ADVERTISEMENT

Would you be in favor of a high school class that teaches the history of slavery?

Yes. Because 85 obviously needs a class:
You are asserting as fact that "the system" was exclusively designed (whatever on earth that means) to benefit only white people. Do you not see how insanely unproveable and vaguely generalized that is? There is literally nothing to even address or respond to when we're talking in absolutes about a "system" being entirely designed to somehow benefit only one race of people.

Would stuff like this give people perspective on the issue that would go beyond just thinking slavery was a white American thing?
Who the f*k believes slavery is a “White American thing”?

Like racism itself, the urge by some to ‘own’ other people is a human condition, not one limited to people of a certain skin-color or from a particular part of the world.

Who the f*k believes slavery is a “White American thing”?

Like racism itself, the urge by some to ‘own’ other people is a human condition, not one limited to people of a certain skin-color or from a particular part of the world.

There are a lot of people that associate slavery solely with white colonial Americans. You might know better, but ask any millennial their opinion on slavery and they immediately go with white American southerners. It does a disservice to the people today that find themselves in that exact same place.

And FTR, before anybody accuses me of playing to a narrative, I donated to a charity that fought to free people in this position,, and sponsored a woman who was rescued from slavery in Syria.

Reactions: UCFWayne
Slavery still exists in China and yet people in America use their Chinese made iPhone to claim that America is exclusively racist and oppressive

I view HBO's decision to shelve the classic 'Gone with the Wind' movie the same way I viewed similar decisions once-upon-a-time to remove Mark Twain's "Huckleberry Finn" from reading lists.

There's a Grand Canyon-wide difference between knocking over old confederate statues and essentially banning films and books that have something valuable to say to people of all generations.

I view HBO's decision to shelve the classic 'Gone with the Wind' movie the same way I viewed similar decisions once-upon-a-time to remove Mark Twain's "Huckleberry Finn" from reading lists.

There's a Grand Canyon-wide difference between knocking over old confederate statues and essentially banning films and books that have something valuable to say to people of all generations.
Columbus was a confederate?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT