ADVERTISEMENT

Why is John Lewis off limits?

UCFKnight85

GOL's Inner Circle
Gold Member
May 6, 2003
It's sad that Trump is again in a Twitter war but I can't help but wonder why the usual suspects are acting like Lewis simply cannot be criticized for anything.

As far as I can tell, Lewis has been a bitter partisan since at least 2008 if not before. The guy did in fact lie about this being the first inauguration that he'll skip. He didn't attend in 2000 since he was busy saying Bush wasn't legit either.

And in 2008 he all but accused McCain of being a raging racist, which McCain vowed to never forgive him for.

I get that he was a Civil Rights hero, but does that mean no one can call him out today for being a raging partisan asshole and Democratic Party attack dog?

I don't think Lewis is off limits. I also don't think he is all talk or representing a crime infested district that is doing horribly either. What did Trump hope to gain by attacking a Civil Rights hero?

I don't think he's off limits. There is a difference between being critical and being petulant. While Lewis may have been out of line in his interview about Trump, Trump was equally out of line in his Twitter rant. He also wildly embellished Lewis's "falling apart" district, but that is typical of him.

I also expect the highest office in our country to hold themselves to a higher standard when it comes to dignity. So my expectations of a president-elects response to criticism is higher than that of a congressman.

I get that he was a Civil Rights hero, but does that mean no one can call him out today for being a raging partisan asshole and Democratic Party attack dog?
I don't think that's the issue. I respect what Rep. Lewis did for the civil rights movement; but, he's just another run of the mill, lifelong politician. That said, Trump didn't call him out for being a raging partisan asshole or Democratic Party attack dog. Trump is routinely petulant on social media and used the wrong words. That said, it becomes more clear every day that that's what he wants. He lives for bombast and hyperbole and just loves to stir up a hornet's nest - just like an insolent child.

Reactions: CommuterBob
#MAGA. I still don't like Trump much but I love what he's doing. There wouldn't be all this faux raging from libs and cons alike if he weren't turning the political cess pool on its head.

#MAGA. I still don't like Trump much but I love what he's doing. There wouldn't be all this faux raging from libs and cons alike if he weren't turning the political cess pool on its head.

You're delusional. He is not turning anything on it's head. He's just making himself look like a petty, overly sensitive idiot. Something you think the "libs" are so guilty of doing. You realize you sit here and make fun of libs whining, yet Trump whines at any sort of criticism.

You're delusional. He is not turning anything on it's head. He's just making himself look like a petty, overly sensitive idiot. Something you think the "libs" are so guilty of doing. You realize you sit here and make fun of libs whining, yet Trump whines at any sort of criticism.

And it's refreshing. Normally Republicans would sit back and let libs call them every name in the book and whine and lie and slander. It's nice to see someone finally fighting back.

I don't think Lewis is off limits. I also don't think he is all talk or representing a crime infested district that is doing horribly either. What did Trump hope to gain by attacking a Civil Rights hero?
Lewis also shouldn't have said he wasn't a legitimate president. People that said that about Obama would have quickly been labeled racist and blasted from all directions

All these replies, yet no "he's black" there ya go

Guy skipped dubya's too, basically Diet Democrat & so's Trump. It's all "me guy" crap

He is not off limits and is a complete joke. Remember this is the same person who claimed he was spat upon and called racists names by the tea party when TV cameras and microphones found no evidence of such a claim.

This is also nothing new for him, he did not go to G W Bush's innaugeration as well stating he to was not legitimately elected. Lewis is nothing more than Al Sharpton that won a gerrymandered district that will never vote republican.

Reactions: 1ofTheseKnights
And it's refreshing. Normally Republicans would sit back and let libs call them every name in the book and whine and lie and slander. It's nice to see someone finally fighting back.
Post explains Trump's rise. Tired of all pvssy & losing. Seriously Bush like neoconservatives ever conserved anything? Rich people got richer, banks bailed out, more wars, gheys married, men in women's bathrooms. Ike'd be proud!

Did you not read the second sentence in BT's post? Pretty sure people called him a racist and was blasted from all directions for those comments. Good job proving BT's point.

I think the racist thing had more to do with saying he wasn't born in the USA but instead, in Africa...

The sentence was written as if it didn't occur, feel free to work that out with BT.
I think he was mostly referring to actual state reps and senators. At the time Trump was just a celebrity businessman. He had no actual power. Had there been any state reps or senators doing what these 50 are doing, they would have been tarred and feathered.

BT, Trump said Obama was not a legitimate president for most of his presidency.
I know this occurred . anyone who questioned Obama or disagreed with him or his polices was said to be racist , I hear it everyday . I'm absolutely not taking a shot at Obama , and I'm not really defending trump for ALL of his comments . But my point stands . We have war heros who get blasted from all sides when they are wrong . Civil rights hero or not Mr Lewis is wrong , arrogant and disrespectful , and not just on this occasion has he done this . He did it with Bush as well ,

I know this occurred . anyone who questioned Obama or disagreed with him or his polices was said to be racist , I hear it everyday . I'm absolutely not taking a shot at Obama , and I'm not really defending trump for ALL of his comments . But my point stands . We have war heros who get blasted from all sides when they are wrong . Civil rights hero or not Mr Lewis is wrong , arrogant and disrespectful , and not just on this occasion has he done this . He did it with Bush as well ,
So Trump spends years saying the President is from Africa and your only comment is you will not defend him. Lewis says Trump is illegitimate and he's wrong, arrogant and disrespectful. Makes sense.

So Trump spends years saying the President is from Africa and your only comment is you will not defend him. Lewis says Trump is illegitimate and he's wrong, arrogant and disrespectful. Makes sense.
You are just trying to start shit. The conversation is about this incident . but whatever . I strongly disagree with John Lewis and his role in the civil rights movement does not insulate him from being wrong.

You are just trying to start shit. The conversation is about this incident . but whatever . I strongly disagree with John Lewis and his role in the civil rights movement does not insulate him from being wrong.
thats all machater02 ever does

He probably won't change but throwing gas on the fire through his Twitter account every single day is a real bad idea & the low starting approval rating shows it. Any good that he accomplishes will get overshadowed by his latest public act of petty back and forth which is going to take its toll with voters.

Reactions: EweSeaEff
Lewis has a history of not respecting presidents not from his party.

Reactions: Knight_Light
He probably won't change but throwing gas on the fire through his Twitter account every single day is a real bad idea & the low starting approval rating shows it. Any good that he accomplishes will get overshadowed by his latest public act of petty back and forth which is going to take its toll with voters.
Now, there is absolutely no reason to bring truth and rational thought into this thread.

Reactions: Poolside Knight

You're assuming any good he does would be covered positively by the media. Any conservative/Republican could cure cancer and the liberal media will say they are racist homophobes for not curing AIDS.

You all hate the truth. Let me know when you strongly disagree with Trump saying the first black president was from Africa

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT