ADVERTISEMENT

Why is it that most people who don’t want to open up the economy don’t work anyway?

Ucfmikes

Todd's Tiki Bar
Gold Member
Jun 6, 2015
Interesting question. They laugh at the unemployment numbers and they don’t want to open up the economy.

Seems like a very confused group

TDS maybe?

Confirmed by today’s posters

The ones who don’t want to open the economy don’t work, are retired, retired military or well to do.

We have been on lockdown for basically 1 month and very little has changed in the curve Meanwhile the economy continues to spiral downward and unemployment has exceeded 22 million, but left wing radical extremists don’t care.

Last edited:
You're embarrassing yourself. Only a f*king moron would say something this stupid.
You embarrass yourself in 100-% of the posts that you write. We basically have been on lockdown for a month and new cases/deaths took a leap today. You’re a fukcing old, retired uneducated imbecile who never leaves the house.

You wouldn’t bat an eye if unemployment hits 50 million as long as we are on a half-ass lockdown that’s not done shit

Right guys?? :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

You embarrass yourself in 100-% of the posts that you write. We basically have been on lockdown for a month and new cases/deaths took a leap today. You’re a fukcing old, retired uneducated imbecile who never leaves the house.

You wouldn’t bat an eye if unemployment hits 50 million as long as we are on a half-ass lockdown that’s not done shit

Right guys?? :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

So, what would you like to do? Open things up, which would obviously spread the virus even more, or would you like for Trump to call for a full lockdown?

Moderate opening with really controlled guidelines. Sitting inside houses but shopping at packed Walmart, target, Publix, etc isn't doing much. Might as well keep people employed and get it over with.

I would argue we are already "moderately opened", so what exactly do you mean by that and what are your controlled guidelines?

So, what would you like to do? Open things up, which would obviously spread the virus even more, or would you like for Trump to call for a full lockdown?
The bottom line is that Americans can’t be fully locked down. This hasn’t been talked about enough and will be for decades to come in retrospective studies

Moderate opening with really controlled guidelines. Sitting inside houses but shopping at packed Walmart, target, Publix, etc isn't doing much. Might as well keep people employed and get it over with.
Sadly, you are right

Now we are screwed. We wasted 3-4 weeks on a half-ass lockdown and got nowhere

People are dying AND the economy is tanking

I said this 2 weeks ago

Now we are screwed. We wasted 3-4 weeks on a half-ass lockdown and got nowhere

People are dying AND the economy is tanking

I said this 2 weeks ago

You keep implying that it isnt working, but the curve is flattening in a lot of places around the country, so the distancing certainly is working. Without the social distancing the death toll would likely be much higher.

You keep implying that it isnt working, but the curve is flattening in a lot of places around the country, so the distancing certainly is working. Without the social distancing the death toll would likely be much higher.
It’s working OK in some places, better in others and not very well in places like NY

The problem is that it’s a half-ass lockdown and overall it’s working too slowly, so this isn’t ending fast enough to stop the economy from tanking

On top of that, people have had enough

Now we really have a mess on our hands

It’s working OK in some places, better in others and not very well in places like NY

The problem is that it’s a half-ass lockdown and overall it’s working too slowly, so this isn’t ending fast enough to stop the economy from tanking

On top of that, people have had enough

Now we really have a mess on our hands

So what are your expectations if we just open back up like normal? You dont think the virus will get worse and spread in more places? Do you think the economy will just bounce back with people will filling up bars, restaurants, events, etc?

So what are your expectations if we just open back up like normal? You dont think the virus will get worse and spread in more places? Do you think the economy will just bounce back with people will filling up bars, restaurants, events, etc?
It’s a perfect storm now

1) Americans don’t want to be locked down. This isn’t Italy, China or South Korea

2) The half-ass lockdown is flattening the curve too slowly

3) The economy is tanking due to the half-ass lockdown taking too long to open the economy completely.

4) People are getting desperate and rioting

Solution: None that are great

Open the economy in non hotspots slowly and restrict travel to and from hotspots. Monitor the curve carefully.

May be a first, I agree with you.
Fact #1. We have been on lockdown for nearly a month

Fact #2. Very little has changed

There were 32,165 new cases today and over 2,500 deaths. Both the most in several days

Check the graphs chief before you agree with an imbecile

We are not going back to normal for quite a while. That being said you have to loosen things up to the point people can work. I am lucky my business in on essential list in Fl. And business so far is only down a bit from normal, but that will change big time if people can't start getting back to work. The economy is not going to bounce back quickly, buy we need to slow the bleeding.

It’s a perfect storm now

1) Americans don’t want to be locked down. This isn’t Italy, China or South Korea

2) The half-ass lockdown is flattening the curve too slowly

3) The economy is tanking due to the half-ass lockdown taking too long to open the economy completely.

4) People are getting desperate and rioting

Solution: None that are great

Open the economy in non hotspots slowly and restrict travel to and from hotspots. Monitor the curve carefully.

1) I highly doubt people in those countries want to be locked down either, but not wanting to be locked down doesnt change the fact we have a highly contagious virus spreading.

2) OK, but we have basically 3 options right now. No lockdown which would obviously spread the virus even more, the current lockdown which you dont like, or a full lockdown which you are against as well.

3) YOu dont think the economy will tank if the virus is more widespread?

4) Yeah, it sucks, we all agree.

Fact #1. We have been on lockdown for nearly a month

Fact #2. Very little has changed

Tell that to the 22 million who are out of work, tell that to the small business people who are losing everything they have worked for over a lifetime. Tell that to the 80k workers Disney is going to furlough next week. Tell that to the farmers who have to give away their crops because the commercial side of their sales no longer exist. Tell that to the people sitting in line for hours to get food, because they no longer have an income, and unemployment has not kicked in yet. Little has changed for some, much has changed for most.

We are not going back to normal for quite a while. That being said you have to loosen things up to the point people can work. I am lucky my business in on essential list in Fl. And business so far is only down a bit from normal, but that will change big time if people can't start getting back to work. The economy is not going to bounce back quickly, buy we need to slow the bleeding.

But loosen things up how? Everywhere is different depending on where people live as to far as what is opened and closed, but where I live bars, restaurants, and events are the things mostly impacted, and opening those things up right now seems like a disaster waiting to happen. Maybe hair salons and things of that nature can open up shortly, but anything that draws crowds seems like it could backfire pretty easily.

Tell that to the 22 million who are out of work, tell that to the small business people who are losing everything they have worked for over a lifetime. Tell that to the 80k workers Disney is going to furlough next week. Tell that to the farmers who have to give away their crops because the commercial side of their sales no longer exist. Tell that to the people sitting in line for hours to get food, because they no longer have an income, and unemployment has not kicked in yet. Little has changed for some, much has changed for most.
Ok we have a communication issue. What I’m saying is the lockdown hasn’t done enough to slow down the curve. It’s happening too slowly. It hasn’t really done shit as the economy continues to tank. That’s why WE HAVE TO OPEN IT in some manner, otherwise this will go on for months

Last edited:
The thing that annoys me the most is that it’s glaringly obvious who the selfish people are that don’t need the economy to open
That’s what my whole thread is about

People who don’t need to work thinking unemployment is OK. Then they laugh at the unemployment figures under Trump DURING A PANDEMIC

The thing that annoys me the most is that it’s glaringly obvious who the selfish people are that don’t need the economy to open
That’s what my whole thread is about

People who don’t need to work thinking unemployment is OK. Then they laugh at the unemployment figures under Trump DURING A PANDEMIC

THis isnt remotely true. Nobody is happy about the economy, nobody is happy not being able to do the things we want to do. But we have a choice, and you dont seem to want to acknowledge the consquences of those choices.. The choice is try to rid the virus from our society as quickly and as much as we can, or go about life as normal and likely spread the virus much more and risk more people dying, more people struggling financially due to medical bills, and in reality, the economy isnt going to be great with a highly contagious virus spreading everywhere, it just isnt.

THis isnt remotely true. Nobody is happy about the economy, nobody is happy not being able to do the things we want to do. But we have a choice, and you dont seem to want to acknowledge the consquences of those choices.. The choice is try to rid the virus from our society as quickly and as much as we can, or go about life as normal and likely spread the virus much more and risk more people dying, more people struggling financially due to medical bills, and in reality, the economy isnt going to be great with a highly contagious virus spreading everywhere, it just isnt.
Do you not agree that a “partial”‘lockdown is flattening the curve too slowly?

That’s basically fact. Therefore, this is being dragged out and the economy is spiraling down

So.,, you either flatten the curve quicker or open up the economy in some manner

We can’t continue this BS lockdown for many more months. It’s a “partial” lockdown. Just visit Walmart and that’s all you need to know about America’s lockdown

We are going in circles, but we fundamentally agree. I DO NOT want this to spread at a more rapid rate, but certain things need to reopen that are lower risk

Last edited:
Do you not agree that a “partial”‘lockdown is flattening the curve too slowly?

That’s basically fact. Therefore, this is being dragged out and the economy is spiraling down

So.,, you either flatten the curve quicker or open up the economy in some manner

We can’t continue this BS lockdown for many more months. It’s a “partial” lockdown. Just visit Walmart and that’s all you need to know about America’s lockdown

I guess it depends on what your expectations were and how you define "slowly". Every state is different but I'll use Florida since you live there, as an example. DeSantis announced a shutdown in Florida on April 1st. Today is April 17th. So Florida has been shut down for 16 days, and already reopened beaches today. So if you think that is too slow then your expectations were just different then mine, because I certainly didnt think we would be through this in 2 weeks.

Im
I guess it depends on what your expectations were and how you define "slowly". Every state is different but I'll use Florida since you live there, as an example. DeSantis announced a shutdown in Florida on April 1st. Today is April 17th. So Florida has been shut down for 16 days, and already reopened beaches today. So if you think that is too slow then your expectations were just different then mine, because I certainly didnt think we would be through this in 2 weeks.
In reality, gyms, restaurants, etc have been closed for much longer than that. After today’s spike, it hasn’t done much to slow the virus spread IMO

As far as opening up slowly. Let’s start with salons, elective surgeries, sitting on a beach with social distancing. After that, restaurants and bars with limited patrons and social distancing

The entire reason for the shutdowns was to keep hospitals from being overwhelmed. It looks like that was never really a legitimate threat. Look at how bad things got in NYC, their hospitals have been OK. That medical ship they brought in to assist was barely used.

The entire reason for the shutdowns was to keep hospitals from being overwhelmed. It looks like that was never really a legitimate threat. Look at how bad things got in NYC, their hospitals have been OK. That medical ship they brought in to assist was barely used.

You cant say it wasnt a legitimate threat because we did start social distancing and shutting many things down. There is no question social distancing has helped a lot. It is probably impossible to quantitate exactly how much it has helped, but no question it has helped. I saw someone label this as the "preparation paradox". We takes steps to prevent it from getting as bad as it might have, and people say we overreacted. Of course if we did nothing and it did get really bad, those same people would be asking why we didnt do anything.

You cant say it wasnt a legitimate threat because we did start social distancing and shutting many things down. There is no question social distancing has helped a lot. It is probably impossible to quantitate exactly how much it has helped, but no question it has helped. I saw someone label this as the "preparation paradox". We takes steps to prevent it from getting as bad as it might have, and people say we overreacted. Of course if we did nothing and it did get really bad, those same people would be asking why we didnt do anything.
I generally agree, but it's hard to imagine that NYC could have been any worse just based on what we know about the virus, the living conditions, and the amount of time before they locked down. Its a recipe for disaster. But through it all, the response outpaced the need. Its pretty impressive, really.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT