ADVERTISEMENT

XFL play games in Spectrum stadium?

But this Football League is set to play in the spring when MLS starts and while that stadium size would be perfect for XFL, I dont see OC allowing them to "chew up" their grass surface.

The first home game on a Sunday for Orlando City this year is April 8th. The Super Bowl is on February 4th. If the XFL started on the Sunday after the Super Bowl, the 10 week regular season would last from 2/11-4/15. With all the potential revenue involved for the MLS stadium owners, I think they could make it work. Playoff games for the XFL could be scheduled for when the MLS team is not playing at home that weekend and the MLS schedules could accommodate the cities with XFL teams to have more away games at the very beginning of the season on Sundays with home games played on Friday and Saturday. Only the XFL would be impacted by field conditions in that scenario.

They can use the intramural fields.

How do we get one of those lingerie teams for Spectrum? That would be a great recruiting tool.
They played a game at UCF’s bank arena once. Was really tempted to check it out but tickets were way overpriced.

But this Football League is set to play in the spring when MLS starts and while that stadium size would be perfect for XFL, I dont see OC allowing them to "chew up" their grass surface.
i have a concern about the health of the field as well. They do more than Orlando Soccer. They have foreign and other exhibition match ups too.

If Orlando City takes up another team, Church Street West can use more hotels and related businesses nearby.

No. I’d rather not have that non-sense be associated with UCF in anyway.
If it makes UCFAA, Inc. money, I'm all for it.

But I assume there are a lot of liabilities involved, that would need to be addressed, and possibly could not, on a campus.

Neither UCF, nor Orlando need this temporary experiment.

UCF, Magic, Orlando City...thats enough.

If central Florida is forced to have them, let them play at Disney or something.

If ther original XFL games at the CDump where an indicator, they would need to allow a lot of beer dates throughout the stadium...

Tired of the "you are a fan if...." crap but also sick of the denigration so, "If you can't name the UCF players on the Rage, without Google, you're not a real fan." lol.

Who wants pay to watch a “pro” team the local college team can legitimately beat?

Football withdrawal kicks in during March/April, when weather is beautiful here...you might be surprised but yeah, it won't be like the USFL that had legit national stars in their league.

Football withdrawal kicks in during March/April, when weather is beautiful here...you might be surprised but yeah, it won't be like the USFL that had legit national stars in their league.
Well, several USFL teams did start going bankrupt with some of those type of acquisitions for 'legit national stars' in its final years.

But yes, early on, the USFL smartly played in the spring, and they took on many players that were overlooked in the NFL draft. It's too bad they started to look at themselves as a potential expansion target for the NFL, largely because of The Don.

Reactions: thespiritof1976
The arena football league has folded. The XFL will be the best chance for college players to get a second chance at the NFL like UCF’s Justin McCray:
http://m.packers.com/news/article/j...ckers-53-dff6bc0e-cfb7-4cd0-ab27-355c4aee5117
I’d be in support of the team returning to Orlando.
Arena had its chance, had its heyday, but it's now gone, and likely never to return.

The best bet for any league is to reduce costs and avoid competition with the NFL. The WLAF/NFL Europe still had the team size and cost issues. But there is certainly great interest in American-rules Football outside of the US.

Someone has to get radical and really look at how to reduce the size of the rosters, players on-the-field, and the corresponding rules/field to make it happen. I think there's definitely a way to do it, and other sports have done similarly.

The change in rules to smaller rosters and number of players on the field would also, eventually see it become an olympic sport too.

The arena football league has folded. The XFL will be the best chance for college players to get a second chance at the NFL like UCF’s Justin McCray:

http://m.packers.com/news/article/j...ckers-53-dff6bc0e-cfb7-4cd0-ab27-355c4aee5117

I’d be in support of the team returning to Orlando.

It hasn't folded....yet. They are going to play the 2018 season with a 12 game, 4 TEAM schedule. Then again, it could all blow up and the remaining teams could defect to one of the other leagues such as the IFL or even the NAL.

Then once the AFL officially folds, one of those leagues will go and buy the AFL assets for pennies on the dollar, bring back the AFL, and then it will go on until it happens again....ugh...

Can't believe that about 15 years ago the Arena League was all the rage. Now it is not even a feather duster.

Reactions: scottb411
Well, several USFL teams did start going bankrupt with some of those type of acquisitions for 'legit national stars' in its final years.

But yes, early on, the USFL smartly played in the spring, and they took on many players that were overlooked in the NFL draft. It's too bad they started to look at themselves as a potential expansion target for the NFL, largely because of The Don.

Even if you-know-who hadn't gotten them to try to play in the fall I am not so sure the league would have lasted beyond another 5 years or so anyway.

All of those expansion dollars had dried up.

Even if you-know-who hadn't gotten them to try to play in the fall I am not so sure the league would have lasted beyond another 5 years or so anyway.
The original owners knew what they were doing. But "The Don" convinced too many new owners that the way forward was to get on the NFL's expansion radar.

All of those expansion dollars had dried up.
In the NFL, yes. But I think the USFL would have survived if it would have stuck with its original formula ... at least until the early '90s recession at the very least.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT