ADVERTISEMENT

YouTube to enter the subscription TV market

382.gif

The initial offerings are fairly comprehensive: subscribers will get full access to news channels including ABC, CBS, NBC, and Fox, popular news outlets including MSNBC, Fox News, and Fox Business, and other channels including ESPN, USA, FX, Oxygen, E!, Disney Channel, and National Geographic. YouTube TV will also stream content from local television networks to bring local news and weather information to subscribers in participating areas. Other premium channels, including Showtime, will be available to add on to a subscription for an additional fee.

Really excited about that part. I need CBS SN come football season.

I'm curious what they offer when it comes to locals. Saying ABC/NBC/Fox/CBS on board just means you'll have access to the On-Demand shows, a day later and without fast-forward.

Reactions: UCFWayne
I'm curious what they offer when it comes to locals. Saying ABC/NBC/Fox/CBS on board just means you'll have access to the On-Demand shows, a day later and without fast-forward.

Good catch...gotta check the small details.

Another thing to find out about is if it supports the companion apps. If you get access to the NBCSports, for instance, you'll have access to live sports events on NBC. This is how I watched the summer olympics, even though PS Vue didn't carry my local NBC affiliate. Same applies for CBS and the CBS Sports app (but NOT CBS Sports Network). Like @UCFWayne said, this is the first streaming TV service to offer CBSSN, so that's a huge plus as a UCF fan.

No TBS/TNT so NBA fans wont like that. Also I didnt see CNN listed which seems very odd. That one should almost be automatic.

Now that CBS is getting involved with streaming services, I am hopeful that Vue will be able to pick them up. I dont think I will be switching over to YouTube TV when it is released.

OK, stupid old person question. How does one DVR these streaming services? I absolutely refuse to watch commercials.

OK, stupid old person question. How does one DVR these streaming services? I absolutely refuse to watch commercials.
The DVR is at the datacenter. So you go into the app for the service and all the things you recorded are there for you to play. The app on the cable box has been moved to an app on your Roku, if that makes sense.

The DVR is at the datacenter. So you go into the app for the service and all the things you recorded are there for you to play. The app on the cable box has been moved to an app on your Roku, if that makes sense.
I would also add not all the services have a working "dvr" type function. and sometimes select stations, it doesnt work.

Reactions: SublimeKnight
I would also add not all the services have a working "dvr" type function. and sometimes select stations, it doesnt work.
Very true. PS Vue works the most like a traditional DVR from my experience.

I work in this field. Most of these hitches in how these services work are caused by outdated contracts. To give you an example, in a cloud dvr system, where 1 million people are recording the same program, some of these contracts require a unique copy be stored for each of those recordings.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT