ADVERTISEMENT

WSJ: Falling Oil Prices Spread Pain Across The Oil Patch

brahmanknight

Sep 5, 2007
Winter Park
_78291171_480340717.jpg

DALLAS-Rumor became reality here last week when dozens of workers lost their jobs at Laredo Petroleum Inc. The Oklahoma-based energy outfit said it closed its regional office to cope with plunging oil prices.

The layoffs were "kind of like a death in the family," says Robert Silver, age 62, a geophysicist who had helped Laredo decide where to drill in the Permian Basin in West Texas.

Trouble has been looming over the oil patch since crude prices began falling last summer, from over $100 a barrel to under $50 today. But only now are the long-feared effects of a bust starting to ripple through the complex energy ecosystem, affecting Houston executives, California landowners and oil old-timers in Oklahoma.

Many big energy companies have said they plan to slash billions of dollars in spending along with thousands of jobs; energy giant ConocoPhillips told employees Thursday to expect a salary freeze and layoffs. Indicators like drilling permits in Texas have fallen sharply.

Cutbacks aren't yet reflected in broad data on employment, home sales or tax collections. For example, the federal Bureau of Labor Statistics says that employment in oil and gas extraction rose in December to 216,100, the highest level since 1986.
But fallout is beginning to affect people, starting with the legions working as suppliers to the energy industry.

Eric Herschap is chief operations officer at Exclusive Energy Services LLC, a private company in Orange Grove, Texas, that offers services, including equipment rentals, to exploration companies. His customers are demanding price cuts of 15% to 25%

Laredo, the company that closed its Dallas office, said it was laying off 75 employees, about 20% of the workforce at the company, which has a stock-market value of about $1.3 billion.

"While it is a necessary step due to the substantial drop in commodity prices and the resultant reduction in the company's drilling activities, we do not take such actions lightly," it said.

This post was edited on 1/30 6:35 AM by brahmanknight

WSJ

I wonder if liberals still think we should be puntively taxing these meanie oil companies?

It will get worse before it gets better. In the meantime I will just enjoy stuffing my pockets with the extra cash. Once Saudi has crushed the competition we will be back at $4 to $5 per gallon. Without the drillers around to go back and get it.

Originally posted by UCFKnight85:
I wonder if liberals still think we should be puntively taxing these meanie oil companies?
Of course they do. A good number of them would be happy if all the American oil companies went out of business.

Originally posted by sk8knight:

Of course they do. A good number of them would be happy if all the American oil companies went out of business, then when gas is $7 a gallon they will want to raise the minimum wage and increase welfare payments to cope with the increase in prices.
FIFY.

Par for the course out there. Everyone out there is a big boy/girl. Nearly all of the people hurt by the short term losses benefitted from the short term gains. I for one do not lose sleep over a middle class sales guy, who happens to work in the oil industry, getting laid off when he knew what he was getting into and he knew what was eventually going to happen before it crashed. Wife number three might be upset that the mansion in Plano or Flower Mound or wherever is gone, but they should not have bought his and hers $70,000 pickups and SUVs just because everyone in the neighborhood had one.

The working class guys get hit, but they go where the money goes. Most of them had already started looking elsewhere. I would normally feel sorry for the generations of middle class shopkeepers who have weathered the past storms and would have to borrow to make it through this one. People in Florida don't know what it is like to drive through town and see every shop on block after block boarded up except one or two. It can be/has been ten times worse than Titusville in OK/TX. However, most of those folks back home have retired or were already pushed out by Wal-Mart and the malls.

And I certainly don't feel sorry for the third and fourth generation producers/wildcatters. They spent the best part of the last twenty years doing something else because Daddy lost it all in the late 90s. And whining about it. How grandpa had the huge house in Highland Park or Utica and they don't. Then 5 or 6 years ago, they leveraged out the wazhoo to get back in the bus on the strength of grandpa's name and dad's connections. Those arrogant babtards thought they were god's gift because the market was strong, banks would loan them money on their family name and home address, guys would work cheap to stay close to home, and the US still controls key segments of the supply chain. They thought it was their own brilliance.

Same goes for all those guys opening artisanal toast restaurants and such down in Blue Dome. A business model based on $8 beer and goat cheese aint going to go far now in Tulsa. And here you thought it was your brilliant cooking.

People are so vain.

I guarantee executive pay and shareholder dividends will be just fine after all the layoffs, and pay and benefit cuts.

Originally posted by chemmie:
I guarantee executive pay and shareholder dividends will be just fine after all the layoffs, and pay and benefit cuts.
roll.r191677.gif

Oil companies are suspending dividends left and right yet you still say stupid shit like this.

There are literally tons of thousands of jobs set to dissapear yet you still think this is a mangement induced crisis. AKA you can't get past your irrational belief that every company is run by evil rich people, out to destroy poor ol' workers along the way.

Amazes me people are always surprised about the economic reality that wealth flows to owners (cummie complaining about stock comp)

Hell it's my opinion if you eliminated the retarded progressive tax system execs wouldn't have to resort to stock comp ffs
Posted from Rivals Mobile

Stop being so racist coke and 85. These poor lineman and roughnecks are struggling to survive because of whitey. They'd be better off in India.

Shooter McGavin: Here's a free lesson

XOM has a DSPP for $250 up front $50 a month after no fees to own easy profits - or complain. Beat em or join em...

roll.r191677.gif

Oil companies are suspending dividends left and right yet you still say stupid shit like this.
You must have missed the big headline this week:
"Big Oil Cuts $20 Billion In 5 Hours To Protect Dividends"

It has gotten really boring making you look bad. Your comments are never based on facts. You never provide any kind of supporting evidence to support your claims. And, finding contrary evidence is usually just a Google search away, which you promptly ignore. I feel like I'm fighting a 12 year old, just putting my palm on your forehead to keep you at bay while you swing wildly, never posing an actual threat.

roll.r191677.gif

It has gotten really boring making you look bad. Your comments are never based on facts. You never provide any kind of supporting evidence to support your claims. And, finding contrary evidence is usually just a Google search away, which you promptly ignore. I feel like I'm fighting a 12 year old, just putting my palm on your forehead to keep you at bay while you swing wildly, never posing an actual threat.
Oh noz! Not 1 Dutch owned company stating they *GASP* want to protect a dividend that has been provided to investors for years and years. OH NOZ!!

Your idiocy continues. The OP's article was largely about small and medium sized businesses, my response was in reply to that, and here you throw around the actions of a single foreign owned company.

It's fitting though that you still don't understand that a company's primary function is to return wealth to shareholders. I know you're a neo-communist and think companies should only exist to employ people, but you have it ass backwards and you apparently dont' understand this.

I hoped they saved money when the times were good. No handouts for them now. Pull themselves up by their bootstraps

#GoSolar

Originally posted by sk8knight:

Of course they do. A good number of them would be happy if all the American oil companies went out of business.
I'm no liberal but I could care less if these people lose their jobs due to low gas prices. They are the same ones making money when we pay high prices. Its reality and the reality is more people have more money because of the low prices.

You have to be one of the dumbest person alive.

I'm sure you bitch about "global warming" while you get on that plane on your next vacation, you will also bitch about the wealth gap as you stuff your face with over priced food and beer.

Tell us chemmie, do you live in the hood, do you walk or ride your bike for transportation (we know that answer) do you give your large amounts of your income to charity. Let me guess, the answers are always no.

Originally posted by Whataknight:
I hoped they saved money when the times were good. No handouts for them now. Pull themselves up by their bootstraps

#GoSolar
Actually agree with all of this. And wouldn't it be great if solar could meet our energy needs.

Originally posted by Sir Galahad:

This is some funny stuff right here.

Originally posted by KnighttimeJoe:

Sorry about the grammar, I forgot that we have elementary school teachers here to correct us.

Sorry about the grammar, I forgot that we have elementary school teachers here to correct us.
That would be true if I taught elementary school. Or middle school. Or high school.

THOSE WHO CAN'T DO TEACH!!!!!!!!!!

(I will save you the time and effort.)
No need, we all knew already. If you taught grad school maybe.

Um, I do. But thanks for playing..

That would be true if I taught elementary school. Or middle school. Or high school.
Spoken like a true blue elitist.
nerd.r191677.gif

Originally posted by goodknightfl:

nerd.r191677.gif
It's not my fault that I have 60-70 IQ points on you and everyone else around here. Blame God.

roll.r191677.gif

Oh noz! Not 1 Dutch owned company stating they *GASP* want to protect a dividend that has been provided to investors for years and years. OH NOZ!!

Your idiocy continues. The OP's article was largely about small and medium sized businesses, my response was in reply to that, and here you throw around the actions of a single foreign owned company.

It's fitting though that you still don't understand that a company's primary function is to return wealth to shareholders. I know you're a neo-communist and think companies should only exist to employ people, but you have it ass backwards and you apparently dont' understand this.
You didn't read the article, Copernicus. Stop being a moron.

"Occidental Petroleum Corp. and ConocoPhilips also announced lower spending today. BP Plc has frozen wages and Chevron Corp. delayed its 2015 drilling budget. By cutting investment, companies aim to protect returns to investors."

nerd.r191677.gif
It's not my fault that I have 60-70 IQ points on you and everyone else around here. Blame God.
IQ doubtful, EGO undeniable.

roll.r191677.gif

"Occidental Petroleum Corp. and ConocoPhilips also announced lower spending today. BP Plc has frozen wages and Chevron Corp. delayed its 2015 drilling budget. By cutting investment, companies aim to protect returns to investors."
Yet most all of these companies are still reducing their dividend as they see their share price get hammered.

Do you understand that a company exists first and foremost to return wealth to shareholders?

Originally posted by Whataknight:

#GoSolar
I know you're giddy about oil companies getting hammered, but you do realize that really cheap oil makes high priced solar even more unattractive, yes?

Simply crushing domestic oil companies will not usher in a utopian left wing dream of power via solar and wind only.

nerd.r191677.gif
IQ doubtful, EGO undeniable.
Yeah, what was I thinking. I really sold myself short against geniuses like you. The good people in my Mensa chapter think it's more like 80-90 points.

Um, I do. But thanks for playing..
Tell me joe, what real life experience do you have in your field, just curious.

roll.r191677.gif

Yet most all of these companies are still reducing their dividend as they see their share price get hammered.

Do you understand that a company exists first and foremost to return wealth to shareholders?

Oh, so you agree with my original post. Cool.
Good job.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT