ADVERTISEMENT

Why is my Household Armed?

sk8knight

Diamond Knight
Gold Member
Jun 23, 2001
Tonight is a perfect example of why my household is armed. I’m getting ready for bed when I hear pop, pop, pop. Sounded like 16 .22 shots but they could be a nail gun, maybe. I mean, I shoot .22 at the range all the time and that’s what it sounded like but you don’t want to instantly assume the worst, you know. I text my wife (you may know she is a LEO for a different city and on shift right now) and she confirms that the local PD is responding to a shooting right behind my back fence. Which, at the moment has a full section down and the shooter was last reported running towards my back yard. My house. Where my 18-month-old beautiful baby boy is peacefully sleeping.

Mind you, I live in a gated community with million dollar waterfront homes. My house isn’t that big but it is a good house nonetheless. You wouldn’t expect to encounter a shooter running from a shooting using your back yard to escape. But it happened tonight.

Luckily for me, and the anonymous bad guy, someone thinks they saw him getting into the passenger side of a car that left the premises. One thing is certain though, it would’ve been a bad scene had this person entered my house. This is why I have an armed household. The police showed up 5-10 minutes after the gunshots, as you’d expect. The suspect seems to be long gone. I can see the local PD from my bedroom window as they are processing the crime scene. They’ve found .22 caliber casings (prize to me for the recognition, I guess). Poor CID guy got called out. Hopefully he’s getting overtime. Hopefully they find this asshole.

As an aside, the fence is owned by the HOA and has been down for months. We’ve been back and forth with the HOA about it. I texted the HOA president tonight and he said that it should be replaced in the next 30 days. Might have to send my wife to the next HOA meeting with her filter disengaged.

that is a very good question that ft worth police should be asking
Given that officer’s actions, I guess it could’ve happened last night or any other night as well. I’d like to think that I can interact with LEOs in a way so as not to imply a threat, but they’re human too and bad things can happen. Worst comes to worst, there’s at least a lawsuit and a settlement

Sk8night never mentioned his race, his wife's race, the suspects race or his neighborhood racial make up, yet your contribution is a racial meme. That's the world you live in.
Which part of it was factually incorrect?

We need more tranquilizers. Then if you make a mistake you don't kill them. ;)
Have you ever fired a tranq dart? If you can guarantee me that thing will fly true and get through the clothing and act fast enough that it instantly eliminates the threat, then I’ll certainly entertain that alternative. The clothing problem is an issue with tasers as well. If the prongs don’t embed into the skin the taser is worthless.

Given that officer’s actions, I guess it could’ve happened last night or any other night as well. I’d like to think that I can interact with LEOs in a way so as not to imply a threat, but they’re human too and bad things can happen. Worst comes to worst, there’s at least a lawsuit and a settlement
given that the officer yelled the command and immediately fired, are you sure youd have to even interact with the leo?

i hope that cop is immediately killed once in prison.

given that the officer yelled the command and immediately fired, are you sure youd have to even interact with the leo?

i hope that cop is immediately killed once in prison.
Nope, with what we know currently, it sure seems crazy. The PD did the right thing by arresting the officer and I will be interested to see, if this goes to trial, what in the world was going through that officer's head. I don't like the way the Mayor came over the top grandstanding. He could've simply said this was a very tragic incident, the officer has been arrested and charged, and the justice process will progress. Coming out as strongly as he did, and IIRC saying that the victim's family will get justice for the criminal act, is not the action that a leader of a community or at city where he is the leader of the police force should take. You can be supportive of the family without stirring up emotions.

I don't like the way the Mayor came over the top grandstanding. He could've simply said this was a very tragic incident, the officer has been arrested and charged, and the justice process will progress.

Coming out as strongly as he did, and IIRC saying that the victim's family will get justice for the criminal act, is not the action that a leader of a community or at city where he is the leader of the police force should take. You can be supportive of the family without stirring up emotions.
I didn't hear the Mayor so I can't comment -- but I assume you were correct. But I did hear the Police Chief and he was a very different story,

He was visibly distraught but very poised and articulate and said that this death was a blow to every professional on the force and essentially erased all the community building the department had been doing. He said they'd have to start all over from scratch.

it was one of the best responses from a Police Chief that I've ever heard when dealing with a community tragedy like this one.

https://www.foxnews.com/us/florida-pregnant-woman-ar-15-burglary

This is why you arm yourself. You dont need 50 guns but one is more than a criminal is ever counting on.
That story is so suspicious. There seems to be some missing details. They randomly break in and start pistol whipping the dude, but as soon as they see his wife they fire at her? She grabs an AR-15, that they have for "protection," and just starts firing. There must be drugs involved here somewhere. That lady could have killed her whole family if it really went down that way.

I'll wait for the police to say that there never was a second gunman or this was a meth lab or whatever.

This is why you arm yourself. You dont need 50 guns but one is more than a criminal is ever counting on.
Damn straight!!! [thumb2]

Unless you are a Black woman alone with your young nephew and hear noises outside your home late at night.

Damn straight!!! [thumb2]

Unless you are a Black woman alone with your young nephew and hear noises outside your home late at night.
... or if you are a suburban white woman in Minneapolis innocently approaching the police in her pajamas after calling them to investigate suspicious behavior.

Reactions: UCFWayne
... or if you are a suburban white woman in Minneapolis innocently approaching the police in her pajamas after calling them to investigate suspicious behavior.

So to summarize, this 'defending your home with a gun' business works best when you live in a gated Florida community with million dollar homes. You can feel like a big man without much risk of a cop accidentally shooting you.

ADVERTISEMENT