ADVERTISEMENT

Why is recruiting so terrible???

No one is getting anxiety about UCF Football in June . I'm(and Ace) are just pointing out the recruiting results from the Offensive staff so far. It's a message board, people should be allowed to ask questions and to not be a full homer.

Nobody is trying to shut down input and questioning the new coaching regime. However, I don’t think any of my responses are not true. There’s just not a lot of evidence of anything going wrong with recruiting at this time other than JH getting totally screwed over during the early signing period last year.

100% agree that JH hasn't proven himself yet but its too early to judge. For a "G5" program, at this time, our 2019 class is really ok. I guess you could say Memphis and Boise State are killing it but they only have 2 or 3 recruits so the sample is too small to judge, their averages (for whatever rankings are worth) will come down with more recruits, and we shouldn't expect to have any idea of how things will play out until a couple months from now. Even then we'll all be hoping for last minute flips!

On the other hand, news is slow so I don't mind arguing about all this for at least a few days.

Reactions: Mikesi
I guess the next news dump might be the 15th-22nd when we have a lot of camps. Then we can get really heated.

100% agree that JH hasn't proven himself yet but its too early to judge. For a "G5" program, at this time, our 2019 class is really ok. I guess you could say Memphis and Boise State are killing it but they only have 2 or 3 recruits so the sample is too small to judge, their averages (for whatever rankings are worth) will come down with more recruits, and we shouldn't expect to have any idea of how things will play out until a couple months from now. Even then we'll all be hoping for last minute flips!

On the other hand, news is slow so I don't mind arguing about all this for at least a few days.
Memphis steals the #9 DE overall out of Bradenton and Boise steals the #4 pro style qb overall out of CA? Something tells me both won’t stick

It's probably natural for a lot of players to have at least some concern about a new head coach who has not held that position before. And most players do not commit this early anyway...especially not to a program that isn't considered an elite name.

However, the offers and visitors that UCF has had recently have one thing in common...almost all have legitimate offers from multiple "Power" 5 teams.

Reactions: firm_bizzle
The Offensive coaching staff hasn't landed one impressive offer list recruit yet. And I don't buy the 'scared of playing time' excuse that is going to get thrown out. Pass is given for the end of the last class but we'll see how it goes in this cycle. I'm talking Marlon Williams type recruits who was once a Southern Cal commit with a few ACC/SEC offers. Not the GOL UCF and 1 other offer type guys.
I understand the concern here, but typically guys at the level of a Marlon Williams do not commit until the very last minute, especially if the commitment will be to a G5 school. Even so, the relationship necessary for them to flip to the G5 is usually cultivated for several months, including at least one visit to campus.

Heupel did not not have a chance to develop such relationships in the past cycle. He even had less of a chance than Frost had in Frost's first year, because Heupel spent all of the December recruiting period saving existing recruits. Then came the Holiday dead period. At least Frost was able to have several weeks in December to begin developing relationships.

With that said, Heupel did bring on board two impressive offensive recruits by the February signing period. Lemarious Benson (6'3", 330 lbs., OL) was a South Carolina recruit (SEC) and we were able to flip his commitment just before the signing deadline.

Also, Ke'Von Ahmad, (WR, 6'1", 185 lbs., 4.3 40 yds) had offers from TCU, Baylor, Vanderbilt, Northwestern & Louisville, all Power 5 programs, but chose to play for Heupel & UCF. He was not a Frost era recruit. I agree that Marlon was a great find for us. But Ahmad is as well. Note that Ahmad's 247 Sports rating is .8842, as compared to Marlon Williams' .8616.

Thus, I think that under the circumstances, Heupel has earned respect for accomplishing good recruiting under very challenging circumstances in the last cycle.

As for the current cycle, Heupel has done about as well as Frost was doing at this time last year. I think at this time last year, we only had two recruits, one of whom was a safety who ultimately decommitted.

Just like everyone else here, I do wait with much interest to see who else will sign on to become a Knight in this cycle. Yet, I also feel that if we want to have good coaches who want to remain here long term, we must be as appropriately patient and supportive as we are appropriately critical. Heupel has already earned some respect and patience.

Last edited:
Yet, I also feel that if we want to have good coaches who want to remain here long term, we must be as appropriately patient and supportive as we are appropriately critical. Heupel has already earned some respect and patience.
I hear you, but we just won a national championship. Alabama, who is in the same boat as us in this regard, has thirteen 4* recruits. So I don't think I'm being unreasonable to expect the current staff to have at least seven 4* recruits by now.

I hear you, but we just won a national championship. Alabama, who is in the same boat as us in this regard, has thirteen 4* recruits. So I don't think I'm being unreasonable to expect the current staff to have at least seven 4* recruits by now.
This is ridiculous. We are NOT Alabama.

Why would the UNDEFEATED national champs not be expected to have more recruits and better recruits?

980x.jpg

Reactions: firm_bizzle

Yeah but a lot of recruits are waiting to see how Hype does in game action - if they like what they see, we will get the players we need

Reactions: KnightLife1

Oh boy. First of all UCF isnt in the same boat as Alabama ror myriad reasons. You cant just expect immediate results. Saban is one of the top 10 coaches all time in college football and Heupel is a first year coach. Secondly, fair or not, you have to recognize that the P5 have a serious advantage over other schools im recruiting. If you were talking about vandy or wake forest then its probably a concern but you cant look at alabama and say "we are on the same level as them". That takes time. Hell, even P5 teams like GaTech reached the pinnacle of success and didnt see immediate or even long term results from it.

Seriously, stop being concerned with heupels recruiting abilities until it becomes clear that he cant compete with the elites, snd even then take it at face value.

Oh boy. First of all UCF isnt in the same boat as Alabama ror myriad reasons. You cant just expect immediate results. Saban is one of the top 10 coaches all time in college football and Heupel is a first year coach. Secondly, fair or not, you have to recognize that the P5 have a serious advantage over other schools im recruiting. If you were talking about vandy or wake forest then its probably a concern but you cant look at alabama and say "we are on the same level as them". That takes time. Hell, even P5 teams like GaTech reached the pinnacle of success and didnt see immediate or even long term results from it.

Seriously, stop being concerned with heupels recruiting abilities until it becomes clear that he cant compete with the elites, snd even then take it at face value.
I don’t think that the above posters were being serious when comparing our recruiting to Alabama’s. Were they? :flushed:

I guess I don't post enough anymore for people to just assume I'm sarcastic in all my posts.

Sorry i missed that. There was enough "the sky is falling" posts prior to yours that I thought you were serious.

Well played.

Interesting that Frost is outrecruiting Chip Kelly his mentor so far. UCLA doesn't have 1 verbal commitment yet. I'm a big 'location guy' but I've noticed lately with the current recruits that it may not carry as much weight as the Coach's and assistants personalities and how they connect with the Recruits. That is something Taggart is one of the best at and Frost(or maybe Walters is the secret weapon here) might not be far behind.

I'm a big 'location guy' but I've noticed lately with the current recruits that it may not carry as much weight as the Coach's and assistants personalities and how they connect with the Recruits. That is something Taggart is one of the best at and Frost(or maybe Walters is the secret weapon here) might not be far behind.
I think this has been more and more the case with the explosion of social media use in recruiting.

Interesting that Frost is outrecruiting Chip Kelly his mentor so far. UCLA doesn't have 1 verbal commitment yet. I'm a big 'location guy' but I've noticed lately with the current recruits that it may not carry as much weight as the Coach's and assistants personalities and how they connect with the Recruits. That is something Taggart is one of the best at and Frost(or maybe Walters is the secret weapon here) might not be far behind.

Dont get ahead of yourself. Frost is recruiting about at the same level as any husker coach has since 2006. High 20s low 30s is par for the course in Lincoln. I think hes doing well but who knows until 3 or 4 years pass

Forgetting about the P5 schools, has anyone noticed Memphis??? They’re kicking ass compared to us with some quality commits and graduate transfers. And Houston?!? Even Cinci is doing ok. Who went 13-0 and spit in the face of college football? I’m always positive about our recruiting but I’m a little unsettled watching our conference mates. Sorry but we aren’t kicking ass, most certainly not for having the year we did. Just saying...

Forgetting about the P5 schools, has anyone noticed Memphis??? They’re kicking ass compared to us with some quality commits and graduate transfers. And Houston?!? Even Cinci is doing ok. Who went 13-0 and spit in the face of college football? I’m always positive about our recruiting but I’m a little unsettled watching our conference mates. Sorry but we aren’t kicking ass, most certainly not for having the year we did. Just saying...
It’s great what Memphis and Houston are doing in the West. It’s going to take a while before Cincy competes. Our biggest obstacle is USF right not because they have athletes and a proven coach. I’m okay with a 4 competitive team league.

Couldn't agree more. I know it's early in the recruiting cycle and our coaches are just getting their feet under them but recruiting is worrying me right now. Seeing the kids we currently have committed as well as the kids who put us in their "Top X" on social media we're definitely not recruiting at a high level right now. Lack luster 2 star recruits with pretty terrible offer lists. Heupel and Shannon need to pick it up and be more selective with the commitments we're accepting.

Reactions: Poolside Knight
be prepared for spin. I want to be wrong and hopefully it's just a slow start but I am concerned about Heup and the entire offensive staff recruiting. I think Candle or Norvell at UCF would have started off much quicker on the Recruiting Trail.

Does anyone really expect an upturn in recruiting before Heupel coaches his first game? If so do you really think that is valid? With every publication in the country saying that Frost was the magic man and JH not ever having been a head coach in his life? Many recruits are sitting back and waiting to see what happens, especially those with other good offers. If we produce on the field you will see recruiting take off. If not then we will be back where we have always been.

Reactions: Mikesi
The sky is falling. Danny White hired a bum and we are going 0-12 because we don’t have a top-20-30 recruiting class full of 4 and 5-star overachievers from outside of Florida in June

Additionally, we need to start panicking and thinking about ditching UCF as our team and start following a perennial powerhouse like Nobraska.

Why? Because Memphis is out recruiting us.
You know, that team that we’ve beaten like 11 times in a row.

Couldn't agree more. I know it's early in the recruiting cycle and our coaches are just getting their feet under them but recruiting is worrying me right now. Seeing the kids we currently have committed as well as the kids who put us in their "Top X" on social media we're definitely not recruiting at a high level right now. Lack luster 2 star recruits with pretty terrible offer lists. Heupel and Shannon need to pick it up and be more selective with the commitments we're accepting.
How many 5 stars Did O’Leary get after our Fiesta Bowl Victory?

How many 5 stars Did O’Leary get after our Fiesta Bowl Victory?
Who’s talking 5-stars? We should have classes regularly filled with 3-stars and the occasional 4-star or two. O’Leary wanting to retire and not capitalizing on our fiesta bowl victory, in terms of recruiting, was a huge part in why we went 0-12. With all the momentum UCF has right now we should not be be accepting commitments from lowly 2-stars in June. Especially 5’9 WR’s.

I said I know it’s early and I’m hoping the coaching staff picks it up. But right now Heupel isn’t giving me confidence in his recruiting abilities. Frost was able to build hype and recruit well after an 0-12 season. You’d expect more hype coming off an undefeated season but it seems like somehow there’s less. Again, it’s early and I’m willing to give Heupel/Shannon the benefit of the doubt but I’m well within my rights to have concerns right now.

Reactions: Poolside Knight
Who’s talking 5-stars? We should have classes regularly filled with 3-stars and the occasional 4-star or two. O’Leary wanting to retire and not capitalizing on our fiesta bowl victory, in terms of recruiting, was a huge part in why we went 0-12. With all the momentum UCF has right now we should not be be accepting commitments from lowly 2-stars in June. Especially 5’9 WR’s.

I said I know it’s early and I’m hoping the coaching staff picks it up. But right now Heupel isn’t giving me confidence in his recruiting abilities. Frost was able to build hype and recruit well after an 0-12 season. You’d expect more hype coming off an undefeated season but it seems like somehow there’s less. Again, it’s early and I’m willing to give Heupel/Shannon the benefit of the doubt but I’m well within my rights to have concerns right now.
I’m almost ready to fire.

People were concerned right when he took over too but the class we landed wasn’t terrible. The coaches don’t look at stars before they offer scholarships. They look at athletes and see how they’d fit. He must fit a coaches scheme. 5’9” doesn’t mean much to me if he can get open. How tall is AK?

Still not convinced I should be worried. It's too early and recruits haven't even seen us play 1 snap. I don't blame them for taking their time.
Correct me if I'm wrong but recruits aren't signing letters of intent or enrolling any time soon.

Early signing period: 12/19 - 12/21

If I was thinking about playing for UCF I might wait until the season started too.

AND JH and RS aren't getting fired before this season so y'all just have to let this play out. Sit back and try to take it easy. If you want to help, create a Twitter account and engage with recruits a little bit. There's plenty of time before we need to light up the fire emojis.

Still not convinced I should be worried. It's too early and recruits haven't even seen us play 1 snap. I don't blame them for taking their time.
Correct me if I'm wrong but recruits aren't signing letters of intent or enrolling any time soon.

Early signing period: 12/19 - 12/21

If I was thinking about playing for UCF I might wait until the season started too.

AND JH and RS aren't getting fired before this season so y'all just have to let this play out. Sit back and try to take it easy. If you want to help, create a Twitter account and engage with recruits a little bit. There's plenty of time before we need to light up the fire emojis.

I'll be ready :fire::fire::fire:

Reactions: Wings0fred

Hype’s first class had 1 2 star per 247 composite. Frost had 2 2 stars in each of his recruiting classes. UCF has always had a few 2 stars and mostly 3s.

Additionally, we need to start panicking and thinking about ditching UCF as our team and start following a perennial powerhouse like Nobraska.

Why? Because Memphis is out recruiting us.
You know, that team that we’ve beaten like 11 times in a row.
Memphis has had 2 good seasons in the row and pushed UCF to overtime in our stadium in the Conference Championship game even with all their injuries. Norvell is a good coach. It's not like we have a massive talent advantage over them, Houston, or USF. I wonder if Houston fans were this cocky when Herman left

Agree with all of this.

It's not about only the current commit list or lack there of, there's no buzz that most of the the UCF/State of FL affiliated recruiting accounts would have caught wind of offensive targets leaning UCF's way. Randy Shannon will get decent prospects but it seems like Heup's side of recruiting is aiming for low 2 star Cusa tier players.

Reactions: BigXIIOrBust
Memphis has had 2 good seasons in the row and pushed UCF to overtime in our stadium in the Conference Championship game even with all their injuries. Norvell is a good coach. It's not like we have a massive talent advantage over them, Houston, or USF. I wonder if Houston fans were this cocky when Herman left
So.., what you are saying is that Memphis SHOULD BE out recruiting UCF

So.. you’re saying In one argument that Heupel is basically recruiting like crap and in this argument you’re saying that talented Memphis with 2 winning seasons and a great returning coach should be out recruiting us

Which one is it?

ADVERTISEMENT