ADVERTISEMENT

You all owe Shannon an apology.

Happy Hands

Golden Knight
Sep 18, 2009
I'm remembering this the way I want to, where I said be patient and wait for Shannon to get his system in place and you guys all said we should fire him.

The defense is a pack of hungry pitbulls because Shannon kept them in cages all offseason, poking them with sticks and telling them they belong at USF.

Last edited:
Major kudos to him. I have been saying since the offseason that the talent starting on defense is better than the talent we started last year. I think Hancock, Goode, and a new starting MLB make a big difference. Talking heads only care about how many returning starters you have.

With Randy Jr graduating and his Florida contract buyout money both ending after this season, IMO Coach Shannon is playing for his next (and possibly last) big payday at a deep pocketed program.

I expect to see a lot of creativity this season.
Have to shine in that contract year

UCF benefits

With Randy Jr graduating and his Florida contract buyout money both ending after this season, IMO Coach Shannon is playing for his next (and possibly last) big payday at a deep pocketed program.

I expect to see a lot of creativity this season.
The program just needs to figure out a way to keep the man. Hopefully he sees what we have here. I realize he stayed at Miami for years and he went there, but this has to be a nice gig and he doesn’t need to travel crazy to find players. Just pay the man if this keeps going.

Reactions: Nautiknight
I went over to their board for comedy and some are already calling for Frost’s head. What a bunch of arrogant jerks. Scott is a good coach and took advantage of a unique situation here, truly changed or offensive mindset. But it is like they thought we were a crap program before he came along. O’Leary, for good and the bad built a program here, unfortunately for him he agreed to stay on after the Fiesta bowl victory. It wasn’t like we didn’t have success before Frost showed up. Nebraska fans and media kept comparing his year two here and thought it was going to happen there. Sorry but we haven’t sucked since the new millennia.

i saw all i needed last year to know that he was a great coach. great coaches know how to make adjustments and we made them last year. like mike tyson said, "everyone has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." what do you do then. we did a lot last year.

Reactions: Finance2000Knight
I always thought Randy would do well here. He didn't have the bodies he needed last year, and yet they usually played lights out the second half of most games. That is coaching. I for one will hate to see him go, when he goes..

Happy to see them playing better but I don't wanna get too hyped up over FAMU/FAU. If we can have good production against Stanford/Pitt, I'll be all in on this group.
Stanford shouldn't be as big a test as PITT away.

Probably going to get the FSU position either this year or next. Would give him the chance to beat both teams that crossed him and leave UCF out of his cross hairs. If not next year, the year after?

Shannon would be great to keep here another year if possible, but I see him as too ambitious of a guy. He wants to head another program. I think he was our back up head coach if Heupel didn’t pan out. Shannon was disliked by UF because he was too timid of a DC. Miami fired him because they didn’t see a National Championship in 4 years from him. With FSU, I think their expectations will be Bowl eligibility and competing for their division.

I always thought Randy would do well here. He didn't have the bodies he needed last year, and yet they usually played lights out the second half of most games. That is coaching. I for one will hate to see him go, when he goes..
I hope he gets the opportunity to groom his son as a defensive coach here after his son graduates here. That should keep him around for a while.

We should make randy Shannon signs and show him the love. Most of the positions he has had at different teams show him no love. Maybe if we do he stays

Reactions: Knight Strength
Probably going to get the FSU position either this year or next. Would give him the chance to beat both teams that crossed him and leave UCF out of his cross hairs. If not next year, the year after?

Shannon would be great to keep here another year if possible, but I see him as too ambitious of a guy. He wants to head another program. I think he was our back up head coach if Heupel didn’t pan out. Shannon was disliked by UF because he was too timid of a DC. Miami fired him because they didn’t see a National Championship in 4 years from him. With FSU, I think their expectations will be Bowl eligibility and competing for their division.
I think it's reasonable to feel that Shannon might leave. I also think it's reasonable to feel that in that case Heup could find an effective replacement. with that said, I hope that we can find a way to keep Shannon. He gets the job done.

I'm remembering this the way I want to, where I said be patient and wait for Shannon to get his system in place and you guys all said we should fire him.

The defense is a pack of hungry pitbulls because Shannon kept them in cages all offseason, poking them with sticks and telling them they belong at USF.
Yup. I did. Let's hope I continue to be wrong on that call.

Eh... D line didn’t look great early when it was still close. Not a lot of pressure on QB and some chunk runs by FAU. When they were down a bunch and they could all out pass rush they looked better. Good schools that won’t happen though.

Eh... D line didn’t look great early when it was still close. Not a lot of pressure on QB and some chunk runs by FAU. When they were down a bunch and they could all out pass rush they looked better. Good schools that won’t happen though.
Only 1 TD scored in game. That was in 4th quarter when it was a blowout. None when it was even somewhat close.

The program just needs to figure out a way to keep the man. Hopefully he sees what we have here. I realize he stayed at Miami for years and he went there, but this has to be a nice gig and he doesn’t need to travel crazy to find players. Just pay the man if this keeps going.
We are paying him. His UF buyout ends but we are picking up their portion next year which is $1M. RS is staying unless the $EC calls and they'll have to top $1.3M/yr. I think RS would prefer to stay in Florida.

I think it's reasonable to feel that Shannon might leave. I also think it's reasonable to feel that in that case Heup could find an effective replacement. with that said, I hope that we can find a way to keep Shannon. He gets the job done.
If RS leaves (which I doubt), we'll just hire Charlie Strong and let usf supplement his salary.

Reactions: Knight Strength
Only 1 TD scored in game. That was in 4th quarter when it was a blowout. None when it was even somewhat close.
Yeah but they moved the ball well and just couldn’t punch it in. Better team may have. Still don’t like the chunk plays and third and longs we gave up. I wanted to see domination of the line and didn’t see it.

Yeah but they moved the ball well and just couldn’t punch it in. Better team may have. Still don’t like the chunk plays and third and longs we gave up. I wanted to see domination of the line and didn’t see it.
I can’t remember when the stat popped up but, at one point, we had 21 pressures (sacks/hurries/knockdowns) on 33 drop backs which is ridiculous, even against FAU.

If RS leaves (which I doubt), we'll just hire Charlie Strong and let usf supplement his salary.

And Willie Taggart could be his assistant raking in that 17 mill. At that point they will be happy to be in safe winning territory and paying us. That could fund 20,000 more seats.

Reactions: firm_bizzle
I've been defending him from the get go.

He has a conservative defense that prevents the big play. I like that.

Reactions: firm_bizzle
I can’t remember when the stat popped up but, at one point, we had 21 pressures (sacks/hurries/knockdowns) on 33 drop backs which is ridiculous, even against FAU.
16 tackles for loss... 'nuff said

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT