ADVERTISEMENT

ZTE

Ace of Knights

Silver Knight
Sep 6, 2009
WTF is Trump doing wanting to save this company? Their products are a known risk national security as stated by DOD for the risk they pose with spying on Americans. Not to mention they have routinely broken U.S. sanctions with sales to North Korea and Iran.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/business/economy/congress-threatens-to-block-deal-between-white-house-china-to-save-telecom-giant-zte/2018/05/25/1db326ba-604a-11e8-9ee3-49d6d4814c4c_story.html?hpid=hp_hp-top-table-main_trumpzte-825pm:homepage/story

Isn’t ZTE the pill that Bradley Cooper took to become real smart in that one movie?

Reactions: Knightiac
+1 to ZTE and huawei phones being literal spyware. Glad we are saving their company tho, MCGA!

Last edited:
Actually, ZTE's history isn't spying. Huawei hasn't either. In fact, both of them have 'kept their noses very clean' in their US retail products.

Cannot say the same for US-based Blu Products, as well as some of the US carrier's "partners" that outsource and off-shore. Even a few corporate and government 'distributors' of US branded retail phones have been caught with Chinese spyware that was a result of 'off-shore' support. The same goes for any 'refurbished' and 'gray market' phones that come into this country, including ZTE and Huawei. Unless you buy US retail, non-carrier, sealed from the factory, you're at a risk of spyware by someone along the channel.

No, the problem is that ZTE sold US equipment directly to Iran. Period. That's a violation ... and then they did it ... again! Sorry, death penalty.

Now Huawei is a different story. In Huawei's case, they had a partner that tried to sell to Iran, and when they were caught, Huawei cut them off, and their partners. Huawei is big enough, they cut off Google. For those that didn't know, the Google Pixel (1st gen) is the HTC Ceberus. Why? Because the Huawei Mate 9 was the Google Pixel ... until early 2016, when Huawei's CEO cut Google off, completely, as Google reneg'd on terms in their contract.

Huawei is about power. The US government fears the size of Huawei. They are the leader in 5G backend equipment. The US is trying to build a more 'domestic' base for national security reasons. In that regard, it's not an unwise move to try to not give more infrastructure Huawei, unlike Europe, where Huawei has major infiltration. They own the 'backend' stuff, and are #2 on the 'consumer' side.

Understand Huawei, unlike ZTE, is huge. They make everyone's equipment, household name US companies, with lots of 'partners' everywhere, especially when it comes to US branded products. They might be #3 in phones, but they have long been #1 in backend equipment. Huawei had also been the 'new darling' of developers, because as Google has been overcharging for products, Huawei's phones were ideal for developers.

Huawei's Silicon (HiSilicon) Kirin is usually the first chip to the market with the latest ARM cores, as well as their Mali GPUs. And Huawei makes everything end-to-end, so theirs no risk of a 'middleman' adding spyware. So if you want a cheap, leading edge phone with an unlocked bootloader, Huawei -- not Google -- had been preferred. Especially with Huawei releasing the full source code several years back, and good about releasing it within months of the new phone's release. Nearly all carrier phones never do that. That also meant you could always load your own firmware if you didn't trust Huawei.

But Huawei announced they are ending the bootloader unlock this past week, to take effect immediately for future phones, and 60 days for existing. So I've had to drop my recommendations for them as a developer phone.

I personally carry Honor (Huawei's youth brand, typically 6-12 month old technology from their prior flagship), because I can unlock the bootloader and install my own firmware. But I won't in the future.

Ivanka Trump’s business has won approval from the Chinese government for at least five new trademarks. The approval came just days before President Donald Trump announced he was working on a controversial deal to drop U.S. prohibitions against China cellphone manufacturer ZTE.

The trademarks grant Ivanka Trump operations exclusive rights to market a variety of products in China that could potentially amount to millions of dollars in profits.

Ivanka Trump Marks LLC received approval last year for several other trademarks after she began working in the White House. Three of them were granted the same day she dined with Chinese President Xi Jinping at Mar-a-Lago.

Purely coincidence I'm sure.

Also sidenote: @UCFBS is, of course, full of bullshit yet again. Or he's right and the FBI Director is full of shit, I'll let you decide.

FBI Director Chris Wray and a team of security officials tell the Senate Intelligence Committee that Huawei and ZTE pose threats to the US.

https://www.cnet.com/news/huawei-zte-fbi-chris-wray-nsa/

Last edited:
So helping them create and manufacture devices that will be used to spy on people and possibly steal even more IP is the answer?

I raised the fact that we should push back on China’s theft of IP in another thread and a poster told me that I have to shut up and accept it since I have an iPhone that was made in China.

I wonder if that same poster feels the same here. If I get my iPhone made cheaply in China then we just gotta deal with their espionage attempts via corporate intermediaries !

Reactions: UCFBS
Reactions: NinjaKnight
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT