ADVERTISEMENT

Why UCF dropped to 11th

GeniusParks

Four-Star Recruit
Sep 16, 2006
The AP/Coaches are just trying to match the projected CFP rankings. Yes, UCF dropped from 9 to 11 in those polls, but the good news in the CFP poll is that they'll actually pick up a spot because the committee really doesn't have a choice as most of the teams behind UCF lost. The only 2-loss team I see the committee keeping ahead of UCF is LSU but that's mainly b/c LSU is benefitting from supposedly beating 4 Top 10 teams (we know Auburn and Miami are NOT Top 10 teams), and the reality of the situation is that UGA, UF, UK, LSU are all pretty decent teams but no one is superior to Bama. Also, the fact OU & WVU didn't play any defense negates criticism of UCF v Temple. Plus, one could look at the Bama-LSU game and see that all the defense in the world doesn't amount to a hill of beans if you can't score any points.

1. Bama - It's going to take an offensive minded team to beat them (if they can be beat).
2. Clemson - Dabo knows the game know and they're stepping on everybody's throat. Look for 60+ point games the rest of the way.
3. Notre Dame - I wish FSU could help you guys. But Syracuse might be the last big threat remaining. The problem is that if they were to knock off ND, I suspect a 2-loss Cuse would be in position to go ahead of UCF. Was hoping NW could do the job last night, but they couldn't.
4. Michigan - I still don't trust that offense. We'll see if they're for real when they play Ohio State.
5. Georgia - I guess, but I don't see them having any better luck vs Bama than LSU.
6. Oklahoma - The committee loves the offense. But like UCF, they can't play defense.
7. West Virginia - 1 play to decide the win, but they'll move up here. Also can't play D.
8. Wazzu - In a perfect world they'll lose the Apple Cup to Washington or the PAC-12 Title Game
9. LSU - Would not surprise me if Texas A&M beats them.
10. Ohio State - This team looks weak. Any team that gets blown out by 29 points shouldn't be in the discussion for a playoff spot.
11. UCF - By default. As it stands right now none of the 2 loss teams are better than them. That might change if Cuse beats ND.
12. Kentucky - Cause it's the SEC. Keeping UK ahead of UCF would be stupid on the committee's part.
13. Syracuse 14. NC State. 15. Boston College (rise of the ACC Teams).

That's it for 2 loss teams. LOL, 3-loss Miss St beat up on LA Tech and moved up ahead of Fresno State & Utah State which should be in the CFBP Poll this week. Most 2 loss teams have gotten beat for the 3rd time. So I just don't see how UCF falls below 11.

Reactions: atsKnight
Thank goodness for the sanity of the Colley Marix rankings. UCF moved up from #9 to # 8, and didn't get jumped by anyone because their was no empirical data to support it. USF moved down to #47, but Cincinnati moved up to #21. Wins against Cincy, USF and Houston? could move UCF into the Top 4. That would be the four teams that should legitimately be in a playoff. UCF is still in the hunt for a CM NC depending on how things shake out. Forget about it with the CFI. It's blatantly rigged.

Thank goodness for the sanity of the Colley Marix rankings. UCF moved up from #9 to # 8, and didn't get jumped by anyone because their was no empirical data to support it. USF moved down to #47, but Cincinnati moved up to #21. Wins against Cincy, USF and Houston? could move UCF into the Top 4. That would be the four teams that should legitimately be in a playoff. UCF is still in the hunt for a CM NC depending on how things shake out. Forget about it with the CFI. It's blatantly rigged.

Nah...It's because the coaches don't give a crap when voting, they simply vote themselves high and anyone else in their conference high.

The AP Writers are out of touch, little children who have become glorified shock jocks in this era of social media. They do stupid, outlandish things for clicks, thinking a click somehow translates into an appreciation for their perspective.

This is EXACTLY why they went away from the AP poll and the Media poll determining the National Champion. They have lost all touch with reality and are scrambling to find some way to stay relevant.

We should pay no attention to either of these polls.

Coaches are a week behind. They heard gameday say UCF has played no teams with a winning record. No need to research and see that UCF has now played 3 and 2 of UCF opponents knocked off ranked teams this week.

Coaches are a week behind. They heard gameday say UCF has played no teams with a winning record. No need to research and see that UCF has now played 3 and 2 of UCF opponents knocked off ranked teams this week.
What two opponents have beat currently ranked teams? I couldn't find them. Thanks.

Neither of those teams are ranked now, so they don't count as ranked wins.

This is one of the main arguments we've all been making. IT'S WHAT TEAMS ARE RANKED AT THE END OF THE SEASon and not whatever week someone played them. During the Bama LSU game they were like, "LSU has played 4 ranked teams prior to this game." Wrong. They had played two because Miami and Auburn are no longer ranked. That leaves UF and Georgia that are actually ranked and they are 1-1 against them. 1-2 if you include Bama. Doesn't mean any other win isn't a solid win but ranked wins should only be assessed against the latest rankings.

That's why 2013 was so special. In the final AP poll we had played 3 of the top 15 teams and went 2-1 against them. In 2017 we played 4 teams ranked in the final AP poll and went 4-0 against them.

Temple beat Cincinnati
Legit...assuming Tuesday night they are ranked in the CFI, although I guess you should measure this against the CFI or AP polls. They may slightly differ, and there is no final CFI poll after the bowls are played so to me both of these could be referenced.

Last edited:
I said this from day 1. UCF is going to get left out and its not a shot at UCF. You all know money and media is what controls this deal. Unfortunately its going to be the same result at the end of the year. It's going to be what if, meaning this. Alabama will get the benefit of the doubt even if they lose a game before the CFP because of their resume from previous years. Kind of ironic though if UCF goes undefeated again, they won't give them the benefit of the doubt. Though Alabama has had two reprieves, one before the CFP when they played LSU in the title game, though they lost to LSU in the regular season and last year they didn't even win their division, yet still made the CFP.

Notre Dame will get exposed by a quality team and the win against Michigan does not count. Clemson may be the second best in the nation. The rest are up for grabs. And again it's funny because one of the arguments the media has used is a team can't control the teams on their schedule, they just have to beat them. And UCF is trying but they can't control the other teams wins and losses. And since these schedules are made years in advance its hard to see whose going to be good or not in the future. Just keep winning and keep making the media, primarily ESPN looking the tools.

Hold on are we saying we have bias in college football? Where games are settled on the fieee I mean board room table?

Syracuse wins:
Western Michigan (6-4...at least they have a pulse)
FSU (a mess this this year, and they played them early, when they were even worse than they are now)
Wagner (sucks)
UConn (sucks)
UNC (sucks)
NC State (6-2) Quality win
Wake (sucks....4-5...there wins are against Tulane, Towson, Rice, and Loserville)

Syracuse Losses:
Clemson (Get credit for a Quality Loss)
Pitt (5-4 but we all saw them first hand....we smoked those fools)

Games left:
Loserville (sucks)
Notre Dame....solid team. They've won every game, no matter if you want to pick apart their schedule or not. Winning all your games matters. I guess we'll see what they are both made of.
BC...solid team at 7-2 but wins are against: UMass, Holy Cross, Wake, Temple, Loserville, Miami, and VaTech. Their best win may be Temple. They lost to Purdue and NC State. They have a win over one team with a winning record, Miami (5-4). VaTech is 4-4.

the real problem is that mouth breathers from ESPN like Klatt says that UCF does not deserve to be even mentioned for CFB playoff as they don't play anybody.

as long as he is allowed to shoot off his mouth, G5 team will never get their shot.

This is a must-win game for Pitt and it is at home. If they beat VaTech, they may get ranked, although I think 6-4 is pretty weak to be ranked, but what that would mean is all they have to do is win one of their two final games after that to play in the ACC title game, and you know the powers that be will want to make them look as good as possible. If they get to 7-4, yeah that'll finally get them ranked. Remember, they have a "Quality Loss" to UCF this season!

Here'a how this weekend will likely go down in the ACC:
1. NC State is gonna stomp a mudhole in Wake
2. Syracuse is going to beat Loserville
3. Duke vs UNC...nobody cares
4. Virginia has a bye week with Liberty
5. Miami vs GaTech...gotta root for GaTech in that one.
6. I would really like to see FSU beat Notre Dame but they just have nothing on offense and will lose badly.
7. Clemson is going to embarrass BC.

Reactions: thespiritof1976
Pitt has now beaten 2 ranked teams. Do they get ranked this week?
Virginia is no longer going to be ranked after tonight so they will only have a win over ranked Syracuse for the time being. Syracuse still has to play Notre Dame and @BC after that so may not even finish the season ranked.

Pitt will finish the season having played 3 ranked opponents and getting three "quality losses" out of those games. That said, I hope they beat VaTech. It would be great to see them in the ACC title game.

Reactions: SimpleJack53
Virginia is no longer going to be ranked after tonight so they will only have a win over ranked Syracuse for the time being. Syracuse still has to play Notre Dame and @BC after that so may not even finish the season ranked.

Pitt will finish the season having played 3 ranked opponents and getting three "quality losses" out of those games. That said, I hope they beat VaTech. It would be great to see them in the ACC title game.
Virginia dropped to #45 in the Matrix after the Pitt loss, so it's still a Top 50 win for Pitt, which helps UCF. Now Pitt has 1 CM Top 25 and 3 CM Top 50 wins, same as Alabama. Now rooting for all losing UCF and Pitt opponents to win out and move into the CM Top 50. The biased CFI is dead to me.

Last edited:

Syracuse may win out and Pitt may win the ACC coastal. That would perfect for UCF on a few different fronts.

In all honesty, the point totals at #7/8-11/12 are so close, it could have happened to anyone.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT