Saturday, Oct. 12 vs. Cincinnati
Saturday, Oct. 19 at Iowa State
Saturday, Oct. 26 vs. BYU
Saturday, Nov. 2 vs. Arizona
Saturday, Nov. 9 at Arizona State
Saturday, Nov. 16 - BYE
Saturday, Nov. 23 at West Virginia
Friday, Nov. 29 vs. Utah (Black Friday)

If you went back in time just a few years ago and showed a UCF fan this 2024 schedule, what would they think had transpired?

I keep on gazing at this slate of games and it's absolutely trippy. UCF is playing both Arizona schools, Colorado, BYU and Utah all in the same season?

In that time travel scenario, I guess at some point my old self would have guessed UCF (and Cincinnati) joined some sort of Big 12/PAC hybrid league, but it's still wild to me seeing how realignment has completely shattered the concept of geographical conferences.

At the end of the day, that's fine by me as UCF is clearly one of the biggest benefactors of the recent shifts.

Now, looking at the schedule:

-Season opener vs. FCS New Hampshire is moving to Thursday. This was reported a few weeks ago, but always expected. You'd have to go back to 2016 for the last time UCF opened the season on a Saturday (vs. South Carolina State). Ever since then, it's been Thursday starts.*

*(The 2020 schedule was blown up due to COVID, but UCF was originally set to open at home vs. UNC on the first Friday. The opener ended up being a few weeks later at Georgia Tech).

-Sam Houston joined FBS last season and is a member of C-USA, finishing with a 3-9 record. They lost their first eight games before winning three of their last four.

-We always figured the third weekend would be a Big 12 game, considering UCF has Florida in October and two Big 12 opponents (TCU and Iowa State) had vacancies. Now we know it's TCU. That's fine, I guess. I would have preferred Iowa State in this slot over a steamy September trip to Texas, but it's fine.

I was able to tour TCU's stadium during my 2021 trip to the SMU game and it's quite impressive.

-With how Labor Day falls this year, there's an extra weekend before Thanksgiving so schools have two bye weeks. I would have loved that first bye to be a week later prior to the Florida game, especially since the Gators have one then, but it is what it is.

-Big 12 home opener vs. Colorado and Coach Prime. That will be a hot ticket.

-Early October game in the Swamp vs. Florida - we already knew that. UCF will have already played two Big 12 games (TCU, Colorado) and Florida will have already played Miami, Texas A&M and Mississippi State.

-Next up is the home game vs. Cincinnati. That will hold some intrigue especially with UCF's two-game winning streak in the series and the recent influx of Bearcat transfers.

-Mid-October road trip to Iowa State. At least it's not late November. It will probably be a bit chilly, but manageable. I already booked my hotel in Ames.

-Then it's the two-game homestand vs. BYU (Oct. 26) and Arizona (Nov. 2), two western teams making long treks to Florida.

-The Nov. 9 road trip to Arizona State is the seventh consecutive game without a bye. Having a bye date after this game is key. Who knows when the game will be, it could be a Saturday 10 p.m. EST kickoff. This allows the opportunity to regroup and recharge afterward.

-UCF's toughest games could be their final two: at West Virginia and Black Friday vs. Utah. WVU shocked a lot of people this past season, many figured Neal Brown wouldn't last the year. And Cam Rising is expected to be back at QB for Utah.

-Aside from Black Friday vs. Utah and UCF's choice to open the season on a Thursday, every other game is on a Saturday.

-In all honesty, it's a crapshoot trying to predict the top of this conference. The trendy pick would've been Arizona, but that's probably out the window due to the recent coaching change. I haven't kept up with their portal exits, and I guess there's always the spring window to watch as well. They may still be good, but I'd assume they're taking a pretty big hit.

TCU and Iowa State should decently good, but not worldbeaters. Tough games though being on the road.

Colorado is more hype than substance.

Cincinnati might be the pick for the worst team in the Big 12. BYU and Arizona State may not be far behind.

UCF upgraded at most positions via the transfer portal and Gus made big moves within the coaching staff. Will it work out? We'll find out, but I would certainly hope is in the Big 12 Championship hunt come late November. Given the expected strength of WVU and Utah, those games could be particularly meaningful in terms of the conference championship game.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News