ADVERTISEMENT

Will we see 'preemptive' Presidential pardons?

DaShuckster

Diamond Knight
Nov 30, 2003
Earlier this year, Republican-led Senate Intell Committee made criminal referrals of Trump's son, Don Jr., and son-in-law, Jared Kushner. So what's the likelihood that Trump issues blanket pardons for members of his family -- and hell, even himself.

I'm not sure preemptive pardons are even possible, but you can damn well be sure that Trump will try it out.

Reactions: shacket
Earlier this year, Republican-led Senate Intell Committee made criminal referrals of Trump's son, Don Jr., and son-in-law, Jared Kushner. So what's the likelihood that Trump issues blanket pardons for members of his family -- and hell, even himself.

I'm not sure preemptive pardons are even possible, but you can damn well be sure that Trump will try it out.

It doesn't seem like it should be possible, but it is.

It doesn't seem like it should be possible, but it is.
It's kind of like a scene out of the sci-fi thriller, The Minority Report, only in reverse.

I'm giving you a blanket pardon for something you might be charged with in the future.

It's kind of like a scene out of the sci-fi thriller, The Minority Report, only in reverse.

I'm giving you a blanket pardon for something you might be charged with in the future.

WOuldnt they have to at least specify would they are being pardoned for? I dont understand how a blanket pardon is even possible.

It seems very anti-justice.
Kind of like Trump inviting GOP Pennsylvania state legislators to the White House to 'chat' about their state's electoral college representatives or Trump's unanswered phone call to the GOP Governor of Arizona demanding he reject signing the papers certifying the results of his state's vote.

I doubt there is even a concept of blanket pardon for any future unknown charge. That is tin foil hat stuff. But we live in a commie age. Who knows

You're right. Pre-emptive is kind of deceiving here. It doesn't it protects against future crimes, just future charges against crimes that occurred up to the date of the pardon.

You're right. Pre-emptive is kind of deceiving here. It doesn't it protects against future crimes, just future charges against crimes that occurred up to the date of the pardon.
Even that seems 'tin foil hat' stuff to me. Nevertheless, my money is on Trump doing it for his kids and Jared anyway.

WOuldnt they have to at least specify would they are being pardoned for? I dont understand how a blanket pardon is even possible.

It sort of has precedent via Nixon.
Now, THEREFORE, I, GERALD R. FORD, President of the United States, pursuant to the pardon power conferred upon me by Article II, Section 2, of the Constitution, have granted and by these presents do grant a full, free, and absolute pardon unto Richard Nixon for all offenses against the United States which he, Richard Nixon, has committed or may have committed or taken part in during the period from January 20, 1969 through August 9, 1974.

Now, THEREFORE, I, GERALD R. FORD, President of the United States, pursuant to the pardon power conferred upon me by Article II, Section 2, of the Constitution, have granted and by these presents do grant a full, free, and absolute pardon unto Richard Nixon for all offenses against the United States which he, Richard Nixon, has committed or may have committed or taken part in during the period from January 20, 1969 through August 9, 1974.
I guess if the goal is the same, maybe its for the best. We don't need the media and the far left chasing the Trump family for alleged crimes if we really do want the country to come together. The Trump obsession needs to come to an end

Of course this was never tested in court. If Trump self-pardons, I think that will force DOJ's hand to push that into court. Otherwise, you're setting a de-facto precedent that POTUS could go on a public crime spree for 4 years without consequence. The idea that the people have no recourse against a criminal president is absurd. So I think Trump creates far more problems for himself if he does that.

HIs kids and Rudy could be interesting. I think Rudy is at the most risk. Going after his kids appears vindictive, whereas Rudy has been under investigation by Trump's DOJ. But again, I think from Trump's perspective that's a high risk move. If you present the pardon to avoid consequence, that eliminates your 5th amendment rights. So you can be forced to testify and if you lie, you're open to new perjury charges not covered by the pardon.

If Rudy has criminal risk AND it is in anyway associated with his role as Trump's personal attorney, than Trump will be opening a HUGE can of worms by pardoning him. Similar to a self pardon, it would be establishing precedent that POTUS could - in total mob boss fashion - run a criminal syndicate from the WH where the people have no legal recourse against the criminals.

So yea I think this is fascinating. The smart move is to resign and have Pence issue all the pardons.

I guess if the goal is the same, maybe its for the best. We don't need the media and the far left chasing the Trump family for alleged crimes if we really do want the country to come together. The Trump obsession needs to come to an end

To be completely honest, if Trump resigned and had Pence issue the pardons, I think that would be the best possible thing for the Biden administration. He doesn't want to keep Trump in the news with investigations. But on the other hand, he doesn't want to be responsible for establishing the idea the a criminal administration faces no consequences (assuming hard evidence of course). Pence issuing pardons mostly insulates him from both sides.

If Trump issues them it's a completely different story though.

Of course this was never tested in court. If Trump self-pardons, I think that will force DOJ's hand to push that into court. Otherwise, you're setting a de-facto precedent that POTUS could go on a public crime spree for 4 years without consequence. The idea that the people have no recourse against a criminal president is absurd. So I think Trump creates far more problems for himself if he does that.

HIs kids and Rudy could be interesting. I think Rudy is at the most risk. Going after his kids appears vindictive, whereas Rudy has been under investigation by Trump's DOJ. But again, I think from Trump's perspective that's a high risk move. If you present the pardon to avoid consequence, that eliminates your 5th amendment rights. So you can be forced to testify and if you lie, you're open to new perjury charges not covered by the pardon.

If Rudy has criminal risk AND it is in anyway associated with his role as Trump's personal attorney, than Trump will be opening a HUGE can of worms by pardoning him. Similar to a self pardon, it would be establishing precedent that POTUS could - in total mob boss fashion - run a criminal syndicate from the WH where the people have no legal recourse against the criminals.

So yea I think this is fascinating. The smart move is to resign and have Pence issue all the pardons.
The far left is going to lose their minds if any of them are granted a pardon. It'll be the biggest conspiracy ever.

The far left is going to lose their minds if any of them are granted a pardon. It'll be the biggest conspiracy ever.

Of course it's a huge story - as it should be. But I think the expectation is mostly baked in already.

But we sure as hell need to continue our Hunter Biden obsession!!!! :)

But we sure as hell need to continue our Hunter Biden obsession!!!! :)
It was never about Hunter, it was always about Joe. Yeah, if he's the president there needs to be additional scrutiny into that because it can still be something that affects our federal government.

It was never about Hunter, it was always about Joe. Yeah, if he's the president there needs to be additional scrutiny into that because it can still be something that affects our federal government.
Good luck with that one.

To be completely honest, if Trump resigned and had Pence issue the pardons, I think that would be the best possible thing for the Biden administration. He doesn't want to keep Trump in the news with investigations. But on the other hand, he doesn't want to be responsible for establishing the idea the a criminal administration faces no consequences (assuming hard evidence of course). Pence issuing pardons mostly insulates him from both sides.

If Trump issues them it's a completely different story though.
Biden would pardon Trump for the good of the country

stop pretending like you want politicians to face consequences for corruption. you know good and well your party would've dissolved by now if that was the case

Biden would pardon Trump for the good of the country
This is not Ford pardoning Nixon who leaves the White House in a helicopter and flies off into the sunset. Trump‘ doesn‘t plan to leave the public spotlight and may run again which throws the possibility of a Biden pardon (for the good of the country) out the window.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT