ADVERTISEMENT

Why is the importance of Premium Seating instead of stadium size misunderstood?

UCFhonors

Todd's Tiki Bar
Feb 20, 2010
It's math. And math doesn't care about your UCFeelings.

I remember having a private meeting with Todd Stansbury. AD 2012-15. I was shocked to hear that majority of the stadium venue came from the minority of premium seating. Then he broke down the math. I am not privy to release those numbers. But remember the 80/20 rule my UCFriends. 80% of your revenue comes from 20% of your UCFans.

Let's do some basic math.
2 prices
$20 regular seats
$100 premium seats.

Breakeven is 5 regular seats for the price of 1 premium. And it's really not that simple because it costs more to house more people ie parking, security, bathrooms etc. If we have a 50k person stadium I would want 20%, 30% maybe even 45% of seats to be premium seats, to maximize revenue. As long as we aren't putting too high of barrier for new UCFans to go to games, our UCFocus should be premium seating and premium experiences. Again, we are not going to 5x our stadium size to 250,000 seats for regular $20 tickets to get the same revenue that 50k seat stadium with 40% premium seats with $100, $250, and $1,000 seats can bring in.

Remember, on the internet only one things matters. One thing. UCFacts.

#UCFacts

I remember having a private meeting with Todd Stansbury. AD 2012-15. I was shocked to hear that majority of the stadium venue came from the minority of premium seating. Then he broke down the math. I am not privy to release those numbers. But remember the 80/20 rule my UCFriends. 80% of your revenue comes from 20% of your UCFans.

2 prices
$20 regular seats
$100 premium seats.

Breakeven is 5 regular seats for the price of 1 premium. And it's really not that simple because it costs more to house more people ie parking, security, bathrooms etc. If we have a 50k person stadium I would want 20%, 30% maybe even 45% of seats to be premium seats, to maximize revenue. As long as we aren't putting too high of barrier for new UCFans to go to games, our UCFocus should be premium seating and premium experiences. Again, we are not going to 5x our stadium size to 250,000 seats for regular $20 tickets to get the same revenue that 50k seat stadium with 40% premium seats with $100, $250, and $1,000 seats can bring in.

#UCFacts
That's empty bright yellow cabana seats where the ticket holders either don't show up or drink beer underneath the stadium while watching games other than ours on the TVs, making no noise on defense and making us look foolish on TV.

Now that we are going to a major conference and will get more TV money, why do we need to squeeze every cent out of the stadium? Whenever it comes up about Miami (FL) playing in a municipal stadium, it gets automatically said that they don't have to make money on home games because of the TV money. Yes B12 vs ACC, acknowledged, but even so. We are about to be P5.

Some things, like a roaring stadium environment, are perhaps worth more than some extra money. Perhaps its more complicated than "basic math"

I think the real issue is they can only expand in small increments. Might as well make them the expensive seats. If you were going to add 20,00…. Not all could be premium. But they will only expand about 8,000 at a time if that.

That's empty bright yellow cabana seats where the ticket holders either don't show up or drink beer underneath the stadium while watching games other than ours on the TVs, making no noise on defense and making us look foolish on TV.

Now that we are going to a major conference and will get more TV money, why do we need to squeeze every cent out of the stadium? Whenever it comes up about Miami (FL) playing in a municipal stadium, it gets automatically said that they don't have to make money on home games because of the TV money. Yes B12 vs ACC, acknowledged, but even so. We are about to be P5.

Some things, like a roaring stadium environment, are perhaps worth more than some extra money. Perhaps its more complicated than "basic math"
Pitt set a record for a home game last week. It looks good on tv and was loud. Thats better than money.

Good points. I'm sure my UCFriends in the AD consider those things too. Ultimately their jobs are dependent on increasing revenue.

#UCFacts

Reactions: OtterKnight

2 prices
$20 regular seats
$100 premium seats.

#UCFacts

I will always like your posts for your UCFacts and that you don't care to hurt anybody's UCFeelings.

Reactions: UCFhonors
I understand the reasoning of the Cabana given the conference(s) we have been in but there needs to be a transition to being more serious as a fanbase

the cabana is more of what you see at a baseball ballpark that has 81 home games

Reactions: Knight59
I will always like your posts for your UCFacts and that you don't care to hurt anybody's UCFeelings.

Thanks, my UCFriend. It's a tough job. But someone has to do it.

Glad it got recognized in 2018 when I was the Poster of the Year on Soundoff. Every consistent poster there knows about these UCFacts:
2007 to 2017 was UCF's Rise to Prominence.
2018 was the start of UCF's Rise to Dominance.
UCF is building a Lazy River.
Our stadium has actual urinals not pig toughs like Tennessee.

And they constantly hear about UCF's innovations, and how we are taking over the new world of FBS.

#UCFacts

I understand the reasoning of the Cabana given the conference(s) we have been in but there needs to be a transition to being more serious as a fanbase

the cabana is more of what you see at a baseball ballpark that has 81 home games

Can you elaborate on this transition to a more serious UCFanbase?

#UCFacts

2 prices
$20 regular seats
$100 premium seats.

#UCFacts
Nice break down and explanation Doctor :)

2 prices
$20 regular seats
$100 premium seats.

#UCFacts
I still think we should build a retractable dome just for the safety and convenience of the fans and players. With global warming the weather will become even more severe and un-predicable and we don't want to screw up our season with cancellations. If we can't afford it now we should at least try to engineer it as a future addition into any new plans.

ADVERTISEMENT