ADVERTISEMENT

Why is recruiting so terrible???

At this time, there is absolutely no evidence that our new coach with no head coaching experience is recruiting worse than expected

It’s way too early. Give the guy a chance. What are we going to do, fire him over this or be a bunch of Debbie Downers for months?

Give him one successful season as a head coach and an announcement that he’ll be back in 2019, and highly ranked recruits will be all over UCF.

It’s way too early to judge. Give the guy a damn chance

Mike spazzing out ITT with hyperbole reminds me of when posters would suggest that there was a chance Frost would leave to Nebraska or elsewhere and he kept E-Screaming that Frost was going nowhere over and over then ofcourse being wrong.

Every fanbase is going to evaluate their New Head Coach from Day 1 to present day and not be a complete homer about it

Reactions: Spectrumalaska
Amari Johnson is probably a decent recruit. His team won the 7 on 7 at UCF and another down in Miami this week. I'm also sure that part of us offering him was so Nayquan Wright (spelling?) or others from there will consider us.

I realize this is not the most popular recruiting strategy but having friends and former teammates here could push a recruit who already likes us to go ahead and commit.

Mike spazzing out ITT with hyperbole reminds me of when posters would suggest that there was a chance Frost would leave to Nebraska or elsewhere and he kept E-Screaming that Frost was going nowhere over and over then ofcourse being wrong.
Is that all that you have? Trying to get under my skin and rehash old posts to prove a point and diverting from the argument at hand?

Maybe we should all dig up your dozens of posts that showed YOU POOLSiDE screaming that Frost would never leave UCF because of his love affair with the way of life in Orlando and more precisely Winter Park and his wife’s love of the warm weather being from Scottsdale and her high class style of living vs the Hell of Lincoln, Nebraska.

Additionally, touting the winning culture of UCF, it’s bright future vs the irrelevancy that Nobraska has become with its glory years in the distant past

You have as many posts that were proven to be as wrong as anybody

The only difference is that you are not a true UCF fan and can’t give up your blind love affair with Frost enough to embrace our new coach and actually give him a chance

Maybe you should become a Nobraska fan since you have been nothing but bashing Heupel from Day 1 in a completely baseless manner.

Next time you track a Frost visit to Orlando, maybe you guys can hook up

Its one thing being a homer and quite another thing to be in full panic mode about recruiting in June about a 1st year coach with no head coaching experience

I hear Toledo and Candle are looking for new fans as well. That was your choice, but I believe in Danny White.

It’s so blatantly obvious that you’re a Frost guy, but he’s not walking back through that door, so what’s your point? Are you a UCF fan or a Frost fan?

Last edited:
I thought if he left it would be to the Pac12 with a small chance at UF instead of Nebraska. And my soundoff posts back that up.

More of a true fan than you meatball. Typical T Shirt Fan screaming to go root for someone else bc someone dares to disagree with you.

Last edited:
Reactions: Spectrumalaska
Forgetting about the P5 schools, has anyone noticed Memphis??? They’re kicking ass compared to us with some quality commits and graduate transfers. And Houston?!? Even Cinci is doing ok. Who went 13-0 and spit in the face of college football? I’m always positive about our recruiting but I’m a little unsettled watching our conference mates. Sorry but we aren’t kicking ass, most certainly not for having the year we did. Just saying...
Part of our challenge is that we have guys starting that were only freshmen or sophs last year. The waiting line is much longer for many positions. Many of our conference mates have more immediate or near term availability.

More of a true fan than you meatball. Typical T Shirt Fan screaming to go root for someone else
Meatball??? T-Shirt fan? How many games have you attended in the last 10 years? How many will you attend in 2018?

From Heupel bashing, to the negative recruiting anxiety attack’s, to the Shannon negativity, to Frost comparisons, to blaming Otis leaving on Heupel (that was overblown), to the new coaching support staff being blah, and I’m the T-Shirt fan?

Are you even a fan anymore?

I thought if he left it would be to the Pac12 with a small chance at UF instead of Nebraska. And my soundoff posts back that up.

More of a true fan than you meatball. Typical T Shirt Fan screaming to go root for someone else bc someone dares to disagree with you.

C'mon guys, Poolside & Mikesi, hands down you're both awesome and loyal Knight fans. We've all been wrong before so no need to dispute that.

We finally have an awesome team that the nation is fully aware of. Let's all enjoy it and our future Knight domination. #KnightLove

Meatball??? T-Shirt fan? How many games have you attended in the last 10 years? How many will you attend in 2018?

From Heupel bashing, to the negative recruiting anxiety attack’s, to the Shannon negativity, to Frost comparisons, to blaming Otis leaving on Heupel (that was overblown), to the new coaching support staff being blah, and I’m the T-Shirt fan?

Are you even a fan anymore?
#GetHeuped
#SkipHoltz
#Maction

At this time, there is absolutely no evidence that our new coach with no head coaching experience is recruiting worse than expected

It’s way too early. Give the guy a chance. What are we going to do, fire him over this or be a bunch of Debbie Downers for months?

Give him one successful season as a head coach and an announcement that he’ll be back in 2019, and highly ranked recruits will be all over UCF.

It’s way too early to judge. Give the guy a damn chance

I’ve already been to Home Depot and stocked up on tiki torches.

I’ll just come out and say it, he’s recruiting like crap. There is no buzz around our program in recruiting circles at all right now. 13-0 has been completely wasted. And I don’t blame Heupel for that.

But at the same time, recruits can YouTube Heupel’s offense and know it’s dynamic and they still aren’t committing. It doesn’t matter if he hasn’t coached, Frost hadn’t coached and he killed it recruiting his first year. That shows a lack of salesmanship.

I’m just a little pissed about this. Frost was everything this University needed. Up-tempo modern offense, flashy branding, new uniforms and culture in the program and it appears completely gone.

I’m trying to be patient and trust Danny White, but 4 recruits at this point with a QB who couldn’t start at his transfer school isn’t inspring confidence. While our rivals who didn’t go 13-0 are out recruiting us.

And yes, this is what I was worried about with Heupel. He may be a great coach, he seems like a nice guy, but the word about him from Oklahoma guys was that he’s not a great recruiter and right now that’s holding true.

I’ll just come out and say it, he’s recruiting like crap. There is no buzz around our program in recruiting circles at all right now. 13-0 has been completely wasted. And I don’t blame Heupel for that.

But at the same time, recruits can YouTube Heupel’s offense and know it’s dynamic and they still aren’t committing. It doesn’t matter if he hasn’t coached, Frost hadn’t coached and he killed it recruiting his first year. That shows a lack of salesmanship.

I’m just a little pissed about this. Frost was everything this University needed. Up-tempo modern offense, flashy branding, new uniforms and culture in the program and it appears completely gone.

I’m trying to be patient and trust Danny White, but 4 recruits at this point with a QB who couldn’t start at his transfer school isn’t inspring confidence. While our rivals who didn’t go 13-0 are out recruiting us.

And yes, this is what I was worried about with Heupel. He may be a great coach, he seems like a nice guy, but the word about him from Oklahoma guys was that he’s not a great recruiter and right now that’s holding true.
I understand what you’re saying, but I’ll wait until we start losing games that we should be winning before I make my judgement. Additionally, if we are 60-70th in the nation come NSD, I’ll worry as this program has proven success by coaching up players that are 2-3 stars over the years and with recruiting classes from 40-65 ranked nationally

Reactions: Crazyhole
Deal with it people. This is what having a new coach means....and new staff....and new nutrition people...and new strength and conditioning...and new janitors....new water boys...at a non-P5 program. We got poached of the majority of our program and not just a couple of coaches. Hype has to establish new relationships with all the HS coaches and players. Frost came from Oregon, and was well known by most recruits for how dynamic that team was (offensively). I don’t think kids would know anything about Hype, as he was st Mizzou and they got no airtime on TV for the last few seasons. The staff just has to target the kids that fit thier needs and hope it all comes together (with a lot of hard work). We’ve got a great culture (and let’s be honest, a Heisman caliber QB) so let’s just see what we look like on the field before we crucify the staff for our commits so far...and wait to see what the class looks like in December. I think a better on-paper assessment could be made then. MM was a 3-star recruit. Bottles was a 2-star recruit. Hype has been doing a good job developing players at that position for a while, and that is the most important position in the field.

It’s all just another opportunity to prove the pundits wrong.

Last edited:
An unranked OL with one other offer from western Kentucky...really stellar recruiting so far
Likely to be the next great UCF offensive lineman. Underachievers usually are. At 6’5” 300lbs, he has all the size to be a stud. However, Rivals and 24/7 are rarely wrong, so I can see your point. :grimace:

#hyperboleking

Last edited:
I don’t worry about recruiting as much anymore after we basically won a NC with a low rated stud undersized QB, one-handed superstar LB that nobody wanted, baseball player/WR turned TE, transfer 1sr round NFL talent CB, etc.. etc, etc.

Who did we beat in the Peach Bowl? An Auburn team with bunch of 4 and 5 stars year after year.

I think that we will live with a few lower rated guys in May and June coming to a team loaded with talent. Coach them up. They are probably Heupel targets anyway and their ranking is irrelevant.

Look how FSU did without their top QB. We have one, so we will be fine. If he gets hurt, like most other teams. We are completely screwed.

Beat out Georgia State and Southern Miss!*
giphy.gif

It wouldn’t surprise me one bit if Southern Mississippi and Georgia Southern are curb stomping us right now in recruiting. As long as we aren’t playing either of them this year, we should be OK.

Reactions: LemmyKilmister
Still think its too early but since we've been talking about it I went ahead and read up on how Memphis and USF are doing. USF is worse off than us but Memphis definitely seems better off. Of course the coaching change is the most significant and obvious reason. I agree with the comments above that we've done well with lowly ranked recruits and at the same time acknowledge these ranking are right more often than wrong.

Hopefully we catch up a bit and maybe we dont get the big OL or DL stars we want but maybe those "warm" WRs and LBs will come our way. Crossing my fingers for the LBs especially but I think those young WRs could help keep the offense humming. I think that Jaden Kent is super underrated. 6'4", big/long target who can out-reach elite corners, and a multisport athlete so he could have a ton of upside. Even if he's slow and has no moves, no 5'10" corner is going to be able to stop him.

You guys crack my shit up. Just get done winning a national title with a bunch of 2 and 3 star guys and NOW you're worried about recruiting? My huskers have outrecruited UCF pretty much every year for ever and what has it mattered? I'd take an undefeated team made up of a bunch of 2 and 3 stars over a 4-8 team built on a bunch of 4 star primadonnas that don't like lifting weights and tackling.

You guys crack my shit up. Just get done winning a national title with a bunch of 2 and 3 star guys and NOW you're worried about recruiting? My huskers have outrecruited UCF pretty much every year for ever and what has it mattered? I'd take an undefeated team made up of a bunch of 2 and 3 stars over a 4-8 team built on a bunch of 4 star primadonnas that don't like lifting weights and tackling.
I never get upset with recruiting. Maybe if we miss out on 1 guy I really wanted but most of us don’t ever see these guys in person till they hit our campus. Sometimes a 2 Star who really wants to be here and bleeds black and gold is better than say Hamilton, Richardson and Greene who think they should be handed starting roles.

I never get upset with recruiting. Maybe if we miss out on 1 guy I really wanted but most of us don’t ever see these guys in person till they hit our campus. Sometimes a 2 Star who really wants to be here and bleeds black and gold is better than say Hamilton, Richardson and Greene who think they should be handed starting roles.
Strongly agree with this. I'm not a fb coach but I think players who want to come to UCF would be some of the best we could get. There's a young RB at Mt Dora who's brother (i think) played for us named Isayah Hatter. He comments on UCF Football social media and says he wants to play here. A guy like that will play harder than others and, if he commits, he saves the coaches time that they could spend recruiting other players.

It’s all about heart, coaching, motivation and drive. The desire to be the best player that you can be and are willing to work for it. Humble and hungry.

Yes.., talent is very, very important, but I’m not sure if we can say yet for sure that most or all of our recruits for 2019 aren’t talented. They aren’t highly rated, but what really does that mean? It’s so hard to judge some positions, based on rating, especially on the offensive line. QB ratings are more accurate

We definitely need to step it up at QB, defensive line, and LB. it would be nice to have more numbers on the defensive line and LB, but we need just 1 really good recruit at QB. I still think that recruits at that position are scared off by Milton. That should change in 2019 and 2020.

There was a still way more recruiting to do for next year.

So.. we have 4 major colleges with established coaches who are great recruiters within 200 miles of us. Then we have Florida State with a coach with local recruiting ties. Then we have Nobraska with a slew of coaches with local recruiting ties for 1 more year at least

We have a new coach with no local recruiting ties. He’s trying to lure recruits out of the Midwest where he has been for a few years

How is he possibly going to compete in Florida this year or lure 3-4 star recruits out of Texas and Oklahoma? Most kids from that part of the country are going to look at Texas, Oklahoma, Oklahoma St., Houston, SMU, and even Memphis first.

We are a G5 school (or P6) with a 13-0 record for 1 year. We have a new coach. What are we expecting here??

Reactions: Crazyhole
It’s June. The only guys who are likely to commit so early are lower rated who want to lock in a committable offer. The higher rated players generally want to explore all offers and take their visits. Only 4 of the 20 signees last year committed prior to July and only 6 prior to October. And these were generally the lower rated recruits.

Frosts final recruiting class here had 4 commits on June 17th. Otis Anderson who was a .84 rating, 2 .80 rated players and a .79 (2 star). Heupel currently has 6 commits with a better average rating.

Last edited:
I'm not the type who gets upset when we do poorly anyway but after yesterday (unranked OLs and LB signing with USF) I am bracing myself a little bit for a subpar recruit class. At the same time we still have a long way before the season begins and the early signing period so there's a lot of time for the coaches to make the most of this class.

It’s June. The only guys who are likely to commit so early are lower rated who want to lock in a committable offer. The higher rated players generally want to explore all offers and take their visits. Only 4 of the 20 signees last year committed prior to July and only 6 prior to October. And these were generally the lower rated recruits.

Frosts final recruiting class here had 4 commits on June 17th. Otis Anderson who was a .84 rating, 2 .80 rated players and a .79 (2 star). Heupel currently has 6 commits with a better average rating.
Thank you for this contribution. This is the first time I've payed this much attention to recruiting so I have limited perspective. Please continue to share info like this.

Reactions: Mikesi
I'm not the type who gets upset when we do poorly anyway but after yesterday (unranked OLs and LB signing with USF) I am bracing myself a little bit for a subpar recruit class. At the same time we still have a long way before the season begins and the early signing period so there's a lot of time for the coaches to make the most of this class.
It will also help once we start playing, and hopefully continuing to win games. The UNC and Pitt games are going to be a bump for recruiting if we win them. Kids don't really know if we are going to look the same until they see us play. If we look similar, then they'll be more likely to commit.

Reactions: Knight Strength
It will also help once we start playing, and hopefully continuing to win games. The UNC and Pitt games are going to be a bump for recruiting if we win them. Kids don't really know if we are going to look the same until they see us play. If we look similar, then they'll be more likely to commit.
100% agree with this. Hopefully we kick ass so hard we can pull off some big flips.

Thank you for this contribution. This is the first time I've payed this much attention to recruiting so I have limited perspective. Please continue to share info like this.
It’s pretty much a soap opera. These kids just want followers on Twitter so they string all the fans along. Not much matters till December.

It's a little fun that we like to do each off season. Complain about recruits and coaches.

So.. we have 4 major colleges with established coaches who are great recruiters within 200 miles of us. Then we have Florida State with a coach with local recruiting ties. Then we have Nobraska with a slew of coaches with local recruiting ties for 1 more year at least

We have a new coach with no local recruiting ties. He’s trying to lure recruits out of the Midwest where he has been for a few years

How is he possibly going to compete in Florida this year or lure 3-4 star recruits out of Texas and Oklahoma? Most kids from that part of the country are going to look at Texas, Oklahoma, Oklahoma St., Houston, SMU, and even Memphis first.

We are a G5 school (or P6) with a 13-0 record for 1 year. We have a new coach. What are we expecting here??

I'm not sure I'm comfortable with the rational version of Mikesi.

Reactions: Mikesi

I'm expecting them to step their game up or GTFOOH! If they want to make excuses they can coach at Marshall.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT