF was a decent local college growing up, so I applied. In the fall of 86 I was a freshman and since my sister got us free tickets to see UCF play football back when I was in middle and high school I was sort of already primed to go to games.

I wasn't a party kid and didn't have extra money for being Greek. I did have an UCF student ID with my photo on it along with my social security number . 😆 and, that my friends got you into sporting events for free!

Football in particular was something for me as a connection to my school and to hang out with friends. It was a source of pride. Then it turned into an addiction. The kind where
your Sundays were in ruin over a loss and the only way to wash that off was a win next Saturday. Then and only then would all be right in the world. Many here know the feeling. I am thankful the Sunday blues are behind me now after a loss.

Culturally we are pushed into college I think and it's not necessarily a bad thing. We always here you gotta to college. It's of course to get a degree, but the push is there to do something after high school. So, we pick a school.

Deep down we as a species survived by and through tribalism. The modern world does what it can to eliminate tribal behavior, except for sports. It's us versus them in sports and colleges feed on the tribal instincts of the soul. UCF is no different and it's my tribe. It's couched as UCFamily or Knight Nation ,but it feeds the ancient DNA in us all to be part of a group.

I raised my kids on UCF sports . When I lived in Orange City we would go to every home football game , take in some basketball and baseball. It was a way to spend some quality time with the fam.

Now, it's truly special. My youngest is an UCF student and Marching Knight . Going to football games is coming full circle for me. My son is becoming a man, carving his own way in this world and in some ways walking in my footsteps while making his own.

I know many here have kids going to more prestigious universities. You should be proud. I gotta say tbough there is something special when your kids say, I want to go to UCF and being an alum yourself. It's great seeing them wear the black and gold be it in athletics or in the MKs.

For me, football is a connection. It's a connection to my past, memories with my friends and in particular my family. It's a connection to the present. There is a connection to the brick and mortar of UCF itself, but it's truly about connecting to people. It's connecting to yall here. I have met many of you through this forum especially those who visit the Smokies. UCF athletics is connection. I attend because the time spent making connections improves the quality of our lives . Its the laginap of life, a little extra something as they say in New Orleans. My son and I are close and our love of UCF sports is something that binds us. It's truly an awesome connection. The older I get the more I savor these times.
Go Knights and Charge on!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.