ADVERTISEMENT

WOW! We are paying Aresco some big bucks! What is he doing for the AAC

Why is our revenue so low compared to the other aac members

The story mentions one factor...UCF/CINCI/UCONN still getting the bulk of money the Big East schools paid the American when they split off and took the name.

Other factors are the bowl UCF participated in that year (Cure Bowl which probably has one of the lowest payouts of any bowl) and NCAA tourney credits (since UCF hasn't participated in the basketball tournament in...well it seems like forever.

Reactions: Knight Strength
In my opinion, the TV revenue will definitely go up significantly. Question is, how significantly.

The American is much more of a known commodity now. Five years ago it was a huge risk...one that no network was willing to accept. NBC (possibly the cheapest of any broadcasting corporation) was the only one to present a serious bid for the conference TV rights, so all ESPN had to do was match the very low $ offer from NBC.

Now we are clearly the best of the non "Power" conferences and our TV ratings prove we can draw an audience much larger than what our current contract is paying us for.

We also did not know at the time of the initial contract that CBS Sports Network was going to sub-license conference content from ESPN. In a new contract arrangement, the AAC can split it's content into tiers and license what would essentially be Tier 2 content directly to CBS Sports network and make money off of it.

I think NBC will make a more serious offer for at least a portion of our content. Maybe even Fox and CBS as well. That would give us three or four entities who all have an interest in at least part of our Tier 1 content.

For a couple of years now, everyone has been predicting the death of cable due to cord cutting, but broadcast rights for live sports keep going higher and higher.

I'm not an expert, and I could be wrong about all this. I do tend to think optimistically about things in general.

Reactions: MckenzieMilton10
The American is much more of a known commodity now. Five years ago it was a huge risk...one that no network was willing to accept. NBC (possibly the cheapest of any broadcasting corporation) was the only one to present a serious bid for the conference TV rights, so all ESPN had to do was match the very low $ offer from NBC.

Now we are clearly the best of the non "Power" conferences and our TV ratings prove we can draw an audience much larger than what our current contract is paying us for.

We also did not know at the time of the initial contract that CBS Sports Network was going to sub-license conference content from ESPN. In a new contract arrangement, the AAC can split it's content into tiers and license what would essentially be Tier 2 content directly to CBS Sports network and make money off of it.

I think NBC will make a more serious offer for at least a portion of our content. Maybe even Fox and CBS as well. That would give us three or four entities who all have an interest in at least part of our Tier 1 content.

For a couple of years now, everyone has been predicting the death of cable due to cord cutting, but broadcast rights for live sports keep going higher and higher.

I'm not an expert, and I could be wrong about all this. I do tend to think optimistically about things in general.
For $1.7 Million, aresco should be calling Twitter, google, Facebook, amazon, and Netflix as well.
He gets paid about as much per year as UCF makes from the TV deal

Why is our revenue so low compared to the other aac members
This is from 2 years ago, not this past year. The 3 left overs get big checks from exit fees, We get less than 1/2 what they do. I think Temple, n Navy played in champ game. and Temple won conf. So they got some extra $$.

The story mentions one factor...UCF/CINCI/UCONN still getting the bulk of money the Big East schools paid the American when they split off and took the name.

Other factors are the bowl UCF participated in that year (Cure Bowl which probably has one of the lowest payouts of any bowl) and NCAA tourney credits (since UCF hasn't participated in the basketball tournament in...well it seems like forever.
It seems like the article says that USF,Cinn,Uconn, get more of the 70 million on top of these numbers which add up to $62.627 million (if my math is correct). So USF,Cinn,Uconn are splitting up the last $7.37 million...roughly?

**********In 2016-17, South Florida received $8.877 million from the AAC, followed by UConn($8.088 million), Cincinnati ($7.659 million), Houston ($5.410 million), Tulsa ($4.937 million) and Temple ($4.920 million). USF, UConn and Cincinnati are still receiving payments as part of the $70 million in exit fees for being former members of the Big East Conference, according to the Hartford Courant.

Memphis ($4.684 million), UCF ($4.042 million) East Carolina ($3.737 million), SMU($3.701 million), Tulane ($3.587 million) and Navy ($2.623 million) account for the rest of the league’s revenue breakdown.************

the old BE deal was around $8 mil per school

Keep in mind that was an OLD contract that had been negotiated years before the BE fell apart. The offer that the Big East turned down was reportedly for $11 million per school. Almost all live sports rights have gone up significantly since then.

I still feel that the AAC rights are worth a total of about $12 - $15 million per year for each team. I hope for $10 million, and I would be EXTREMELY pissed at anything under $7 million.

Keep in mind that was an OLD contract that had been negotiated years before the BE fell apart. The offer that the Big East turned down was reportedly for $11 million per school. Almost all live sports rights have gone up significantly since then.

I still feel that the AAC rights are worth a total of about $12 - $15 million per year for each team. I hope for $10 million, and I would be EXTREMELY pissed at anything under $7 million.

I think UCF and Houston are worth that, Memphis is getting there. But what’s going to hurt us is the rest of the conference. They’re going to look at Tulsa, Tulane, etc. and use that against us. That’s my fear.

I think UCF and Houston are worth that, Memphis is getting there. But what’s going to hurt us is the rest of the conference. They’re going to look at Tulsa, Tulane, etc. and use that against us. That’s my fear.

Sure, media companies can try to push aside actual data and use perception against us. But, every conference has teams that drag it down. The average TV ratings I have mentioned before are not confined to UCF, Houston, Navy and Memphis...it covered ALL AAC games that were televised in a given year.

Kind of a tough situation. The media markets in the AAC are large but are dominated by p5 teams at this point. It looks like that is starting to shift but may take another 10 years to break through and much of it will depend on how online broadcasting changes. Right now, UCF and USF has to compete with the other Florida schools, Memphis has to compete with Tennessee, Houston has the texas schools. Cincy has ohio st, penn st, etc.

What needs to happen is for the AAC to emulate the big 10 network and get exposure through cable company contracts as opposed to trying to get the espn dollars primarily. To that end, Aresco is failing.

What needs to happen is for the AAC to emulate the big 10 network and get exposure through cable company contracts as opposed to trying to get the espn dollars primarily. To that end, Aresco is failing.

AAC would get almost zero exposure if they relied and started up a small conf tv Network on various cable/sat systems.

UCF had over 16 Million viewers from their last 3 games last year that were on ABC/ESPN. (First 2 were because of the conf tv contract).

I don't see AAC ever giving up that type of exposure, even if other smaller networks offer more $$.

Kind of a tough situation. The media markets in the AAC are large but are dominated by p5 teams at this point. It looks like that is starting to shift but may take another 10 years to break through and much of it will depend on how online broadcasting changes. Right now, UCF and USF has to compete with the other Florida schools, Memphis has to compete with Tennessee, Houston has the texas schools. Cincy has ohio st, penn st, etc.

That’s what I’ve been saying. Get a cable channel with an app first. Even if we just got a channel available only shown in state of Florida that only shows UCF games it would be great exposure. Football couldn’t be a part of that channel with our current contract unless this channel was operated by ESPN but the basketball , soccer, baseball volleyball etc that aren’t on tv could be shown. If not an AAC Channel on all cable outlets would be nice.

That’s what I’ve been saying. Get a cable channel with an app first. Even if we just got a channel available only shown in state of Florida that only shows UCF games it would be great exposure. Football couldn’t be a part of that channel with our current contract unless this channel was operated by ESPN but the basketball , soccer, baseball volleyball etc that aren’t on tv could be shown. If not an AAC Channel on all cable outlets would be nice.

FYI, all AAC Conf Hoop Games are shown on ESPN Networks/platforms...along with most, not all, AAC non-conf home games.

You will never have a known channel/network developed AND paid for only show.AAC Baseball, Softball, tennis,volleyball, etc...

FYI, all AAC Conf Hoop Games are shown on ESPN Networks/platforms...along with most, not all, AAC non-conf home games.

You will never have a known channel/network developed AND paid for only show.AAC Baseball, Softball, tennis,volleyball, etc...
UCF can’t start a channel similar too Sunshine Network that only shows UCF in the State? Even if it operates at a loss it’s an advertising cost.

UCF can’t start a channel similar too Sunshine Network that only shows UCF in the State? Even if it operates at a loss it’s an advertising cost.

UCF Knights TV (Streaming) shows most all baseball, softball, women's basketball, volleyball, and soccer games. Technically speaking, those streams could be broadcast on a cable channel. But I cannot imagine any cable systems in Florida paying UCF for the right to do that.

UCF Knights TV (Streaming) shows most all baseball, softball, women's basketball, volleyball, and soccer games. Technically speaking, those streams could be broadcast on a cable channel. But I cannot imagine any cable systems in Florida paying UCF for the right to do that.
I’m not paying to watch that junk. I paid this past women’s basketball season to watch them in NIT to find out it wasn’t going to be shown on it. Tried watching baseball once but it’s too much of a hassle to watch on an app so I canceled it.

The thing is that's how EVERY conference is. There are around 5 teams in each league that are worth a dayum and the rest just sit there and get beat up for a paycheck. Why should the AAC be any different?

ADVERTISEMENT